Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770115 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3800 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:40 am »
Uhm, I just wanted to clarify that my personal opinion doesn't content any judgement about Fantauzzo's art. It may be a very high-class piece of art.

But for me, personally, it's too dark, too sad. I think I wouldn't even have liked it under different circumstances.

Your not alone. Sorry, no disrespect to anyone who does like it or to the artist, but I think it,s dreadfull.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3801 on: January 25, 2008, 10:12:24 am »

But for me, personally, it's too dark, too sad. I think I wouldn't even have liked it under different circumstances.

I agree Chrissi. It reminds me too much of 'sleeping pills' or 'anxiety pills' *sigh*

Maybe this is still all too raw to appreciate this painting. Maybe in time it will be better. 
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3802 on: January 25, 2008, 10:14:25 am »
I,ve just had a look on www.amazon.co.uk and Brokeback Mountain is still avaliable. I think a knights tale was out of stock but brothers grimm was avaliable. I didn,t check for all Heaths, movies but they might still be availiable for you to buy.

Thanks for the info Souxi. It was a 'real' store I went to. But as I didn't find a copy of Casanova there, I'll get one online.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3803 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:50 am »
I like it because it shows Heath as a man, as a human being, not a as a movie star.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #3804 on: January 25, 2008, 10:30:40 am »
The Archibald Prize is Australia's most prestigious art prize for portraiture. The exhibition should be opening some time soon. It's usually around the beginning of the year. It will be interesting to see if Vincent Fantauzzo will take the prize this year. I personally think his triple portrait of Heath is nothing short of genius. Right up there with  the great Van Dyck triple portrait of Charles I, IMHO (depicted below). And equally as tragic. I love it and will certainly be going to see it at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, in Sydney, when the exhibition opens. Further immortality for our beloved Heath, this time in oils on canvas. Such a painting will be around for centuries to come. At last, some good news has emerged from this heartbreaking week.  :'(

I agree with you Kerry, it's an amazing portrait and I really hope it wins, but then I'm biased.  It's beautiful, honest and revealing and under the circumstances, heartbreaking.  A  wonderful and unexpected gift, really, the artist is very talented.  I just love it!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3805 on: January 25, 2008, 10:35:48 am »
Regarding that painting....as I said to Natali in chat....I think I could appreciate it in an art gallery or museum, but I wouldn't want it hanging on my wall. It's not my taste but I have some sense of what the artist was trying to accomplish.

Regarding Heath movies: I ran through my Heath inventory last night and realized I have BBM (of course), A Knight's Tale, Casanova, and The Lords of Dogtown. The other day I ordered The Four Feathers from amazon.com so that should be arriving soon.

Now here is the slightly eerie coincidence: on Tuesday morning I was in the grocery store and I was looking at the $9.99 video display. One of them was The Patriot. I thought about buying it but decided not to, since I haven't been too charmed by Mel Gibson lately. But today...I think I will go back and pick it up.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3806 on: January 25, 2008, 12:15:24 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3807 on: January 25, 2008, 12:51:20 pm »
I went to the grocery store and bought The Patriot, like I said I would, and I also bought People magazine, with Heath on the cover. And the article starts with this bit of information:

The man who inked the name "Matilda" on Heath Ledger's stomach couldn't wait to see his friend again. "We were always excited when Heath came around; he was the warmest, most down-to-earth dude," says Joseph Ari Aloi, th Brooklyn tattoo artist who created Ledger's quirky tribute to his beloved 2 year old daughter last year...

Matilda inked on his stomach? Who knew?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3808 on: January 25, 2008, 01:19:01 pm »
Here's a link to the website for the artist who painted the triple-portrait of Heath.  Or at least it's his gallery's website.  I actually think that some of the other pieces shown on this website are a little more successful as paintings.  He's working in the tradition of photo-realism, mostly (it looks like).  And this can be a particularly difficult style to pull-off well.  Chuck Close and Phillip Pearlstein are two of the most famous artists who use this style (they each paint like this sometimes... but certainly not always).  Personally, it's not my favorite representation of Heath.  But, that's just purely a personal reaction.

http://www.vincentfantauzzo.com/index.htm

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3809 on: January 25, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »
Matilda inked on his stomach? Who knew?

Somehow that's just yet another sad detail. To think of all those people's names and memorial tattoos being buried along with him.

:'(

(Sorry if that's too directly sad.)