Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3768932 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3290 on: December 15, 2007, 02:40:12 pm »
Plus, think of the awards ceremony: there'd be furious Jack Nicholson, sitting in his usual front-row seat, but instead of sporting his trademark giant isn't-life-fun grin, he'd be glowering through his shades.

>:( 8) >:(

This, after Jack Nicholson had led a behind-the-scenes letter-writing campaign to say how horrible it was that Heath "stole" the role from him and no one should vote for him (Heath)!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3291 on: December 15, 2007, 02:46:29 pm »
Quote from: Mainewriter
This, after Jack Nicholson had led a behind-the-scenes letter-writing campaign to say how horrible it was that Heath "stole" the role from him and no one should vote for him (Heath)!

He's been so freakin' arrogant and tasteless. (I mean, shit — are Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger out there complaining?)  Dude still seems to think he's 25.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3292 on: December 15, 2007, 02:48:45 pm »
I think Heath may well be the actor who breaks through that comic book barrier.  There was such a tight race between him and Philip Seymour Hoffman that I could see many Academy members wishing to reward him now for this star turn.  Unless there is some sort of backlash from all the hype going on over TDK, or if another actor's performance comes along to eclipse it, I think there's an excellent chance he'll be nominated and even win.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3293 on: December 15, 2007, 02:50:38 pm »
No one should vote for Heath? For the Oscar, you mean?

Anyway, that's so freakin' arrogant and tasteless. (I mean, shit — are Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger out there complaining?)  Dude still seems to think he's 25.

I was trying to make a joke, yes.

But I did read something that Nicholson was annoyed (very annoyed) that he was not approached to reprise his role as the Joker.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3294 on: December 15, 2007, 02:52:16 pm »
I think Heath may well be the actor who breaks through that comic book barrier.  There was such a tight race between him and Philip Seymour Hoffman that I could see many Academy members wishing to reward him now for this star turn.  Unless there is some sort of backlash from all the hype going on over TDK, or if another actor's performance comes along to eclipse it, I think there's an excellent chance he'll be nominated and even win.

I like that attitude, Meryl, even if I do find the whole scenario somewhat hard to believe. But, hey, the Red Sox have won the World Series two times in four years and you know what everyone here in New England says....

Believe.....

L

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3295 on: December 15, 2007, 03:11:21 pm »
The Batman fans have mentioned Johnny Depp in POTC 

I think Johnny Depp should have won! He took what could have been a very standard kiddie movie character and made him really cool and funny.

(Not to take anything away from Christian Bale, who is also a great actor.) 

Yay! Another Christian Bale fan!

And it's also pretty common for the Academy to reward passed-over actors with an award for the next thing they do.  Denzel Washington comes to mind...

Good point. There are a bunch of those cases in Academy history.

But I did read something that Nicholson was annoyed (very annoyed) that he was not approached to reprise his role as the Joker.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Or that he had done the definitive performance and no one else should even attempt it.

You're right, Laura, it's like Michael Keaton and George Clooney (and wasn't there another Batman at one point?) griping that no one else should ever attempt to play Batman.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3296 on: December 15, 2007, 03:14:28 pm »
I am not a comic books follower, I had no idea how iconic this role is until Heath was cast.

I had no idea either. In fact, you all, this is what finally made me realize that this whole Joker thing is BIG: I bought the UK Total Film magazine today to de-stress from the mad holidays preparation dash. And it turns out they've got a section on (in their opinion) the 50 greatest movie heros and 50 greatest villains of all time. Probably judged on a mix of the impact of the chilling villainy of character, the acting, the franchise... I don't know, but at any rate they're talking big-time "icons" here.

The villain part has these 3 in the top:

3. Hannibal Lechter
2. Darth Vader
1. The Joker (Accompagnied by a big pic of Joker-Heath, and a tiny one of Jack Nicholson's ditto)

Well then. If he beats out those two other guys, even I have to realize this is intensely huge movie-making (and money-making).

Good point. There are a bunch of those cases in Academy history.

That was what I was thinking of too, when I first mentioned this some pages back. They might reward him for this since they hadn't the guts to give his Ennis his rightful due.  >:(

As for the Oscar chances in general, I was thinking about Captain Jack Sparrow too. He's the next thing to a comic character isn't he - based on some Disney park attraction... So I wouldn't put it past the Academy to figure they'll show how incredibly broad-minded they are  ::), nominating Heath for this. I can't manage to drum up the least bit of enthusiasm for that prospect, though. The Academy as a body is a bunch of bigoted morons, and being honoured by them.... *big shrug*
That's my personal opinion and I still stick to it.

ETA: People everywhere keep going on about these Red Sox ever so often, so I finally googled them to have confirmation of my guess that they're a football team. Turns out they're not - so I learned something new today!   ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3297 on: December 15, 2007, 04:41:30 pm »
ETA: People everywhere keep going on about these Red Sox ever so often, so I finally googled them to have confirmation of my guess that they're a football team. Turns out they're not - so I learned something new today!   ;D

Football, baseball - to us Europeans it's a famous American sports team; who cares about the details  ;) :laugh:

And it's also pretty common for the Academy to reward passed-over actors with an award for the next thing they do.  Denzel Washington comes to mind...

Yup, I agree with all of you about this. If TDK lives up to the hype.
Just for discussion's sake: If they gave Heath one of these statues for the Joker, I would sure be happy for Heath, but ... I would also be somewhat anrgy. He deserves better than to get an Oscar as consolation prize. He damned earned it for his portayal of Ennis, and he was so robbed of it  >:(

(Bitter? Resentful? Moi? - NOOoooooooooo  ;))

BTW: Adia posted a link to the trailer which works at the moment (9.30pm CET): http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35061

Yesterday, when I saw it the first time, I saw a glimpse of Heath in the Joker in one shot, but couldn't put my finger on it. It's the split-second we see him standing front of prison bars, the shot has a blue-ish color and the Joker wears a blue shirt (I think), no coat. Damn, I can't make a sceeenshot of it and post the pic here  :( Does anyone else can? I would love to post this pic here.

Anyway, not I know why this split-second reminds me of Heath: it's the thing he does with his arms; he fiddles with them.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3298 on: December 15, 2007, 05:49:29 pm »
The whole thing with this "consolation prize" theory, or righting a past wrong...sometimes it takes years. Look how long Martin Scorsese waited to get his "Best Director" Oscar...27 years! (Raging Bull was his first best director nom, in 1980). And then there are the folks who never get the award they deserve and end up getting those honorary lifetime achievement awards as the biggest consolation prize of all. I can't think of an exact name right now--help me out, someone?

And while some actors and actresses get nominated lots, and win lots, and continue to have fabulous careers, for others, winning an Oscar is the kiss of death. Even though I agree with Chrissi -- Heath was robbed! -- part of me believes that was not necessarily a bad thing.

L

PS...my son went to see "I Am Legend" this afternoon (not at an IMAX theater). I'll give all of you his report of the trailer when he gets home.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3299 on: December 15, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »
Louise clued me into this "100 Sexiest Stars" list from Empire Magazine. Frankly, I am not sure I agree with many of their rankings...Angelina Jolie at number 1? Please. But anyway, our man Heath comes in at number 79. Here's the link.

http://www.empireonline.com/100sexiest/default.asp?star=79

Jake is in there somewhere (I've already forgotten his number! LOL). Lower than Heath, in the 30s, I think. Hugh Jackman was number 15! (That made me happy). And Snavel, James McAvoy is on there somewhere (I've forgotten his number, too!).

I think the setup of the list is a pain in the neck, which is why I am forgetting the numbers so fast. Oh well, enjoy clicking through the photos, folks.

L