Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3768978 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3660 on: January 23, 2008, 03:17:16 pm »
Thank you for the articles you've been posting Leslie.  :)

~M

I am glad you appreciate them, Milli. It is helping to keep me sane today!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3661 on: January 23, 2008, 03:23:55 pm »
Yeah, A.O. is one of my favorite movie critics. That was beautifully written.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3662 on: January 23, 2008, 03:47:55 pm »
January 24, 2008
Appreciation
An Actor Whose Work Will Outlast the Frenzy
By A. O. SCOTT

Wonderful, thoughtful article. Thanks for posting it, Leslie.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3663 on: January 23, 2008, 04:20:14 pm »
Here's one from Slate:

obit
10 Things I Loved About Heath Ledger

What made him irreplaceable.
By Dana Stevens
Posted Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008, at 1:09 PM ET

Obituaries—especially obituaries for the young, beautiful, and unexpectedly dead—are a hopeless genre to write. The deadline is, by definition, past, and you know you've already been scooped countless times. So rather than research a tribute to Heath Ledger by watching the ghoulish three-minute-long video of Ledger's body being wheeled out on a gurney, or clicking through photos of his 2-year-old daughter (just three months older than mine), I stayed up most of the night watching and re-watching a few of his movies. I wanted to understand, without resorting to gushy and imprecise phrases like "most promising actor of his generation," the particular quality he had that will be missing from movies now. There are plenty of promising actors in his generation, but there's no one who can do that Heath Ledger thing. What was it, exactly?

For one thing, there was the novelty of a guy that effortlessly good-looking—who in his or her right mind wouldn't want to get next to Heath Ledger?—gravitating to eccentric, even flamboyant, character roles. In Lords of Dogtown (2005), Ledger plays not one of the blond skate rats but Skip Engblom, the middle-aged and perpetually drunk surf-shop owner who coaches the skateboarding team to greatness. This scruffy, inspirational sports picture, a fictionalized remake of the skateboarding documentary Dogtown and Z-Boys, can barely contain Ledger's gonzo performance. He's fresh from Val Kilmer College, comically unhinged and unprecedentedly ugly. Late in the movie, after the Z-Boys skate their way to juicy endorsement deals and desert Skip one by one, he hurls surfboards off the roof of his store in a self-destructive rage, then sprawls on the roof's edge, guzzling from a bottle of whiskey while the crowd below gasps for fear he'll throw himself off. Hard to watch on the night he presumably died of an overdose? A little bit.

Then again, so was the sheerly goofy scene from the 1999 romantic comedy 10 Things I Hate About You, in which a 19-year-old Ledger belts out "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" to Julia Stiles over the school PA system during soccer practice. This is Ledger in straight-up teen-heartthrob mode—throwing paintballs, going to the prom—but, once again, he doesn't quite fit in the movie. It's not that he's ill at ease in the role, quite the contrary. His graceful physicality and loose-limbed charm point up the artificiality of the whole proceedings and make the rest of the actors look stiffly conventional. Like Brando and James Dean—actors to whom he's no doubt now being compared, and whom he was clearly referencing as the tormented movie star in I'm Not There—Ledger was an actor whose sheer physical charisma seemed at times to jut out from the surface of his movies.

But then there's Brokeback Mountain, a movie in which Ledger belongs so completely that, in the end, the movie belongs to him. That's not to discount Jake Gyllenhaal's fine performance as the volatile, openly needy Jack Twist. But it's the recalcitrance of Ennis Del Mar, Ledger's more deeply closeted cowboy, that drives the story forward. Brokeback Mountain isn't just about the impossibility of two men loving each other; it's about the impossibility of anyone loving this particular man. Not only Jack Twist, but Ennis' wife (Michelle Williams, who fell in love with Ledger during the filming) and a dime-a-dance bar girl (Linda Cardellini) all hack away unsuccessfully at Ennis' shell. I remember, when Brokeback came out, two friends telling me separately that the flinty, secretly tender, intermittently rageful Ennis reminded them painfully of their own shut-down fathers. An impressive achievement for an actor who was 26 at the time.

I'm Not There, last year's addiction drama Candy, and the tantalizingly creepy trailer for this summer's The Dark Knight all suggest that Ledger was learning to choose roles that took advantage of that peculiar quality he had of seeming at once larger than life and inwardly focused. In the years to come, I'm sure there'll be movies that make audiences think, damn, Heath Ledger could have nailed that role. So I won't opine on how sad it is that a gifted young man, someone's father and someone's son, lost his life at the threshold of a great career. I'll just say that the movies themselves will miss Heath Ledger.
Dana Stevens is Slate's movie critic. You can write her at [email protected].

http://www.slate.com/id/2182669/nav/tap3/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3664 on: January 23, 2008, 04:33:12 pm »
And from Salon:

Remembering Heath Ledger
He was young, he was beautiful, and he had a pure gift for playing troubled souls -- which makes the actor's death all the more tragic.

By Mary Elizabeth Williams

Jan. 23, 2008 | Maybe it wasn't a coincidence that he was so good at playing troubled souls. Addicts. Suicides. Victims. The cause of Heath Ledger's death, at age 28, on Jan. 22 is still unknown, but the circumstances -- naked, near pills -- paint a tragic last picture of a man who had an uncanny talent for playing tragic people.

Why, then, does the thought of Heath Ledger so often make us smile? Is it just that he was so beautiful and young? Or was it that he was radiant, an actor who could invite the audience to curl up inside all the pain within his characters, the better to get close to their warmth, their depth, their humanity?

Ledger began his career as a teenager, doing television and film work in his native Australia. His breakthrough came in the role of romantic, eccentric Patrick Verona in 1999's "10 Things I Hate About You." It was the first movie I ever saw him in, and I'll never forget sitting in that crowded preview audience, experiencing the all too rare thrill of watching a star being made. Ledger wasn't just another teen-comedy pretty boy, although he was, undeniably, very pretty. As the less-dangerous-than-he-looks leading man, he was broody, funny, sexier than a guy playing a high schooler ought to be, and completely magnetic.

I wasn't the only one who noticed. He immediately ascended to blockbuster fare like "The Patriot" (2000), in which he played Mel Gibson's impassioned, doomed son. He took top billing soon after, in 2001's "A Knight's Tale." With Ledger staring intensely from the posters, the film boldly promised, "He will rock you." It's a promise Hollywood doesn't make about anyone less than a superstar. He was a knight in muddy armor; the movie itself is a weird heap of anachronistic drivel. I should know; I've seen it three times. There's just something about the charm of its star.

Ledger could have parlayed his roguish good looks and easy, action-ready muscle power into a long roster of utter dreck. He sometimes did, too, in clunkers like 2002's "The Four Feathers" and 2005's "The Brothers Grimm."

He often didn't, though. He went for smaller roles and riskier films. He played the tormented prison guard Sonny in "Monster's Ball" (2002), burning with anguish over his life, over his father's disappointment in him. He took on his toughest, and arguably best, role as the taciturn, closeted Ennis Del Mar in 2005's "Brokeback Mountain," for which he earned his sole Academy Award nomination. Another actor might have gone for a showier performance. Another actor might have won that Oscar, or at least a Golden Globe. But Ledger instead chose to stay fiercely true to the character, to play him with such devastating restraint, such roiling inner turmoil, that I can never think of him in those last few moments of the film without welling up.

When he and his "Brokeback" costar Michelle Williams moved to my Brooklyn, N.Y., neighborhood in 2005, my little corner of the borough went on full-throttle Heath watch. Friends spotted him drinking at restaurants on Smith Street or toting their daughter, Matilda, around Boerum Hill. The owners of the wine shop breathlessly reported his presence among their racks. We were not our usual blasé, jaded selves with Heath Ledger. We were starstruck.

Not that he spent much time cooling his heels at the local doughnut house. He crammed his résumé with new roles. He continued to challenge himself, to mix lighter fare like "Casanova" (2005) with small indies like "Candy" (2006), in which he plumbed the selfish, sweaty depths of heroin addiction. He bravely took on the iconic, channeling Dylan in last year's "I'm Not There," and painting on a mile-wide smile as the Joker in the forthcoming Batman sequel "The Dark Knight."

Yet for all his achievements, one of his first obits referred to him flippantly as "Heartthrob Heath Ledger." Though a legion of weak-kneed fans might not disagree with the term, it sells his talent far too short. He didn't just make hearts throb. He made them break.

He and Williams parted ways last fall. Ledger, who had been battling a bout of pneumonia, recently admitted to the New York Times that he was "stressed out" and had taken Ambien to combat insomnia. He was seen dining with his new girlfriend two nights ago. Then something happened.

At 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 22, a massage therapist and a housekeeper found his lifeless body in bed in an apartment in SoHo. Had the pain that suffused so many of his performances become too real? I hope he found peace. I wish an equal measure of it for those who loved him. The loss for us as moviegoers is big. The void for a 2-year-old girl without her father today is incalculable.

When I remember him -- a word that still doesn't sound real or right yet -- I will see a montage in my mind of indelible on-screen moments. I'll see him, blissfully bored, waving his hand through a Bunsen burner flame in "10 Things I Hate About You." I'll see him clutching a bloodstained shirt in "Brokeback Mountain," his face crumpled in haunted longing. I'll see him declaring his love with his last, self-destructive breath in "Monster's Ball." I'll see a flawless face that conveyed the rage, loss, menace and profound ardor of such fascinating, flawed characters. And I will be desolate and disappointed and angry as hell that there will be no more new moments to come.

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2008/01/23/ledger/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3665 on: January 23, 2008, 04:34:17 pm »

Heath and Matilda Leave Footprints in Brooklyn
WEDNESDAY JANUARY 23, 2008 02:40 PM EST
By Beth Perry
PHOTO BY: BRAD BARKET / GETTY

As friends, family and colleagues talk about the imprint Heath Ledger left on their lives, his neighbors said the 28-year-old actor left something even more permanent in Brooklyn – with a little help from his daughter Matilda.

Roger Lang, who lived across the street from Ledger and Michelle Williams during the then-couple's time in Brooklyn, tells PEOPLE it was Ledger who put the markings in wet cement near the fire hydrant in front of their house. "The Matilda thing in the sidewalk with the footprints, he did that about two years ago," Lang says. "It was a secret. It was a fun thing. He did it as a surprise for his family."

The 2-year-old's name is perpendicular to the word HUGO, which is the name of a neighbor's dog. On Wednesday some carnations wrapped in plastic were placed near the spot.

Adds Lang: "He was full of life. He'd call my father Matey. 'Hi Matey.' Because he was in World War II. They're great people and it's very tragic. They loved Brooklyn. They wanted to be a part of the neighborhood."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20173265,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines&cid=recirc-ewRecirc

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3666 on: January 23, 2008, 04:38:25 pm »
Oh, that picture is wonderful. Thanks, Elle!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3667 on: January 23, 2008, 04:40:54 pm »
Leslie, Katherine, thank you for posting these thoughtful and knowledgable obituaries. It does a body good after all the nasty media hoopla of yesterday.

~~

This tragedy has reminded me of the sad and untimely death of a famous performer/singer in Norway last autumn. I could give name and details, but nobody would know him here, I suspect. He was unexpectedly found dead in his bed, at age 30. He had lived a hectic life travelling and performing, and it was known he had been having some health troubles causing him to cancel certain performances and behaving a bit volatilely in public, though nothing very alarming or attention-grabbing. Upon his death the media jumped to overdose / drugs type conclusions. So did the police, speaking at first of "a personal tragedy" which is the standard euphemism here for suicide. However, the autopsy revealed that no such thing was the case. What had happened: His heart had given out as a result of a bronchitis infection and stress - and one would assume, as a result of having taxed his energy and put too much pressure on himself over time, draining his physical resources.

All of that seems eerily similar to what has been known about Heath's health - and his restless, nervous energy certainly is well known.

I wonder if the above may not also be the conclusion concerning the reason for Heath's death. If there were other reasons though, as so morbidly and strongly indicated in the voracious media hoopla,- I won't respect him one iota less, nor love his films and Ennis less. Not at all. That has nothing to do with this. I only wish the media could be more restrained and respectful and not so obviously ghoulishly delighted in horrid speculation and unneccessary details.  :(

ETA: What a lovely image and story of the prints in the concrete!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3668 on: January 23, 2008, 04:50:43 pm »
also from People:

Ang Lee Calls Heath's Death 'Heartbreaking'

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 23, 2008 03:40 PM EST

Brokeback Mountain director Ang Lee reflects fondly on working with Heath Ledger, calling the actor's untimely death "heartbreaking."

"Working with Heath was one of the purest joys of my life," the director says in a statement. "He brought to the role of Ennis [Del Mar] more than any of us could have imagined – a thirst for life, for love, and for truth, and a vulnerability that made everyone who knew him love him. His death is heartbreaking."

Ledger was nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award for his role as Ennis Del Mar, a taciturn gay cowboy in the 2005 drama.

After completing the film in 2005, Lee spoke to PEOPLE about working on set with his leading man. "He understood the cowboy way, just in the way he posed, and his body language and how it developed over the course of the film," Lee said at the time.

The director also believed that Ledger understood and empathized with his character's darker elements. "He understood the shyness and vulnerability and isolation of the character," said Lee. "He really got that. And he did it while carrying the Western aura."

While praising Ledger's "great worth ethic," the director also opened up about the star's relationship with costar Michelle Williams, joking, "On the set I pushed him towards Jake [Gyllenhaal]. Maybe I pushed him too hard and he escaped out on the other side with Michelle."

"I think he will be a great father," Lee continued at the time, discussing the birth of Ledger's daughter Matilda, now 2-years-old. "It has overwhelmed him, much more than the movie has. He is enjoying every bit of it."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20173296,00.html

mvansand76

« Reply #3669 on: January 23, 2008, 05:01:15 pm »
Dunno if this image of Heath appears anywhere else on this thread, but I thought I'd share ...

That's beautiful.

:'( :'( :'(

You know what... Usually, I am always so excited when a scene from Brokeback Mountain is shown on TV. Today I wanted to kick the TV and scream when I saw the Brokeback Mountain clips, especially the one in which Ennis says "I guess I'll see you around..."