Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770177 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3260 on: December 14, 2007, 10:23:15 am »
Woot...a term of excitement. Sort of like, "yee-haw!" Its exact origins are an item of debate but I see many references to it being a shortened version of "wow loot" from the Dungeons & Dragons games (which I never played).

I saw something yesterday that it was one of the most common words on the Internet this year, but of course, I can't find that again today. I'll keep looking.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3261 on: December 14, 2007, 10:27:32 am »
Ah! Success!

Merriam-Webster's Word of '07: 'W00t'

By STEPHANIE REITZ – 2 days ago

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Expect cheers among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately, expect them to "w00t."

"W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an exclamation of happiness or triumph, topped all other terms in the Springfield-based dictionary publisher's online poll for the word that best sums up 2007.

Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new technology.

"It shows a really interesting thing that's going on in language. It's a term that's arrived only because we're now communicating electronically with each other," Morse said.

Gamers commonly substitute numbers and symbols for the letters they resemble, Morse says, creating what they call "l33t speak" — that's "leet" when spoken, short for "elite" to the rest of the world.

For technophobes, the word also is familiar from the 1990 movie "Pretty Woman," in which Julia Roberts startles her date's upper-crust friends with a hearty "Woot, woot, woot!" at a polo match.

Purists of "l33t speak" often substitute a "7" for the final "t," expressing a "w007" of victory — an "in your face" of sorts — when they defeat an online gaming opponent.

"W00t" was among 20 nominees in a list of the most-searched words in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary and most frequently submitted terms from users of its "open dictionary."

The choice did not make Allan Metcalf, executive secretary of the American Dialect Society, say "w00t."

"It's amusing, but it's limited to a small community and unlikely to spread and unlikely to last," said Metcalf, an English professor at MacMurray College in Jacksonville, Ill.

The 2006 pick, "truthiness," also has its roots in pop culture. It was popularized by Comedy Central satirical political commentator Stephen Colbert.

Some also-rans in the 2007 list: the use of "facebook" as a verb to signify using the Web site by that name; nuanced terms such as "quixotic," "hypocrite" and "conundrum"; and "blamestorm," a meeting in which mistakes are aired, fingers are pointed and much discomfort is had by all.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5imcJd2ELqieBlFxBLhBnP5k4juaAD8TFGLM00
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3262 on: December 14, 2007, 11:02:20 am »
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35061

I must have been the last person to be able to watch the bootleg trailer!  When I tried to watch it a third time in a row, it said it was no longer available! Perfect timing!

Eat your heart out Jack Nicholson!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3263 on: December 14, 2007, 11:14:51 am »
Ah! Success!

Merriam-Webster's Word of '07: 'W00t'

By STEPHANIE REITZ – 2 days ago

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Expect cheers among hardcore online game enthusiasts when they learn Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year. Or, more accurately, expect them to "w00t."

"W00t," a hybrid of letters and numbers used by gamers as an exclamation of happiness or triumph, topped all other terms in the Springfield-based dictionary publisher's online poll for the word that best sums up 2007.

Merriam-Webster's president, John Morse, said "w00t" was an ideal choice because it blends whimsy and new technology.

"It shows a really interesting thing that's going on in language. It's a term that's arrived only because we're now communicating electronically with each other," Morse said.

Gamers commonly substitute numbers and symbols for the letters they resemble, Morse says, creating what they call "l33t speak" — that's "leet" when spoken, short for "elite" to the rest of the world.

For technophobes, the word also is familiar from the 1990 movie "Pretty Woman," in which Julia Roberts startles her date's upper-crust friends with a hearty "Woot, woot, woot!" at a polo match.

Purists of "l33t speak" often substitute a "7" for the final "t," expressing a "w007" of victory — an "in your face" of sorts — when they defeat an online gaming opponent.

"W00t" was among 20 nominees in a list of the most-searched words in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary and most frequently submitted terms from users of its "open dictionary."

The choice did not make Allan Metcalf, executive secretary of the American Dialect Society, say "w00t."

"It's amusing, but it's limited to a small community and unlikely to spread and unlikely to last," said Metcalf, an English professor at MacMurray College in Jacksonville, Ill.

The 2006 pick, "truthiness," also has its roots in pop culture. It was popularized by Comedy Central satirical political commentator Stephen Colbert.

Some also-rans in the 2007 list: the use of "facebook" as a verb to signify using the Web site by that name; nuanced terms such as "quixotic," "hypocrite" and "conundrum"; and "blamestorm," a meeting in which mistakes are aired, fingers are pointed and much discomfort is had by all.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5imcJd2ELqieBlFxBLhBnP5k4juaAD8TFGLM00

Very interesting, thanks for that.  I disagree with Allan Metcalf though, I think w00t it catchy enough to spread.   A word that is appearing as a result of electronic communication, and that I absolutely can't stand, is "prolly", short for probably.  I've been seeing it more and more and it's like hearing nails on a blackboard! Argh!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3264 on: December 14, 2007, 12:08:33 pm »
I must have been the last person to be able to watch the bootleg trailer!  When I tried to watch it a third time in a row, it said it was no longer available! Perfect timing!

I was happy to see it this afternoon (CET). Thanks yb for posting the link  :).

Too bad it's gone now  :-\.
But I think it will be all over the net soon anyway. Once it has leaked out, it will do again.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3265 on: December 14, 2007, 12:20:17 pm »
I must have been the last person to be able to watch the bootleg trailer! 

No you're not. I haven't seen it yet.  :(

yb

« Reply #3266 on: December 14, 2007, 12:28:53 pm »
No you're not. I haven't seen it yet.  :(

Actually, you could search at youtube for the latest addition of the trailer, here's a link that's still working:

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #3267 on: December 14, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »
Thanks.  :) In the meantime I'd found another one myself. Shitty quality, but what the hey!

http://rated-m.blogspot.com/2007/12/dark-knight-full-trailer-leaked.html

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #3268 on: December 14, 2007, 12:36:14 pm »
Thoughts on this;

What's with that tongue thing!?  :P

That first full-face shot: Totally new definition of (mad) puppy dog eyes!

Ledger+Gyllenhaal make me squee no matter what!

and...

The voice! That voice - I don't think I'd have recognized it at all if I didn't know whose it is. Strange. Interesting. Scary. Special.

I second the WOOT!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3269 on: December 14, 2007, 12:42:05 pm »
Sweet!  Thanks for the links.

It's funny; a lot of the comments on the Dark Knight previews (from guys, by the way they're written) are like, "I've never been this hard in my entire life."  "I just came!"   Heehee.

I've been wondering if the success of The Dark Knight next year will also cause an uptick in BBM rentals.  When folks "discover" a great actor through a performance in a huge mainstream hit film, they'll frequently seek out his/her other work, especially their breakout films (such as BBM in Heath's case).  What do yall think?