Author Topic: Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost - POV from a real Pentecostal  (Read 12775 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Pentacost Sunday, I'm reviving this old thread that I found on page 18 of the Open Forum! Today, the Pentacost story was retold: how, 50 days after the resurrection, the apostles were just hanging out when suddenly the Holy Spirit descended on them, in tongues of fire, and they were able to speak in other languages. They rushed out and began talking to the people of the town, who came from many places far and wide, but these foreigners were able to understand them, and they listened and believed! So must we learn to speak other languages, so that we can tell about the open space between what we know and we believe!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:51:32 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 07:29:15 am »

For a quick overview, here's an article by the BBC to give you an idea what the Pentecost is:

Pentecost

What is Pentecost?
Pentecost is regarded as the birthday of the Christian church © Pentecost is the festival when Christians celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is celebrated on the Sunday 50 days after Easter (the name comes from the Greek pentekoste, "fiftieth").

It is also called Whitsun, but does not necessarily coincide with the Whitsun Bank Holiday in the UK.

Pentecost is regarded as the birthday of the Christian church, and the start of the church's mission to the world.

The Holy Spirit
The Holy Spirit is the third part of the Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit that is the way Christians understand God.

Celebrating Pentecost
Pentecost is a happy festival. Ministers in church often wear robes with red in the design as a symbol of the flames in which the Holy Spirit came to earth.
[...]

Pentecost Symbols
The symbols of Pentecost are those of the Holy Spirit and include flames, wind, the breath of God and a dove.

The first Pentecost
Pentecost comes from a Jewish harvest festival called Shavuot.

The apostles were celebrating this festival when the Holy Spirit descended on them.

It sounded like a very strong wind, and it looked like tongues of fire.

The apostles then found themselves speaking in foreign languages, inspired by the Holy Spirit.

People passing by at first thought that they must be drunk, but the apostle Peter told the crowd that the apostles were full of the Holy Spirit.

Pentecostal Christianity
Pentecost is a special day for any Christian, but it is emphasised particularly by Pentecostal churches. Pentecostal Christians believe in the direct experience of the Holy Spirit by believers during all of their services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/holydays/pentecost.shtml

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Thank you for this, Chrissi! Now I'm looking forward to celebrating the Pentacost! I had originally thought it had something to do with being pentinent!!  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Jack Twist's Mother Believed in the Pentecost
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 08:06:25 am »
Pentecost Symbols
The symbols of Pentecost are those of the Holy Spirit and include flames, wind, the breath of God and a dove.

I just realize how well the symbols of the Pentecost fit with symbols of our movie, like Jack and the wind, or Jack as a winged animal (not necessarily a dove though). And he was a breath of god fresh air in Ennis' life for sure! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Definitely, Chrissi! Jack and breathing are closely associated. He played the harmonica, which works by breath passing over tubes, he might have been killed by an exploding tire (filled with air) knocking the breath out of him, his uncle had pneumonia, a disease of the lungs, and he breathed hard sometimes, like when Ennis was introducing him to Alma.

Also, he was almost struck by lightning, which got 42 sheep, and he was born in Lightning Flat, so he is also associated with fire.

Sometimes theologians think the Holy Spirit represents Mother Nature or is a remnant of the old goddess that predates Christianity. It's the most mystical part of Christianity, for sure.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Now I'm all ready for church and I'm wearing lots of red!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I have heard too, that the original Pentecost was interpreted as the spirit comforting the disciples, which in a way, is what Mrs. Twist did when Ennis came to visit them. She demonstrated it through her actions.

Also, have you read the thread "Errie Event #2"?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."