Author Topic: Music News  (Read 220958 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Music News
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2006, 02:23:22 pm »
I hope it is worth it for U, Gian! Give us a report, okay? Pix too.

In honor of Annie Proulx birthday today, I listened first to "Spiritual" by Pat Methany as I drove into work, and then to the Brokeback Mountain theme #3 that plays during the flashback scene of the dozy embrace. The two songs work really well together! There's just one thing about "Spiritual" that bothers me though. It sounds too similar to another famous song (which I won't mention just yet). Does anyone else feel that way??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 11:18:27 am »
You been to Dodger Stadium, Gian? Cause I heard what they have in Dodger Stadium for boys like U--Rolling Stones!! Give us a report, plz, was it worth it??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 02:15:18 pm »
For some time, I have been meaning to write about the metallic sound of the Brokeback Mountain soundtrack, caused by the use of an acoustic and a pedal steel guitar. I was reading a review of the new book about Bob Dylan last night which reminded me of my need to talk about this. THe review is at http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060904crbo_books and the end of it quotes from an interview he gave to Playboy in 1978:

“The closest I ever got to the sound I hear in my mind was on individual bands in the ‘Blonde on Blonde’ album,” Dylan says. “It’s that thin, that wild mercury sound. It’s metallic and bright gold, with whatever that conjures up. That’s my particular sound.”
Was that wild mercury sound in “I Want You”?
Yeah, it was in “I Want You.” It was in a lot of that stuff. It was in the album before that, too.
“Highway 61 Revisited”?
Yeah. Also in “Bringing It All Back Home.” That’s the sound I’ve always heard. . . .
The period when you came out with “Highway 61” must have been exciting.
Those were exciting times. We were doing it before anybody knew we would—or could. We didn’t know what it was going to turn out to be. Nobody thought of it as folk-rock at the time. There were some people involved in it like The Byrds, and I remember Sonny and Cher and the Turtles and the early Rascals. It began coming out on the radio. I mean, I had a couple of hits in a row. That was the most I ever had in a row—two. The top ten was filled with that kind of sound—the Beatles, too—and it was exciting, those days were exciting. It was the sound of the streets. It still is. I symbolically hear that sound wherever I am.
You hear the sound of the street?
That ethereal twilight light, you know. It’s the sound of the street with the sunrays, the sun shining down at a particular time, on a particular type of building. A particular type of people walking on a particular type of street. It’s an outdoor sound that drifts even into open windows that you can hear. The sound of bells and distant railroad trains and arguments in apartment buildings and the clinking of silverware and knives and forks and beating with leather straps. It’s all—it’s all there. Just lack of a jackhammer, you know.
You mean if a jackhammer were—
Yeah, no jackhammer sounds, no airplane sounds. All pretty natural sounds. It’s water, you know water trickling down a brook. It’s light flowing through the . . .
Late-afternoon light?
No, it’s usually the crack of dawn. Music filters out to me in the crack of dawn.
The “jingle jangle morning”?
Right.

THere are metal references in the story too, which is one reason I think why Ang Lee chose the guitar sounds of Santaeolalla for the soundtrack. More on this later.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:45:45 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 09:38:46 am »
Great story this a.m. about how Crosby, Stills, and Nash got together and the creation of "Our House" by Graham Nash about his home with Joni Mitchell.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5778064

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2006, 11:40:10 pm »
On my trip out west to meet Mel this past weekend I had the opportunity to listen to some new music. My daughter, Front-Ranger Jr., burned about 8 hours of music for me. The artists were Death Cab for Cutie, Sojan Dan, and the Shins. It was all good, and so I ordered Death Cab's latest CD, Transatlanticism, from Amazon. It's not Gustavo, but it's very interesting music.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2006, 01:33:19 pm »
A new CD by one of my favorites--Sting! It's called Songs of the Labyrinth, a compilation of lute/vocal songs from the Elizabethan composer John Dowland. Something completely different! Read more about it at

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6263882

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2006, 03:09:28 pm »
Interesting Album Front-Ranger
I decided to see if I could find it online and there it was
I downloaded the mp3 version and One track was
    Come Heavy Sheep.mp3
Ah Ha I said - a Brokeback song from the 1600s

but I soon discovered that the song is actually
   Come Heavy Sleep.   from 1597

Come heavy sleep, the image of true death;
and close up these my weary weeping eies:
Whose spring of tears doth stop my vitall breath,
and tears my hart with sorrows sign swoln cries:
Com and possess my tired thoughts, worne soule,
That living dies, till thou on me be stoule.

Com and possess my tired thoughts, worne soule,
That living dies, till thou on me be stoule.

Come shape of rest, and shadow of my end
Allied to death, child to blakefact night:
Come thou and charm these rebels in my breast,
Whose waking fancies doe my mind affright.
O come sweet sleepe; come, or I die forever:
Come ere my last sleep comes, or come never.

Interesting album, not a rock album by any stretch of the imagination.
but if you let it take you back to Elizabethan England, quite cool.

Thanks Lee for a different bit of music.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2006, 04:30:42 pm »
Yr welcome, Toast! That NPR link has three songs from the CD that you can download, everybody.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:44:45 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2006, 06:03:43 pm »
Okay, I know the suspense has been killing you, so I will come out with it now. The song "Spiritual" by Pat Metheny which AP cites as her inspiration for the "dozy embrace" flashback reminds me very strongly of another song. And that song is...Let it Be, by John Lennon/Paul McCartney. Anybody else feel the same way??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2006, 04:17:34 pm »
My new CD arrived yesterday from Amazon--Transatlanticism by Death Cab for Cutie. I was so excited to get it! But my men were aghast. My husband just shook his head in disgust and my son said, "Mom how could you get a CD from an Emo-group?" I had to wait until they both went to bed before replacing the Dave Bruback CD with my new one. The sounds are very different than I'm used to--instruments like crystal glasses being rung and sound effects like fireworks, meteors plummeting to earth, rusty pickups squealing their brakes, and very different lyrics too. Here are the lyrics of the title song:

THe Atlantic was born today and I'll tell you how
The clouds opened up and let it out
I was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere
When the water filled every hole
And thousands upon thousands made an ocean making islands
Where no island should go (oh no)
Most people were overjoyed, they took to their boats
I thought it less like a lake and more like a moat
The rhythms of my footsteps crossing flatlands to your door
Have been silenced forevermore
And the distance is quite simply too far for me to row
it seems farther than evermore (oh no)