Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770470 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3790 on: January 25, 2008, 09:43:00 am »
I don't particularly care for this picture, but then, it's not all about me, is it? I found this in an Australian newspaper with this caption: "Sad unveiling ... this portrait of Ledger by Vincent Fantauzzo was to be entered for the Archibald Prize. Ledger sat for the artist in Perth only last month."

No disrespect to the artist meant, but sorry, I can't help it. What a horrible, horrible picture.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3791 on: January 25, 2008, 09:47:34 am »
I don't particularly care for this picture, but then, it's not all about me, is it? I found this in an Australian newspaper with this caption: "Sad unveiling ... this portrait of Ledger by Vincent Fantauzzo was to be entered for the Archibald Prize. Ledger sat for the artist in Perth only last month."

The Archibald Prize is Australia's most prestigious art prize for portraiture. The exhibition should be opening some time soon. It's usually around the beginning of the year. It will be interesting to see if Vincent Fantauzzo will take the prize this year. I personally think his triple portrait of Heath is nothing short of genius. Right up there with  the great Van Dyck triple portrait of Charles I, IMHO (depicted below). And equally as tragic. I love it and will certainly be going to see it at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, in Sydney, when the exhibition opens. Further immortality for our beloved Heath, this time in oils on canvas. Such a painting will be around for centuries to come. At last, some good news has emerged from this heartbreaking week.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3792 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:25 am »
Happy times.

Just a few days ago, I made a joke right on this thread about me having a date with Heath in Maine, when I'll visit Leslie (meaning seeing Casanova together).
Happy times, just a few days ago.

We still have that date, Chrissi....Casanova will make you happy, I think.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3793 on: January 25, 2008, 09:49:31 am »
Here's a nice tribute, with some clever photoshopping:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_80dgIYKPI[/youtube]

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3794 on: January 25, 2008, 09:50:18 am »
The Archibald Prize is Australia's most prestigious art prize for portraiture. The exhibition should be opening some time soon. It's usually around the beginning of the year. It will be interesting to see if Vincent Fantauzzo will take the prize this year. I personally think his triple portrait of Heath is nothing short of genius. Right up there with  the great Van Dyck triple portrait of Charles I, IMHO (depicted below). And equally as tragic. I love it and will certainly be going to see it at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, in Sydney, when the exhibition opens. Further immortality for our beloved Heath, this time in oils on canvas. Such a painting will be around for centuries to come. At last, some good news has emerged from this heartbreaking week.  :'(

Kerry, thanks for that. It helps me understand the picture a little bit more.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3795 on: January 25, 2008, 09:55:57 am »

Well, I like it... a lot. I think it is very well done and can be interpreted in many ways. IMO Fantauzzo is a very good painter.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3796 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:55 am »
We still have that date, Chrissi....Casanova will make you happy, I think.

L

Still looking forward to it, no doubt 'bout that. :)

And this is officially the first laughing smiley I used for days.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3797 on: January 25, 2008, 10:03:11 am »
I was going to buy Casanova today. It was sold out. And just out of curiosity I looked for other Heath movies. And I found none, Brokeback Mountain, the Brothers Grimm, they were all sold out.

That can't be a coincidence...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3798 on: January 25, 2008, 10:05:28 am »
Uhm, I just wanted to clarify that my personal opinion doesn't content any judgement about Fantauzzo's art. It may be a very high-class piece of art.

But for me, personally, it's too dark, too sad. I think I wouldn't even have liked it under different circumstances.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3799 on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:50 am »
I was going to buy Casanova today. It was sold out. And just out of curiosity I looked for other Heath movies. And I found none, Brokeback Mountain, the Brothers Grimm, they were all sold out.

That can't be a coincidence...

I,ve just had a look on www.amazon.co.uk and Brokeback Mountain is still avaliable. I think a knights tale was out of stock but brothers grimm was avaliable. I didn,t check for all Heaths, movies but they might still be availiable for you to buy.