Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3768921 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3280 on: December 15, 2007, 12:49:54 pm »
Plus, think of the awards ceremony: there'd be furious Jack Nicholson, sitting in his usual front-row seat, but instead of sporting his trademark giant isn't-life-fun grin, he'd be glowering through his shades.

>:( 8) >:(

That would make it SO worth it!!   :laugh:

Didn't Al Pacino get nominated for his role in Dick Tracy?  That's sort of a precedent isn't it?

yb

« Reply #3281 on: December 15, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »
That would make it SO worth it!!   :laugh:

Didn't Al Pacino get nominated for his role in Dick Tracy?  That's sort of a precedent isn't it?

The Batman fans have mentioned Johnny Depp in POTC and Anthony Hopkins in Silence of Lamb, I have no idea if they were relevant or not, but they do think there's the possibility that Heath might be nominated. 

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3282 on: December 15, 2007, 01:54:20 pm »
Quote from: Mikaela
ETA: Oh, and another thing. I really enjoy how most of the comments are delighted with the Joker and so excited - but there are too many who take the opportunity to revile the casting of Maggie Gyllenhaal and I really resent that. It ruins my squee that people are so nasty about Maggie, who is a wonderful actress that I greatly admire.  Kiss to Maggie!

That sucks! I hadn't seen that.

She probably won't get much time in any of the previews. But once the film's out, I bet you a million bucks that her performance silences the early wanker critics too.  She's amazing.  (Check her out in "Happy Endings". She can do sexually-confident siren like nobody.)

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3283 on: December 15, 2007, 01:56:57 pm »
No way that he will be nominated for an Oscar for playing the Joker. Can't remember the Academy ever nominating a role like that!

hannibal lecter/anthony hopkins?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3284 on: December 15, 2007, 02:00:25 pm »
But yeah, I can see Heath getting a supporting actor nod!

Joker is such a showier part than Batman that it's relatively easy to "steal the film" in such a role.  (Not to take anything away from Christian Bale, who is also a great actor.)  The same was said for Nicholson and Pfeiffer in their villian parts — that they stole the picture from Michael Keaton, who (no fault of his own) was stuck in the straight-man good-guy role.

And it's also pretty common for the Academy to reward passed-over actors with an award for the next thing they do.  Denzel Washington comes to mind...

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3285 on: December 15, 2007, 02:01:05 pm »
heathens,

I need clarification on whether the preview is at all I am Legend showings, or only at the IMAX....

Thanks greatly!
 :)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

yb

« Reply #3286 on: December 15, 2007, 02:03:12 pm »
That sucks! I hadn't seen that.

She probably won't get much time in any of the previews. But once the film's out, I bet you a million bucks that her performance silences the early wanker critics too.  She's amazing.  (Check her out in "Happy Endings". She can do sexually-confident siren like nobody.)

I think Maggie is more than decent in the trailer, we'll get a better look when WB releases the legitimate trailer tomorrow.  I was always amazed at the attack that were directed at Maggie's look, it's not as if Katie Holmes is a striking beauty, in fact, I think they look alike.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3287 on: December 15, 2007, 02:06:41 pm »
heathens,

I need clarification on whether the preview is at all I am Legend showings, or only at the IMAX....

Thanks greatly!

I believe it is only at the IMAX theaters.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

yb

« Reply #3288 on: December 15, 2007, 02:07:15 pm »
heathens,

Thanks greatly!

There are the prologue and the trailer, both are attached to "IAL", the prologue one is with the IMAX screening while the trailer is with the regular screening. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3289 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:06 pm »

And it's also pretty common for the Academy to reward passed-over actors with an award for the next thing they do.  Denzel Washington comes to mind...

Over on the movie game, we just had the example of Jimmy Stewart receiving the Academy Award for The Phildelphia Story (1940) after being passed over for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). But somehow, I really don't see a role like "the Joker" coming into the Academy's consciousness for an award, no matter how great Heath is. Has any "comic book" type movie ever won anything from the Academy? Just wondering...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!