Author Topic: OT: HEATH Replaces COLIN  (Read 3521 times)

rtprod

OT: HEATH Replaces COLIN
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:21:01 am »
This is good news for Heath (and us), but sad for Colin, one of my personal favorites and very underrated. 

Dylan Biopic
Thursday, May 04, 2006
By Roger Friedman

Colin Out, Heath In For Bob Dylan Film

Here’s the big word from the world of film: Colin Farrell is supposedly out and “Brokeback Mountain” star Heath Ledger is in for the Bob Dylan biopic getting ready to shoot this summer called “I’m Not There.”

I am told that director Todd Haynes, of “Far from Heaven” fame, was forced to change lead actors at the last minute. The reason for Farrell’s departure is unknown, but what is known is that he’s been in rehab already this year.

Neither actor was actually going to play Bob Dylan alone in Haynes’s imaginative script. Indeed, the screenplay calls for six different people to play the legendary singer-songwriter, including Cate Blanchett, Richard Gere and Christian Bale.

Julianne Moore, also in the film, is set to play another role (not Dylan), sources tell me.

The fact that John Lennon was recently represented by six actors in a failed Broadway musical is of no consequence to Haynes and company. “We had the idea first,” an insider told me.

The script also calls for the use of more than a dozen Dylan songs, which will be chosen by Haynes from the songwriters’ huge catalogue. Dylan is said to be so enthusiastic about the project that he’s given up his half of the publishing income to make the budget work. The other half is owned by Sony/ATV Music Publishing, and they’re not giving up anything. After all, some of it will go toward paying Michael Jackson’s debt.

And don’t worry; the songs will not be sung by the actors. Many well-known acts like The White Stripes and Aimee Mann will get a shot at re-interpreting Dylan’s work.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:28:41 am by rtprod »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OT: HEATH Replaces COLIN
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:33:09 am »
Well, so much for taking a year off to stay with the baby. I guess he has some bills to pay or the lure of the grease paint is just too strong.

I got a laugh from the article that follows the Dylan/Heath one about dopey Tom Cruise. How about this quote:

"Then Cruise pulled director J.J. Abrams into the interview and things lightened up: Cruise is like tofu in a way. He takes on the personality of whoever is around him. In an instant, he became Abrams."

rt: ya took the link out. Here it is again:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194199,00.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:39:27 am »
Oh! I like Colin. But Heath is just fine too!  ;D

This is good news for Heath (and us), but sad for Colin, one of my personal favorites and very underrated.
Yes, I agree.

The reason for Farrell’s departure is unknown, but what is known is that he’s been in rehab already this year.
What?

Indeed, the screenplay calls for six different people to play the legendary singer-songwriter.
Really? Odd.

Dylan is said to be so enthusiastic about the project that he’s given up his half of the publishing income to make the budget work.
He's hoping for a "Walk The Lane" success, I guess.

The other half is owned by Sony/ATV Music Publishing, and they’re not giving up anything. After all, some of it will go toward paying Michael Jackson’s debt.
I don't get that..

Still, I'd go see it.

~ j U d E

MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:07:34 pm »
Ok. I want to know the story behind Cate Blanchett playing Bob Dylan. Yes, she's capable of playing people she doesn't resemble at all (like Katherine Hepburn), but, ummmm, Bob Dylan?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

rtprod

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 12:57:05 pm »
I'm sure the Cate Blanchett thing will be her playing some dimension of his personality or variation on a segment of his life, but not him in the literal sense.

Though I agree she could do it even if it were literal, as she is the most accomplished actress of her generation and the heir apparent to Meryl Streep, if anyone would look at and listen to her inredibly varied body of work, looks, accents, manners and etc.  She is the real deal, the only chameleon amongst her peers and versatile bar none. 

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 01:29:25 pm »
 :D I so agree with you on this one, RT - Cate nailed Kathryn Hepburn even though she looks nothing like her - simply amazing!..............
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 02:15:31 pm »
RT and chefjudy -- yes about Cate Blanchett! And it's particularly impressive, because she's got a very distinctive face, and she can make me forget that I'm watching her despite recognizing the face.

Anyway, the movie sounds interesting... like a sort of Being John Malkovich of biopics.

(Aside: am I just noticing them, or are biopics the latest movie trend? It seems like every other pre-production rumor I'm hearing these days is about some biopic or another. Or is it just that I'm following the careers of the BBM actors -- all four of the BBM leads sound like they're going to be playing real people in the near future: Jake in Zodiac, Heath in the Dylan movie, Michelle maybe as one of the Bronte sisters, Anne as Jane Austen... )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 11:05:27 pm »
Interesting point, nakymaton, and you know what? I don't really like biopics. I liked Monster, Boys Don't Cry, Jarhead (if that counts), and A Beautiful Mind but those are all that come to mind... This Bob Dylan thing sounds intriguing though -- yeah, cause of Heath. And I want to see Zodiac. I like Jake, Fincher, and movies about serial killers (if they're well-done).

I am in a way really glad that Colin Farrell has been replaced because one of my brothers is a big Bob Dylan fan who hates Colin Farrell. He really liked Heath Ledger in Brokeback, so this will probably go over with him a lot better than Farrell. I just felt like sharing this cause it makes me smile.

And yeah, I have been wondering what the hell Heath is gonna do next! (Although, I am still feeling, at times, unease watching him and Jake in other roles. It's just unnatural.  ;) )
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 12:23:06 am »
I agree about Cate Blanchett.  She's amazing.

I know a lot of people love Dylan, and I can understand why.  However, I don't want to see a pic about him...just now.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"