Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3769077 times)

Scott6373

Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3650 on: January 23, 2008, 02:00:43 pm »
I don't think he defined an era.  I think he reminded us of what being totally involved n your craft is all about.  His whole self was in every role he played, regardless of how silly the part was.  Those performers and performances are rare not only for us as an audience, but for a performer as well.  It's hard to explain if you aren't a performing artist.  Those moments of total involvement, body, mind and soul are hard to forget on both sides of the aisle.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3651 on: January 23, 2008, 02:03:47 pm »
I love that article, but don't know about the accuracy of this:  . . . he should have had time to outgrow his early promise and become the strange, surprising, era-defining actor he always had the potential to be.

I think he defined an era all right.

He sure did Laura. I was explaining to my kids why I was feeling sad today. I told them that I probably wouldn't be a brokie if not for this man. I'm sure they can't quite get this, but they gave me a big hug anyway.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3652 on: January 23, 2008, 02:09:34 pm »
I like the part about his curiosity... I felt that from him, benevolence too.

I am so glad I have interviews and what not saved on my DVR...  such a special person.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3653 on: January 23, 2008, 02:10:02 pm »
Sounds like you sure have some sweet kids, Bell.   :-*

Quote from: Scott
It's hard to explain if you aren't a performing artist.

I am, actually.  (But thanks for explaining, Scott)   ::)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3654 on: January 23, 2008, 02:11:39 pm »
January 24, 2008
Appreciation
An Actor Whose Work Will Outlast the Frenzy
By A. O. SCOTT

That's very nicely written, thanks for posting it Leslie!  I also liked Mick Lasalle's tribute.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3655 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:35 pm »
Another blog from the New York Times:

January 23rd, 2008 11:24 AM

For The Moment | Jeff Klein on Heath Ledger

By Jeff Klein

This week’s guest blogger is Jeff Klein, the hotelier behind The City Club in New York and the Sunset Tower in Los Angeles.

When I was asked to write for this blog I was honored, but I remember thinking two things: how difficult it would be to find five subjects to write about, and how I refused to write about my famous clientele, whom I make it a habit not to discuss for many reasons. My hotels are a safe haven for celebrities who appreciate that our employees will not sell them out to the tabloids — I am always amazed to hear how much money is being offered to my staff for tips and even pics of celebrities. — and I am very proud that as far as I know no one has taken the quick cash. Of course, this only infuriates the paparazzi, some of whom have declared war on my hotels, but I am okay with that. Unlike my competition, I want to be judged by my product, not by who stays there. However, because of an unfortunate turn of events, Heath Ledger, who lived in the Sunset Tower for about four months — and who visited us frequently even after he bought a house and moved out — passed away yesterday. I hope I am respecting him and honoring him by writing this.

My dealings with Ledger began when his agent called me personally — they often do — to make a reservation. Ledger was shooting a movie and wanted to stay in the Sunset Tower for four months. It was one of my first celebrities at the hotel and I was insanely excited for so many reasons. He was hot hot hot and fresh off “Brokeback Mountain,” which everyone was talking about. He was sure to get an Oscar and soon! So I couldn’t believe he wanted to stay at my hotel. I also loved the thought of having a long-term guest and not just because he was a celebrity. I remember thinking how chic it would be to live in a hotel.

Ledger and Michelle Williams, his wife at the time, took a suite with their baby and the nanny. And he soon revealed himself to be one of the kindest, sweetest guests we have ever had. He had absolutely no pretention, was very chic (in a sort of bohemian way) and was always a gentleman to all the employees here, including me.

Case in point: I remember one time I was having a business meeting with an elderly event planner of the gay persuasion. I was late to our meeting and this gentleman was wearing an ascot and waiting for me in the lobby. I remember when I approached that he looked as if he had seen a ghost: “Heath Ledger was just checking me out,” he bleated, before I could even manage to apologize for being late. I remember getting very protective of my guest, whom I knew was not gay. (If he was, he would surely not be hitting on this 70-year-old queen.) So I told the event planner that we needed to move into my office where we could have some privacy. What happened next was not only shocking, but also very out of character for a celebrity who has much better things to do with his time.

Ledger passed by us in the lobby and with all the confidence that only someone truly comfortable with their sexuality could muster, he winked at the event planner, who just about fainted. Needless to say, I snagged the very lucrative event, thanks to Ledger’s flirtatiousness. The next day I saw Ledger in the Tower Bar having dinner and he said, “So, did you book the party?” I later learned that he had heard everything the event planner had said about him. He was just happy to help me get this party. There are not many people, let alone famous accomplished ones, who are so thoughtful. To this day, I appreciated the effort he made.

Heath Ledger was an extremely talented actor, a devoted father, and a very kind giving man. He was also the perfect hotel guest and he will be very missed by us all at Sunset Tower.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3656 on: January 23, 2008, 03:11:13 pm »

My god, she looks so like her poor daddy.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3657 on: January 23, 2008, 03:13:39 pm »

Thank you for the articles you've been posting Leslie.  :)

~M

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3658 on: January 23, 2008, 03:15:04 pm »
I love A. O. Scott even more now.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3659 on: January 23, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »
I love A. O. Scott even more now.

Yeah, even if he did miss the boat completely with is review of "Atonement." Oh well, everyone has an off day...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!