Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220941 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Music News
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2016, 11:50:22 am »
Mr. Snooty can stay home and listen to his Broadway show tunes.

*runs from Paul*

That's Dr. Snooty to you, b*tch!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2016, 12:19:03 pm »
Love ya!  Mean it!   :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2016, 12:47:34 pm »
*prepares popcorn*

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2016, 08:42:41 pm »
Who is Sia and why does she hide her face?

Sia is a recording artist from Australia who had a recording career that lead to success in her home country and across Europe.  Attempts to break into the American market failed.  In 2010 she opted to retire as a performer, and focus on songwriting for others.  

As a songwriter, she wrote Top 10 hits for Ne-Yo, Britney Spears, and (most famously) "Diamonds" for Rihanna.

In 2012 she co-wrote "Wild One" with rapper Flo Rida.  He convinced her to record her vocals for the hook.  Simultaneously, she wrote "Titanium" for DJ David Guetta to remix and produce, on the agreement that he replace her vocals on the track.  David instead left Sia's vocals on the track without her permission.   To Sia's surprise, both songs hit the American Top 10, 2 years after she retired.

With these successes under her belt, she released a new CD in 2014 called 1,000 Forms of Fear, and lead single "Chandelier" went Top 10, giving Sia her first American Top 10 song as a solo artist.  The song was originally written for Rihanna,  but she turned it down.  The CD's second single, "Elastic Heart", went Top 20.

This year, Sia released her new CD,  This Is Acting.  Current single "Cheap Thrills" was once again, written for Rihanna, who turned it down again.  This week, "Cheap Thrills" spends its 3rd on the Hot 100.

Whenever Sia performs, she wears masks or large wigs to hide her face.  She explained to Ellen DeGeneres that while she  enjoys performing, the spotlight makes her  feel uncomfortable, and that by performing this way, she still allows herself some privacy, especially while shopping in public, or when having to dash off to the bathroom.  She was also an alcoholic and drug user, and she feels this helps distance her from her past, and maintain her sobriety.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

Re: Music News - Sia's new music video - an Orlando/Pulse tribute
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:26 am »
Have you all seen Sia's new video, "The Greatest"? The young dancer that's in all her videos (Maddie Ziegler) is leading a troupe of young dancers, they are all dancing and having fun, and at the end, they all drop to the floor, revealing bullet holes in the wall behind them. It's a tribute to the Orlando Pulse victims.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:12:10 pm by CellarDweller »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »
Tomorrow (Tuesday, 10/4 ) I'll be in NYC, to see Nena at the Playstation Theater. I know everyone considers Nena a one-hit wonder, but in honor of the show, I'm posting a few videos, so come here, listen with an open mind, you may hear something you like. We'll start with the song everyone knows the group for, "99 Luftballons".

Nena had already had a Top 10 hit in German with their song, "Just Dreamed", when the label decided to follow it up with "99 Luftballons".  The song went to #1 in Germany, and Top 10 in various other European countries.  An American DJ from Los Angeles was in Germany at this time and  was hearing "99 Luftballons" everywhere.  He got a copy of the single, and took it home and played it on his station in  LA.  "99 Luftballons" became a hit, and the group recorded an English version (99 Red Balloons), but radio stations focused on the original German version, which went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100.

- 99 Luftballons

Nena's second single in America was "Just a Dream", the English version of Nena's first German hit, "Nur Getraeumt"  (Just Dreamed).  While some video outlets played the video, radio pretty much ignored the song, and it didn't chart in America.

https://vimeo.com/107804945 - Just A Dream

The last release from Nena's CD was "Kino/At The Movies", much like "Just A Dream", the single failed to chart.

Nena went back to the studio, and released their second American CD, "It's All In the Game".  The first single was the title track.   While the original German versions were hits in Europe, Nena wasn't able to crack into the American market with these songs.

https://vimeo.com/108001930 -  It's All In The Game

The second (and last) single that Nena released in America was "Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime".

- "Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime"

After two American CDs  (99 Luftballons & It's All In The Game) and 5 European CDs ("Nena", "? (Fragezeichen)",  "Feuer und Flamme",  "Eisbrecher", and "Nena Die Band.",  Nena broke up, and lead singer Nena Kerner continued on as a solo act.

In 2002, she celebrated her 20 years in the music business by releasing the CD  "Nena ft. Nena".  The CD was cover versions of all of Nena's songs.  When it was released, the single "Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime", now recorded as a German/English duet between Nena & Kim Wilde (Kids of America, You Keep Me Hanging On) got Nena  back onto the European pop charts.

-  Anyplace, Anywhere, Anytime ft. Kim Wilde.

Nena's most  recent  CD was released the end of last year, and is called "Oldschool".   Her current single, "Genau Jetzt" took Nena back to the charts,  putting her into the Top 30 in various countries.

- Genau Jetzt

Offline CellarDweller

Pete Burns, Dead or Alive Singer, Dead at 57
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »
Pete Burns, Dead or Alive Singer, Dead at 57

Pete Burns, lead singer of the Eighties goth new wave band Dead or Alive and their smash "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)," died Sunday after suffering cardiac arrest, his management said Monday. Burns was 57.

"It is with the greatest sadness that we have to break the tragic news that out beloved Pete Burns of (Dead Or Alive), died suddenly yesterday of a massive cardiac arrest," Burns' Facebook alerted fans.  "All of his family and friends are devastated by the loss of our special star," the message read. "He was a true visionary, a beautiful talented soul, and he will be missed by all who loved and appreciated everything he was and all of the wonderful memories the has left is with." 

Boy George, who weathered comparisons both musically and stylistically to Burns, tweeted of the Dead or Alive singer, "Tearful about the passing of @PeteBurnsICON he was one of our great true eccentrics and such a big part of my life! Wow. Hard to believe!"

The androgynous Burns, who began cross-dressing as a six-year-old, emerged in the late Seventies as a member of the goth band Nightmares in Wax, which released their lone EP Birth of a Nation, highlighted by the single "Black Leather," in 1979 before adopting the name Dead or Alive.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pete-burns-dead-or-alive-singer-dead-at-57-w446467

While Dead of Alive managed to hit the Billboard Hot 100 twice, they managed to get a few more songs on the Billboard Hot 50 Dance Singles charts.

"My Heart Goes Bang" - #15

"Love Come Back To Me" - #13

"Baby Don't Say Good-Bye" - #6

"You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) " - #4

"Something In My House" - #3

"Come Home With Me Baby" #1

"Brand New Lover" - #1

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Pete Burns, Dead or Alive Singer, Dead at 57
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2016, 09:21:59 pm »
Pete Burns, lead singer of the Eighties goth new wave band Dead or Alive and their smash "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)," died Sunday after suffering cardiac arrest, his management said Monday. Burns was 57.

I don't think I ever knew who did that song, but I remember it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2016, 11:09:22 pm »
60s teen idol Bobby Vee dies
Vee (73) died early on Monday (local time) of complications from Alzheimer's disease. He had been in hospice care at a facility in Rogers
I remember his songs especially "The night has a thousand eyes" although it was before I really got into pop music with The Beatles.
He seemed a very decent guy, sad about the Alzheimers. His wife of 50 years died a year ago. He was  just a year older than me.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2016, 08:46:43 am »
that's sad.  RIP Bobby Vee