Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770260 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3270 on: December 14, 2007, 12:55:40 pm »
've been wondering if the success of The Dark Knight next year will also cause and uptick in BBM rentals.  When folks "discover" a great actor through a performance in a huge mainstream hit film, they'll frequently seek out his/her other work, especially their breakout films (such as BBM in Heath's case).  What do yall think?

I could see that, Laura.  People were amazed when BBM came out at how great an actor Heath is, so they'll be doubly amazed after seeing him do the Joker.  8)

I decided I have to go to the IMAX this week and see the trailer giant-sized.  This looks like it'll be the best Batman movie yet!  Luckily, I read a review of "I Am Legend" that was pretty good and I'm curious to see how they made NYC look utterly deserted and decayed.  Should be fun!  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

mvansand76

« Reply #3271 on: December 14, 2007, 02:25:15 pm »
"Come on, hit me!"

God, that part scared the shit out of me! Heath, you rock!

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3272 on: December 14, 2007, 05:01:29 pm »
The only one of the posted links working right now is http://rated-m.blogspot.com/2007/12/dark-knight-full-trailer-leaked.html

So that's mostly Heath's voice we're hearing?  Hard to believe.  I've never been this hard.  :laugh:

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #3273 on: December 15, 2007, 12:20:53 am »
It's a bit disconcerting to be cheering for the villain, ain't it  :laugh: I am getting pretty excited for this-maybe we need a HHH group viewing in an exciting and exotic locale.

Heathen

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3274 on: December 15, 2007, 05:07:45 am »
It's a bit disconcerting to be cheering for the villain, ain't it 

Nah - he can't be the villain, can he? Look how cute he is, like a lost painted puppy:

He just needs someone to take him home and bathe him and treat him kindly!

;D  :o ;D  :o

Laura, I think you're right that some folks might react the way you say and look up Heath's earlier films.

After all that's totally what I did after Brokeback - about 10 of Heath's earlier films and 10 of Jake's now grace my living room shelves and have been thoroughly watched. Only one each of which I'd watched before Brokeback.   
And I've informed the family that "Zodiac" is on my X-mas wish list.  :)

I'd perhaps think that the Batman fan crowd would stay with their fantasy/sci-fi type film, more than follow any specific one of the actors except perhaps CB  ( - except I totally belong to the Lord of the Rings crowd myself, and yet am perfectly able to fall head over heels in love with the  gritty everyday realism films and their actors, without a single elf or orc to keep me company.... so I shouldn't be so judgmental! )

Mostly, I'm afraid that the studio is over-hyping the Dark Knight too early.  :-\ It's *everywhere* - there's joker stuff on gossip sites and film sites all over the place - and it's half a year yet till it premieres yet. What *are* they going to do for all the required encores between now and then to keep all the fanboys hard and happy for that long?  ???

ETA: Oh, and another thing. I really enjoy how most of the comments are delighted with the Joker and so excited - but there are too many who take the opportunity to revile the casting of Maggie Gyllenhaal and I really resent that. It ruins my squee that people are so nasty about Maggie, who is a wonderful actress that I greatly admire.  :-* to Maggie!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:48:31 pm by Mikaela »

yb

« Reply #3275 on: December 15, 2007, 05:30:04 am »

I'd perhaps think that the Batman fan crowd would stay with their fantasy/sci-fi type film, more than follow any specific one of the actors except perhaps CB  ( - except I totally belong to the Lord of the Rings crowd myself, and yet am perfectly able to fall head over heels in love with the  gritty everyday realism films and their actors, without a single elf or orc to keep me company.... so I shouldn't be so judgmental! )

I have followed the Batman forums since Heath's casting, you'd be surprised to know that many of the Batman fans had taken the effort to watch Heath's past films to understand why was he chosen (I was so impressed by this aspect of the Batman fans).  A lot of them had already accepted Heath as the Joker, but to them Joker is such an iconic role, they're still unsure if Heath had the ability to pull it off.  It's only until this trailer that their worries were put to rest.  I think that if Heath's performance in the film is as good as is shown in the trailer, he will earn himself a band of followers. 

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3276 on: December 15, 2007, 05:47:47 am »
I think that if Heath's performance in the film is as good as is shown in the trailer, he will earn himself a band of followers. 

It still strikes me as some kind of irony of fate that a role as a crazed maniacal murdering psychopat may well do what his Ennis couldn't (at least not on that same scale). We need an essay on What is the world coming to!?!

:-\  ;) ::)

Also I have been wondering, with all the Joker hype, whether the Joker is considered a lead role in this film. Because the most stunning irony of all would be if the silly Academy saw fit to nominate the Joker for an Oscar one year from now. And hand it over as some kind of "now it's your turn, Heath" kind of thing.  :o  Now *that* would give me big-time fits!

yb

« Reply #3277 on: December 15, 2007, 05:58:51 am »

Also I have been wondering, with all the Joker hype, whether the Joker is considered a lead role in this film. Because the most stunning irony of all would be if the silly Academy saw fit to nominate the Joker for an Oscar one year from now. And hand it over as some kind of "now it's your turn, Heath" kind of thing.  :o  Now *that* would give me big-time fits!

Some of the Batman fans are suggesting nomination for 'Best Supporting Actor' already - a bit crazy and pre-mature I must say - there's no way Joker will be considered the lead role, it is Batman.  I am not a comic books follower, I had no idea how iconic this role is until Heath was cast.

mvansand76

« Reply #3278 on: December 15, 2007, 10:05:03 am »
No way that he will be nominated for an Oscar for playing the Joker. Can't remember the Academy ever nominating a role like that!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3279 on: December 15, 2007, 12:42:13 pm »
Plus, think of the awards ceremony: there'd be furious Jack Nicholson, sitting in his usual front-row seat, but instead of sporting his trademark giant isn't-life-fun grin, he'd be glowering through his shades.

>:( 8) >:(