Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770224 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3330 on: December 18, 2007, 03:24:50 am »

I think I'm almost longing for him to do some sweet romantic comedy or slow-paced historical drama next!  Less scary face-paint, more melting-caramel eyes in close-up, s'il vous plait, Heath!

I hear you Mika. 'I'm not there' will open here in the theater tomorrow. I'm hoping for some good Heathness there. (Although I'm not a big Dylan fan  :-\)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Nikita111

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3331 on: December 18, 2007, 09:18:06 am »
Meanwhile, Heath is out and about filming his *next* movie already.

This post here nearly gave me a heart attack at first - but it's only about the next film, so don't be afraid. Nevertheless, relatively disturbing imagery here:

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/18515049.html#cutid1

I think I'm almost longing for him to do some sweet romantic comedy or slow-paced historical drama next!  Less scary face-paint, more melting-caramel eyes in close-up, s'il vous plait, Heath!

No, he made Patriot, Knight Tale, Casanova - enough of this cheap stuff. I love them but I appreciate him taking parts in dark movies.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3332 on: December 18, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »
Mika-

Probably best you stay away from the Heathness until we tell you it's safe to go back into the water-don't want you to become a Heathhater!  ;D

Oh, I'll never be a Heathhater - don't you worry.  :) The man gave me Ennis, I will always love him for that. BUT the Joker looks like it may well lose him my respect from here on out - which means I'll probably stop seeing his films and stop following his career. He may count the loss of a few fans like me (who despise "stylish" sadistic cruelty presented as entertainment) small change compared to the huge masses of Joker-hungry fanboys he'll obviously gain in our stead......  :-\

But let's not rush to conclusions. The Batman thing is not out yet, - in the meantime "I'm not there" will finally premiere here in the back of beyond on January 18, and you may be absolutely sure I'll rush off to see that one without delay! It sounds absolutely great and very intrieguing - if it wasn't for Heath, I'd still have hurried to get to see Cate Blanchett.  :)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3333 on: December 18, 2007, 02:36:55 pm »
No, he made Patriot, Knight Tale, Casanova - enough of this cheap stuff. I love them but I appreciate him taking parts in dark movies.

I'll agree with you oin the Patroit, but otherwise we obviously have a very different definition of "cheap stuff". Casanova looks and is anything but cheap, - the gorgeous views of old Venice alone is rich enough to thrill - and A Knight's Tale is delightful, and my favourite Heath film next to Brokeback.

In my view, "cheap" rather would be yielding one's considerable talent to big franchises that earn huge bucks from thrilling and accustoming the general movie-going audiences to increasingly high levels of senseless inventive violence put on display for the mere "fun of it".

:-\

And with that, I won't say any more on this - till I've seen the darn film or at least have read other's opinions of it!  :-X

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3334 on: December 18, 2007, 02:52:08 pm »
Oh, I'll never be a Heathhater - don't you worry.  :) The man gave me Ennis, I will always love him for that. BUT the Joker looks like it may well lose him my respect from here on out - which means I'll probably stop seeing his films and stop following his career. He may count the loss of a few fans like me (who despise "stylish" sadistic cruelty presented as entertainment) small change compared to the huge masses of Joker-hungry fanboys he'll obviously gain in our stead......  :-\

I am very excited about seeing Heath portray such an iconic character as the Joker but I also have concerns.  If it's as successful as all the signs seem to indicate it will be, his career will catapult into the higher stratosphere.  That's not necessarily a good thing.  Look what Titanic did to Leo DiCaprio, he's been quoted as saying that the film's massive popularity actually hurt his career. 

Hopefully, Heath will be mature and level headed enough to work for his art and hopefully will remain grounded enough to continue choosing roles that challenge him and surprise and entertain us.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3335 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:21 pm »
Look what Titanic did to Leo DiCaprio, he's been quoted as saying that the film's massive popularity actually hurt his career. 

I can understand that! I absolutely loved Leo as an actor in Gilbert Grape and a couple of other early things. And then Titanic -- well, I didn't hate him, but I kind of lost interest in him, and didn't regain it until The Departed and Blood Diamond.

Offline Nikita111

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3336 on: December 18, 2007, 04:03:51 pm »
I'll agree with you oin the Patroit, but otherwise we obviously have a very different definition of "cheap stuff". Casanova looks and is anything but cheap, - the gorgeous views of old Venice alone is rich enough to thrill - and A Knight's Tale is delightful, and my favourite Heath film next to Brokeback.

In my view, "cheap" rather would be yielding one's considerable talent to big franchises that earn huge bucks from thrilling and accustoming the general movie-going audiences to increasingly high levels of senseless inventive violence put on display for the mere "fun of it".

:-\

And with that, I won't say any more on this - till I've seen the darn film or at least have read other's opinions of it!  :-X

Heath talents are really wasted on these films but do not get me wrong. I love them. I mean Casanova and Knight Tale. He is also a very hot young man who has full right to be an eye candy in a big budget blockbusters. But I am pleased by the diversity and the direction his role choosing has developed lately.
I just can't get enough of him. He is so talented. :-*

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3337 on: December 18, 2007, 11:55:20 pm »
Quote from: oilgun
I am very excited about seeing Heath portray such an iconic character as the Joker but I also have concerns.  If it's as successful as all the signs seem to indicate it will be, his career will catapult into the higher stratosphere.  That's not necessarily a good thing.  Look what Titanic did to Leo DiCaprio, he's been quoted as saying that the film's massive popularity actually hurt his career.

Hopefully, Heath will be mature and level headed enough to work for his art and hopefully will remain grounded enough to continue choosing roles that challenge him and surprise and entertain us.

I think Heath is very similar to Johnny Depp in this respect.  I can see him doing eccentric character-actor roles in huge hits (but never becoming a generic/whitebread straight-man star such as Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson used to be). And still doing independent art-house projects too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:04:10 am by LauraGigs »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3338 on: December 18, 2007, 11:55:56 pm »
John Gallagher and I went to see "I Am Legend" today at the IMAX, and of course, the 6-minute preview of "The Dark Knight."  What a difference from seeing it on a tiny computer screen!  :P

The long sequence of the bank robbery started with a helicopter shot of Chicago that zeroed in on one high-rise, and I got vertigo as it flew over a street and the camera looked straight down.  An impressive aerial shot followed some crooks rappelling across the chasm onto the bank's roof from a building across the street.  After that, the IMAX advantage was lessened, as it became a regular heist story with lots of violence.  Everything was just really BIG.  The crooks all wore clown masks, so you never saw their faces.  The very last clown pulled off his mask before escaping in a schoolbus, and it was Heath, looking wonderfully pasty and mad as a hatter.  His line was almost covered by the music, but it sounded very un-Ennisy to say the least.  ;)

There was a quick look at him on the street as the Batmobile drove past him, then mostly shots of Batman on his motorcycle and standing on a rooftop (great, iconic shot).  It ended with the Bat signal being smashed.  The seriousness of the approach is what sets this and the other Christopher Nolan Batman film apart from the earlier, less realistic efforts.  I like that it has more weight.

Oddly, there was absolutely no vocal crowd reaction to the Prologue.  I had expected some fanboy cheering or some applause, but nothing.  John thought that it was because everyone was so impressed, but I wondered if it was just because it's been so over-hyped that people were already kind of over it.  My feeling about it was that it was well done, but it was still a standard shoot-em-up story.  The trailer that's being shown in non-IMAX theaters actually has more of the Joker and is much more intriguing.  THAT would have played really well on the IMAX screen.  That first closeup of the Joker, 70 feet high, would be amazing.   8)

We both liked "I Am Legend," mostly because we had a great time identifying all the New York locations and seeing how they'd made them look decayed and abandoned.  Very impressive!  Also, Will Smith did a terrific job with the character, at first showing his surface calm and self-sufficiency, then gradually revealing his inner terror and psychological pain.  There were lots of holes in the story that John and I made a list of over dinner afterwards, but we both agreed it was worth the sixteen bucks.  :)

Ich bin ein Brokie...

yb

« Reply #3339 on: December 19, 2007, 12:56:52 am »
I think Heath is very similar to Johnny Depp in this respect.  I can see him doing eccentric character-actor roles in huge hits (but never becoming a generic/whitebread straight-man star such as Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson used to be). And still doing independent art-house projects too.

I agree with this.  So, oilgun, don't worry too much about this, Heath is already considered a chameleon by a lot of people, not just us his fans.