Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3768518 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #3850 on: January 26, 2008, 11:05:48 pm »
The first three of the movies on the Amazon list are comedies. I suspect that people are looking for something to make them laugh. (And they have also been mentioned a lot in the obituaries.)

I know that clip from A Knight's Tale that is linked earlier on this thread made me smile, and I had needed to smile.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3851 on: January 26, 2008, 11:39:53 pm »
I am also surprised that Brokeback is not at the top of the list, but I really am glad to see this many of Heath's movies as best sellers. I know HBO is also showing Brokeback, but I don't know if it was already on their schedule or if it is in tribute to Heath.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3852 on: January 27, 2008, 12:09:08 am »

Also the red scribble on the middle figure's chest, low left (from his perspective) - that I initially took to be the artist's signature -  has to be the name Matilda in red.

Tattooed over the heart. Oh, my.  :'(

I wonder if this is the tattoo of "Matilda" on his stomach that we've been reading about.  I am guessing yes, since this is realism. 

I am so grateful to get to see it.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3853 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:53 am »

It's getting so I have to wonder why people aren't buying Monster's Ball? Or Lords of Dogtown... maybe they are further down the list.

Well, at least one person bought Lords of Dogtown from Amazon this week.  Me.

I also went into my unused Blockbuster account and put all of Heath's films that they had (which was all of them from Blackrock on) at the top of my queue in chronological order, so I'll start receiving them, starting with Blackrock.  My plan is to watch them, even the ones I cavalierly didn't make it through the first time, because I thought there would be a wealth of Heath coming along.  Remember how just a week ago I whined that I wished he would make a romantic comedy?   :-\

Offline BelAir

« Reply #3854 on: January 27, 2008, 12:26:41 am »
Yes, Elle, I remember...
 :(

hugs, my friend.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3855 on: January 27, 2008, 12:44:01 am »
I'll Be Seeing You

I had this song in my head all day yesterday.  Last night, I heard it in the restaurant where I had dinner.
Today, I found it associated with Heath on youtube. 

Paul, that is simply beautiful. It was a little hard for me to watch cause it made me very sad, but I so glad you posted it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #3856 on: January 27, 2008, 12:59:02 am »
I actually purchased all of Heath's movies from Amazon probably a year ago or more. I have not watched all of them yet and I do think I am missing some.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3857 on: January 27, 2008, 07:25:47 am »
Do you mean because it's too "dying as a career move"? Sorry if that phrase sounds insensitive in this context -- but I've seen it applied to people like Elvis and Jim Morrison, people whose popularity shot up after they died.

No (or yes?), well anyway -  mainly because they're buying because Heath is dead. And those 3 words are just so wrong and grieve me so much and depress me like all hell, no other way to put it.  :-\  And further, because I get the whiff of painfully ugly commercial "act to grab the bucks while the body's still warm" - the retailers cashing happily in on the interest surge created by the dreadful and horrid speculation and tales that the media kept going the first few days. Stopping at nothing to gain another buck. So on the side of the buyers I couldn't help feeling there was an element of morbid curiosity. I.e. if they were not invested in Heath's films before, they're now acting on the basis of 3 days of "drugs and substance abuse and pills strewn about and found naked in bed and mysterious Olsen twins connection".   :-\  I feel resentment bubbling up at that.

These are not very rational thoughts. Nor very kind to the buyers, who may be just as distraught as I am. I'm the first to admit that. And it's only one part of my reaction anyway, as my previous post showed.

I agree with what others have commented - people probably are buying the comedies because they want some joy as comfort, in contrast to all the media ugliness.... and people are buying the Heath films they've not alredy got. And I completely agree with this:
Anyway, in this case I see it as positive that people are taking interest and maybe opening their minds a little bit, and in the process helping Heath's legacy live on.

"10 things I hate about you" being on top of the Amazon list somehow made me dare to watch this. It's Heath singing I love you baby in that film, so beware before clicking the link. But I *could* actually bring myself to watch it, and it's so sweet although painful - and I couldn't have done that just one day ago, so I'm starting to process this in my mind, it seems....  :-\  Anyway silly as that sounds, the song's title is not entirely inappropriate for how we're feeling now.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3858 on: January 27, 2008, 08:50:07 am »
I am also surprised that Brokeback is not at the top of the list, but I really am glad to see this many of Heath's movies as best sellers. I know HBO is also showing Brokeback, but I don't know if it was already on their schedule or if it is in tribute to Heath.

I think it was already on the schedule. My parents watched it about 2 weeks ago. My mother saw it in the theater but my father was totally opposed to it, when it first came out. In fact, I'm not sure my mother ever told him she saw it. It was his idea to watch it on HBO--and he thought it was excellent. People do change, even at age 83.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3859 on: January 27, 2008, 08:51:55 am »

I wonder if this is the tattoo of "Matilda" on his stomach that we've been reading about.  I am guessing yes, since this is realism. 

I am so grateful to get to see it.

I think it is too and yes, I am glad to see it.

It said in the People article that the tattoo artist gave himself a tattoo, as a tribute to Heath. Heath's name and the date, 1/22/08.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!