Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220994 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Music News
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2015, 10:51:04 pm »

Exposure by Exposé was released 28 years ago on Arista Records, and it was the first debut album by a group to put 4 singles into the Billboard Top 10.

It's now re-released on Cherry Pop Records, as a "Deluxe" 2 CD set.  Disc 1 of the re-release features the original 10 songs on the CD, plus 8 "single mix" versions of the songs, including the original 1984 single "Point Of No Return", which features three other singers on it.  (Alé, Sandée, and Lori)

Disc 2 features 11 remix versions of singles.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGi3AvfFfuA[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v8YragSIuI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR4cR9CeLi0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqk6y5Hmy9s[/youtube]

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2016, 04:07:47 pm »
Thoughts and prayers going out to Canadian superstar Celine Dion.

On January 14, 2016 Celine's husband, Rene Angelil passed away after a long battle with throat cancer.  He and Celine were married for 22 years.  Two days later, January 16th, the news is that Celine's older brother (47) died today, also after a battle with cancer.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

Glenn Frey, Eagles Founder, Dies
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2016, 08:21:31 pm »
2016 is starting out a deadly year for celebrities.

The Eagles' Glenn Frey dead at 67

By Melonyce McAfee, CNN

Glenn Frey, a founding member of the rock band the Eagles, has died at 67, a publicist for the band has confirmed.

"Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from rheumatoid arthritis, acute ulcerative colitis and pneumonia," reads a post on the band's official website.

Frey had been suffering from intestinal issues, which caused the postponement of the band's inclusion in the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors.

Frey and the other original members of the Eagles — Don Henley, Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon -- came together to form singer Linda Ronstadt's backup band in the early 1970s.

They were all experienced musicians who forged a laid-back, country-tinged sound that the Eagles would eventually make famous.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/18/entertainment/glenn-frey-obit-feat/

The Eagles scored a number of Billboard Top 40 hits, and Glenn Frey got a few  solo hits on the chart as  well.

"Take It Easy" - #12
"Witchy Woman" - #9
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" - #22
"Already Gone" - #32
"Best of My Love" - #1
"One Of These Nights" - #1
"Lyin' Eyes" - #2
"Take It To The Limit" - #4
"New Kid In Town" - #1
"Hotel California" -#1
"Life In The Fast Lane" - #11
"Please Be Home For Christmas" - #18
"Heartache Tonight" - #1
"The Long Run" - #8
"I Can't Tell You Why" - #8
"Seven Bridges Road" - #21
"Get Over It" - #31

Glenn Frey solo songs

"I Found Somebody" - #31
"The One You Love" - #15
"All Those Lies" - #40
"Sexy Girl" - #20
"The Heat Is On" - #2
"Smuggler's Blues" - #12
"You Belong To The City" - #2
"True Love" - #13

Offline CellarDweller

Maurice White, leader and founder of Earth, Wind & Fire, dies at 74
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2016, 09:28:10 am »
Maurice White, leader and founder of Earth, Wind & Fire, dies at 74

By Todd Leopold and Emanuella Grinberg

Maurice White, the Earth, Wind & Fire leader and singer who co-wrote such hits as "Shining Star," "Sing a Song" and "September," has died, according to his brother, EWF bassist Verdine White.

He was 74.

"My brother, hero and best friend Maurice White passed away peacefully last night in his sleep," Verdine White said in a Facebook post. "While the world has lost another great musician and legend, our family asks that our privacy is respected as we start what will be a very difficult and life changing transition in our lives. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes."

For several years in the 1970s and '80s, EWF was one of the leading acts in America, with horn-driven, vocally intricate and often uplifting songs that became the soundtrack of a generation.

Offline CellarDweller

Re: Maurice White, leader and founder of Earth, Wind & Fire, dies at 74
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2016, 09:37:21 am »
Most of (if not all) of my friends have listened to EW&F, and loved their songs.

Here is a list of their Billboard Hot 100  Top 40 hits.

Mighty Mighty -  #29
Devotion - #33
Shining Star - #1
That's The Way Of the World - #12
Sing A Song - #5
Can't Hide Love #39
Getaway - #12
Saturday Night - #21
Serpentine Fire - #13
Fantasy - #32
Got To Get You Into My Life - #9
September - #8
After The Love Has Gone - #2
Let's Groove - #3
Fall In Love With  Me - #17

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2016, 09:50:48 pm »
R & B/ Dance Star Vanity Dies at 57

Born Denise Matthews,  she rose to fame in the 80s when she was discovered by Prince, and he selected  her to lead the new "girl group" he founded,  Vanity 6.  While the group didn't cross over to the pop charts in a big way, they did place a few singles in the R&B and Dance Music charts.  Their most successful was their debut single, "Nasty Girl".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQQdA2aat2k[/youtube]

Vanity then left Vanity 6, and recorded two solo CDs.  Each one managed to put hits onto the R&B and Dance charts, most notoriously "Pretty Mess", which was a song about her lover leaving a "pretty mess" on her dress.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME98PbYN62M[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn6hF_dCgGU[/youtube]

A few months ago she set up a GoFundMe page, and said she'd been diagnosed with sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis -- an inflammation of the small intestines. She also battled crack addiction in the '90s, and after a 1994 OD her kidneys were shot. She had to undergo nearly daily dialysis treatments.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2016, 07:15:17 pm »
History is repeating itself, musically. LOL

A few years ago, Sia wrote the song "Chandelier" for Rihanna. When she gave it to her, Rihanna said "No, thank you!" and passed on it. Sia recorded it herself, and got a Top 10 hit out of it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM[/youtube]

Just recently, Sia wrote another song intended for Rihanna's current CD. Once again, Rihanna said "No, thank you!" and passed on it. So, once again, Sia decided to record it for herself, and it's on her latest CD.

The song ("Cheap Thrills") is now a single, and this week on the Billboard chart, climbs from #71 to #39 this week, so Sia has another Top 40 hit, thanks to songs Rihanna said 'no' to. LOL

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31crA53Dgu0[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

RIP - Prince
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »

Prince has passed away at the age of 57

The artist known as Prince has died, according to TMZ. He was 57.

Prince’s body was discovered at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota early Thursday morning, April 21st.

The singer — full name Prince Rogers Nelson — had a medical emergency on April 15th that forced his private jet to make an emergency landing in Illinois. But he appeared at a concert the next day to assure his fans he was okay. His people told TMZ he was battling the flu.

Prior to his most recent appearance however, Prince had cancelled two shows due to health concerns.

Prince became an international superstar in 1982 after his breakthrough album “1999.”

He went on to churn out a ton of hits — racking up seven Grammys in the process. He also performed at the Super Bowl in 2007 in one of the greatest live performances of all time.

http://fox6now.com/2016/04/21/tmz-prince-has-passed-away-at-the-age-of-57/

Here's a list of Prince's Billboard Top 40 hits.

I Wanna Be Your Lover - #11
1999 - #12
Delirious - #8
Little Red Corvette - #6
When Doves Cry - #1
Let's Go Crazy - #1
I Would Die 4 U - #8
Take Me With You - #25
Purple Rain - #2
Raspberry Beret - #2
Pop Life - #7
Kiss - #1
U Got The Look (with Sheena Easton) #2
Sign O The Times - #3
7  - #7
Thieves In The Temple - #6
Batdance - #1
Most Beautiful Girl In The World - #3
Diamonds & Pearls - #3
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man - #10
Alphabet Street - #8
Money Don't Matter Tonight - #23
Mountains - #23
Gett Off - #21
Partyman - #18
I Hate U - #12
Cream -#1
The Arms of Orion (with Sheena Easton) #36 
My Name Is Prince - #36 
LetItGo - #31 

He also produced hits for multiple other artists.

"I Feel For You" by Chaka Khan
"The Glamours Life", "Belle Of St. Mark", "Sister Fate", "Love Bizarre" "Touch Me" all by Sheila E.
"Nasty Girl" by Vanity 6
"Sex Shooter" by Apollonia 6
"Screams Of Passion" by The Family
"Jungle Love" by The Time
"Sugar Walls" by Sheena Easton

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2016, 02:37:49 pm »
Word of his death has been going around my office. It's a shock.

He certainly was a power in the music industry and an amazing talent.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2016, 07:52:48 pm »

I'm listening to a new song I've downloaded today, a song called "True Colors" by Zedd ft. Ke$ha.   I'm trying to give her support.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weEV0Jf0Urk[/youtube]

For those who don't know, since her debut in 2010, Ke$ha has managed to score 10 Billboard Top 30 hits, most of them in the Top 10.

For the past two years,  Ke$ha has been in court, suing to be released from her record deal, and working with producer Dr. Luke.  She has testified that Dr. Luke has raped her, and mentally and verbally abused her.  It's been two years since she's been able to release any music, as her label is refusing to release her from her contract.   Ke$ha has testified that the longer she is kept from releasing music damages her career.

A judge in the case has found in favor of the label, and not Ke$ha.

Superstar DJ/Producer Zedd made a very public statement  issuing support for her, and wanted to work  with her.  Ke$ha's label relented, and together the pair has recorded "True Colors".

The song debuts at #74 this week on the Hot 100, and fans are hoping if the song becomes a hit, it will pave the way for Ke$ha to  be  released from her contract.