Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770048 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3540 on: January 21, 2008, 02:00:09 pm »

Elle Lynne is in seattle.  Maybe you two could get together and see it.  I am sure she would like it.......give her a call.

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3541 on: January 21, 2008, 02:11:26 pm »

Elle Lynne is in seattle.  Maybe you two could get together and see it.  I am sure she would like it.......give her a call.

I'm hoping she's going to join me today.  Haven't heard back yet.  She's still in Canada, I think.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3542 on: January 21, 2008, 02:20:16 pm »
Yep, I'm popping in briefly. Before I see the movie.

I haven't got a clue about Bob Dylan. Sure I know what the man looks like and I've of course heard him sing + know some of his most well-known songs, but I don't know anything about *him*. So whatever they show me in the movie, at least I'm not a Dylan purist with lots of specific moments I want to see recaptured on screen, or else....

I hope you like the movie despite not knowing much about Dylan, Mika.  I didn't know much of anything either, so I was grateful that I caught a goodly portion of a long documentary that Scorsese made on Dylan on PBS shortly before I saw "I'm Not There."  It helped make at least a little sense of the disparate characters and scenes.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3543 on: January 21, 2008, 03:00:44 pm »
Have you seen I'm Not There yet? Has that come to Germany?

L

NOOooooooo-hoooooo, I haven't,  huuu-huuuhuuu  *sobs again*

That's how this conversation between Mikaela and me started a few pages ago  :laugh:
I'm Not There won't start in Germany before *gasp* February, 28th:o

Do I live under a rock or what?  >:(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3544 on: January 21, 2008, 03:08:39 pm »

That's how this conversation between Mikaela and me started a few pages ago  :laugh:

Well, at least it will be there sometime! It would be worse if it never opened...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3545 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:07 pm »

(do pictures help or hurt?)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3546 on: January 21, 2008, 06:26:45 pm »
O-K!  I'm back from "I'm not there".  Ready to blather all about it!  ;)

So here goes: Opinions + **spoilers**

What a movie! I feel my head is completely reeling - it was wonderfully challenging to try to make sense of it all, but so ....stimulating, for lack of a better word. There was no doubt from the first 5 minutes that I was watching moviemaking of the highest order. Despite my Dylan cluelessness: The narrative, and the imagery, and the music, and the mosaic and puzzle of storylines and dialogue kept me both focused and riveted. Attention-grabbers galore!!

I bow low before Cate Blanchett. Her part of the tale was so fascinating, and she just sucked me into the tale so that it was inconsequential who she was or even who she was playing. So much food for thought in that part of the tale - all that fandom stuff seen from the side of the idol, the idol-becoming-fan as his own idol(s) appear(s), from the perspect of fans of all stripes (including the purists and the newbies), the know-it-all cultural elite and reviewers, the gossipmongers, the press, the hangers-on.... (Also I totally loved Michelle Williams's sultry turn here. Yes! Don't know which Real Life person she was playing but that just helped me form my own ideas about her character.) This whole storyline surely *has* to catch the interest and cause some introspection in anyone who's ever been in fandom, - any fandom....

But enough of that, and over to Heath. Hello Ennis! The scene where he's chatting up his wife-to-be in a restaurant early on, and the scene where they agree on divorce...both had so much of a slightly more relaxed Ennis-Heath (expressions, mannerisms, that little cough to clear the voice...) that I nearly choked up. I think I'm in love. I seriously, totally loved Heath's portrayal in all of this, it's nearly embarrassing how much I liked it.  ::)   
And his storyline, that was so spooky.... two artists falling head-over-heels passionately in love, having children quickly, things going sour very soon, paparazzi stalking them, trying to make the relationship work, quarrels, the break-up, hanging with others, uneasy divorce, juggling time with the kids in-between travelling & roles gigs.  I can't help thinking that it must all have seemed such an echo of real life for Heath.  The actress who played his wife was perfect for the role. It was a tough side of the story but made such an impact! That ice-blue lighting that nearly all their part of the tale had been filmed in.... unforgiving, revealing, but also lending a mood and a clear, cold colour that I actually thought becoming to all those scenes.

The other actors playing Dylan were fine, but I didn't understand the first thing about the Richard Gere part of the tale at all, and that was annoying. (And also a bit boring because it took its sweet time confusing me more and more). 

I'm pretty sure this one will rank near the very top of my list of Heath films. I need to let it sink in a bit more.

:)

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3547 on: January 21, 2008, 06:28:48 pm »
I'm so glad you liked it!!

;D
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3548 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »
Loved it!  :) But I feel very tired, - the result of quite intense concentration for the entire run time of the film. 

PS: When we exited the theatre, what else did we see than posters for "Rendition" which over here has been titled "Presumed guilty". Jake's latest is finally approaching these shores as well.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3549 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:30 pm »
Hey Mikaela,

Thanks for these comments. I agree--that scene in the coffee shop with Heath/Robbie and his future wife was so Ennis--I think it might have been my favorite scene in the movie. But I thought all the Heath stuff was excellent, as well as Christian Bale. The little kid (Woodie Guthrie) was also excellent. Cate was great but I got tired of her scenes. They started to feel repetitious to me. And like many others have said, the Richard Gere part was to me, the weakest link. I have since done some reading that Dylan was in Sam Peckinpah's Billy the Kid movie, so I guess that is what it was referencing, but like you, it sailed right by me.

I am glad you enjoyed it!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!