Author Topic: Music News  (Read 221100 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: CSN&Y
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 11:26:53 am »
That's great Katie, thanx for posting. One of the last songs that the band played Thursday nite was "Ohio" and I found that my children didn't know anything about what the song referred to. For those of you who are interested, there is a great site that tells all about it, and here it is:

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ohio.htm

Briefly, on May 4, 1970, soldiers came to the campus of Kent State University in Ohio and shot dead four students who were protesting the War in Vietnam. This was during my first year of college.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 12:33:30 pm »
Great review of the Denver concert in USA Today:

http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 12:42:12 pm »
AND, you can listen to the entire "Living With War" album on Neil Young's MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/neilyoung

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 12:19:34 am »
I hope that I'm not causing a problem by continuing to post information about this concert, but I have quite a lot more yet to say about it, so be forewarned! Tonite, I'd like to post some lyrics to a song or two that was performed at the concert. On the Thread, "What Song Reminds You of Brokeback Mountain" I posted the lyrics to Neil Young's song, Only Love Can Break Your Heart." He performed that at the Red Rocks Concert and it was, in a word, heartbreaking. But he also sang some of his new songs, and here is one of them:

LIVING WITH WAR

And when the dawn breaks
I see my fellow man
And on the flat screen
We kill and are killed again
And when the right fails
I pray for peace
Try to remember Peace
I join the multitudes
I raise my hand in peace
I never bow to the laws of the thought Police
I take a holy vow
To never kill again
to never kill again.

Don't take no tidal wave
Don't take no mass grave
Don't take no smokin gun
To show how the west was won
But when the curtain falls I pray for peace
Try to remember peace
in the crowded streets
In the big hotels
in the mosques and the doors of the old museums
I take a holy vow
To never kill again
Try to remember peace

The rockets red glare (You really have to listen to this, it is amazing!)
Bombs bursting in air (ditto)
Give proof through the night
That our flag is still there

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: CSN&Y Concert
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 02:59:30 pm »
Here is yet another pic of the concert when it was in full swing.

What you are looking at here is where they sang: We are one person, we are two together, we are three alone, we are four each other" Each time they sang a line, another spotlight would come on until all four were illuminated. It was a big hit with the audience.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: CSN&Y Concert
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 11:54:33 pm »
Everybody here will find this hard to believe, but I've never been a serious CSN&Y fan. They were always just a part of the wallpaper of my life. But, lo and behold, after attending a concert of theirs last Thursday, I looked at my collection of albums, and I have a total of 15 CSN&Y albums, believe it or not!! Here are some of them:

Neil Young: Comes A Time
Buffalo Springfield: The Best of...
Neil Young: Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
Neil Young
Neil Young: On the Beach
The Stills/Young Band: Long May You Run
Neil Young: After the Gold Rush
Neil Young: Live at the Los Angeles Music Center
Stephen Stills
Crosby Stills and Nash
Graham Nash, David Crosby
Wind on the Water (Crosby, Nash)
CSN: Crosby Stills & Nash
Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Rust Never Sleeps

And the latest one I need to add is, Young: Living With War
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:56:48 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Music News
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 09:49:28 am »
What a beautiful place...and what an atmosphere to watch the band...thanks for the pics....
 and Front Ranger, I, too am a Mark Knopfler fan, and the theme song from Local Hero is one of my favourite tunes....the build up of the guitars is fantastic....in the beginning I feel sad, but as it gets faster, I feel happier....It is the best....

Wow, Lee and Katie, I am coming to this thread late (followed the link from Lee's Birthday Thread to see her pic of her in The Hat  :) ;))
but now that I am here, two things: I love the Local Hero soundtrack too! Local Hero is one of my favorite movies, and I've loved that music since I was about 14, more than 20 years ago now. If you haven't seen the movie, you simply must. It's a gem. We could talk about that here for hours. Well I could ;D. I'm actually planning a trip to Scotland next year where I will hopefully go to at least one of the shooting locations.

Also, seeing red rocks brings me back to when I lived in Boulder. Sigh...it was beautiful there. I am visiting in early September, looking forward to being around those moutains and hills.

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 10:40:15 am »
If you like the music from Local Hero, you will also like the music from The Princess Bride, which is also on the Screenplaying CD by Mark Knopfler. There is something about the Local Hero music that makes me want to go to Scotland too! My ancestors were Scots and I'm related to Robert Louis Stephenson, George Stephenson who is on the British 5-pound note (which doesn't exist anymore, I guess) and who built the first steam engine locomotive, and also the "Lighthouse" Stephensons who built a series of lighthouses around Scotland and in other countries. Maybe that's why I work for an engineering firm today. Thanks for visiting this subject. CSN&Y are playing many more dates this summer and will be out in the New York area, your neck of the woods, very soon!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:13:03 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 02:31:26 pm »
Man Friend, we have such similar tastes in music! I love Dire Straits's song "Brothers In Arms". Knopfler was one of them, right? Or am I thinking of the Boomtown Rats? (I don't Like Mondays).

I have the Princess Bride on my list of movie to watch, along with all films done by the BBM cast. Actually I think the Brits have retained their own currency for the time being.

Thanks for the pictures of Red Rocks, I have seen pictures of it before but you really get a feel for the energy of the place with it full of people. Would love to see a show there sometime.

My favorite Neil Young tune is "A Man Needs a Maid" (I know I do.).
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 05:19:43 pm »
Yes, Knopfler was definitely the driving force behind Dire Straits. I first heard Brothers in Arms on Miami Vice, did U ever see that episode? I saw Knopfler at Red Rocks last summer, it was stupendous!! Just got his latest CD "All the Roadrunning" with Emmylou Harris and have sprinkled lyrics and references all over this board. Another CD I love of his is Sailing to Philadelphia. Fantastic guitar work, lyrics, and singing. Appearances by James Taylor (as Dixon of Mason and Dixon), and Van Morrison, great voices that complement Knopfler's so well. One last thing, there is a song on that CD called "Speedway to Nazareth." A fantastic song musically and I've found it very handy and even better than "Bolero" for serving the purposes that Bolero is so famous for!!  ;)