Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3769091 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3480 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:38 am »
I was a bit surprised that noone's commented in the defense of "Brothers Grimm". I've been wondering whether I might like that one better if I re-watched it, after all it was a film with good actors and considerable resources and talent went into all aspects of its making - but then I recall the headache it gave me and it's not tempting to try.

Maybe I need to re-watch it myself, but I don't know if I could bring myself to do so, because I disliked Brothers Grimm even more than you did. I took my sons to see it, and we all found it really boring. My younger son kept begging to leave the theater and go see something else in the multiplex, and I couldn't blame him.

Furthermore, that being my pre-Heath era, I actually preferred Matt Damon's character! [ducks for cover  ::)]

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3481 on: January 16, 2008, 12:01:22 pm »

I was a bit surprised that noone's commented in the defense of "Brothers Grimm". I've been wondering whether I might like that one better if I re-watched it, after all it was a film with good actors and considerable resources and talent went into all aspects of its making - but then I recall the headache it gave me and it's not tempting to try.

The Bros Grimm is interesting, I think it's the type of movie that grows on you.   It was on rotation on the movie Network & I really didn't think much of it the first time I watched but everytime they screened it I felt compelled to watch it again.  I must have seen it about five times and liked it more each time.  A lot of that was due to Heath's wonderfully quirky performance of course, and the way he and Matt played off each other felt very authentic and natural.

I'm interested in hearing a bit more about "Two Hands" Anyone care to post something about it - opinions, synopsis  etc? That's the one film of Heath's I've neither seen nor have any idea whether it's goor or what it's about beyond a two-line synopsis on IMDB.

I really enjoyed Two Hands but it's been a while since I've watched it. I can't really add more to the IMDb synopsis except that Heath is adorable as a bad-boy gangster wannabe with a heart of gold.  It's quite funny with lots of action as I recall.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3482 on: January 16, 2008, 09:25:47 pm »
That was me! I bought the series when it became available on DVD it's called ROAR.  It's cheesy, much like XENA, but Heath makes it more than watchable (*fans himself*).  He has a love scene with Keri Russell in the first episode, then she gets killed, but they were cute together.  They had some chemistry, which is nice.   So many of his films are notable for the lack of chemistry between him and his co-star. With the exception of Charlotte Gainsbourg, Abbie Cornish, Jake Gyllenhall, Matt Damon, Rose Byrne, Naomi Watts and maybe Julia Stiles.

see, I thought he had zilch chemistry with Naomi Watts...

::)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3483 on: January 16, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »
fwiw, I agree with oilgun's assessment of Two Hands.

here is an excerpt from a reviewer(CB 102174) on netflix: "I admit I was skeptical when I saw ths movie a few years ago. I knew of Heath Ledger, but didn't think much of his work. But, "Two Hands" is actually a terrific movie and a welcome surprise. The story is fairly straightforward: a young man (Ledger) gets in himself into trouble and debt with a crime boss (Bryan Brown), which leads him into even more problems. It may sound serious, but there is also a great deal of dark humor that runs through the movie. In a way, it reminded of "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels." But, as opposed to that movie which is non-stop action and humor, "Two Hands" has funny or strange moments that come as great surprises. Ledger is fantastic and totally carries the movie. It was this performance which changed my perception of him and led me to enjoy his subsequent work. Also very strong is Bryan Brown..."

I caught the movie on Saturday afternoon t.v. one day, didn't actually catch the whole thing, must admit.  But what I like about it is the earnestness of Heath's character...  and from an acting perspective, he didn't ever seem to waiver or coast through, if that makes any sense...

yb

« Reply #3484 on: January 16, 2008, 10:00:58 pm »

Definitely no argument from me there.  They might have the best off-screen chemisty but on-screen there was absolutely zero and I found it nearly painful to watch.  Actually I think Heath has better chemistry on-screen with Sienna Miller than Naomi Watts.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3485 on: January 16, 2008, 10:01:48 pm »
Regarding Heath's other movies, I have a couple things to say:

1) Monster's Ball is only worth the first 20 minutes when Heath does an audition for Ennis.

2) I fell asleep watching Brothers Grimm.

3) Casanova was charming.

4) Candy was difficult to take.

5)  He's very briefly naked in I'm Not There.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3486 on: January 16, 2008, 10:08:46 pm »

Really?  I thought the scene in the barn was pretty hot, but it's been so long, I'll have to watch it again.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3487 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:25 pm »
Regarding Heath's other movies, I have a couple things to say:

1) Monster's Ball is only worth the first 20 minutes when Heath does an audition for Ennis.

2) I fell asleep watching Brothers Grimm.

3) Casanova was charming.

4) Candy was difficult to take.

5)  He's very briefly naked in I'm Not There.

I agree with this, except 5...

He was briefly naked, which was good, but there is other stuff, too, which was fun to watch. It was a decent Heath experience.

(You know, Paul darling, you sound so clinical, summarizing his movies so succinctly....LOL)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3488 on: January 16, 2008, 10:31:56 pm »
Really?  I thought the scene in the barn was pretty hot, but it's been so long, I'll have to watch it again.

that scene was convincing-enough, but I did not find scenes before or after (i.e. where there was dialog not sex, lol)  believable.

;D

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3489 on: January 16, 2008, 10:35:11 pm »
I agree with this, except 5...

He was briefly naked, which was good, but there is other stuff, too, which was fun to watch. It was a decent Heath experience.

(You know, Paul darling, you sound so clinical, summarizing his movies so succinctly....LOL)

while I enjoyed the naked scenes as much as the next person, one of my favorite scenes was the break-up scene, when Heath's giant frame was engulfing Charlotte's...

(ps- I'm really enjoying talking about little aspects of all of his movies!)