Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3770316 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #4070 on: February 07, 2008, 08:55:22 am »
Clarissa and Mikaela (and anyone who might be interested in reading the book "The Queen's Gambit" with us):
I just checked the status of my order and it says delivery will likely be between Feb, 19th and Feb, 29th!  :o
They already corrected the date once (set for a later date than originally planned, grrr), so it's possible that it will be early March till I receive it *sigh*

Hey, the good news with that, Chrissi, is that others might be ordering it too.  It actually went out of print once, I think I read.  I'll still be glad to talk about it with you.  I'm trying to read it slowly.

Leslie's post came in as I was writing this.  I already started it a while back (it's how come me end up recommending it).  I'm about 3/4 of the way through it.  But I'd like to participate anyway we come up with reading it as a group.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4071 on: February 07, 2008, 08:57:54 am »
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/01/22/2008-01-22_a_look_at_how_heath_ledger_viewed_his_ca.html?page=0

A look at how Heath Ledger viewed his career
BY JOE NEUMAIER

This interview with Heath Ledger ran in the New York Daily News on November 16, 2006.
Actor Heath Ledger isn't joking about his career path
Heath Ledger is still young - 27 - and has done barely a dozen films since coming to America from Perth, on the Australian coast, in the late 1990s. But audiences can be forgiven for thinking there are two Heath Ledgers: the pretty but unpromising kid with the Bob Geldof-circa-1985 hair who starred in "10 Things I Hate About You" (1999) and "A Knight's Tale" (2001), and the mature young father who truly broke out in 2005, and, in "Brokeback Mountain," gave an Oscar-nominated, heartbreaking performance.
It's a revelation that isn't lost on Ledger, who despite his newfound gravity begins an interview by jokily pretending to go out the window when a reporter walks in. Then sitting down and rolling a cigarette, he discusses his new film, "Candy," opening Friday, and mulls a career change others might wait decades for - and which is about to include playing Batman's archvillain.
"When I was making those [early] roles, I was really youthful and careless and I wasn't attached to anything," he says. "I didn't even really care about performance - it was silly and commercial, and I would [have felt] way too concerned with myself if I took it seriously. Where the film was shot was more appealing to me than what it was.
"And so it was just a reflection of a time of my life. From 18 to 22, I was alone, living in L.A. with a bunch of friends, partying. It was more a direct reflection of that. I don't know if I knew, or cared to know, what I was capable of back then. And I guess I'm just starting to, for lack of a better word, care more."
And that, it seems, has made all the difference. Ledger - who started his career on Australian TV in his teens - first gave intimations of deeper things in "Monster's Ball" (2001), in a small role as Billy Bob Thornton's ill-fated son, but that film's turnaround belonged to Halle Berry. Four years later came "Brokeback," a film several actors had passed on during years of development. Ang Lee's movie, starring Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as ranch hands who fall in love, spawned a minor cottage industry of jokes, but it earned Lee a Best Director Oscar and was one of 2005's most critically respected films. And Ledger was the dark horse in the Best Actor race, ultimately losing to Philip Seymour Hoffman for "Capote."

"When I started to watch some of the films I'd done, I realized I was doing movies that I might not actually want to see," Ledger says with a small smile. "I thought, I need to be more cautious about my choices - it reflects on who I am. So I became more respectful of that.
"While I was doing press for 'Knight's Tale,' I felt like a product ... and it felt like a 'Here for a good time, not a long time' kind of thing. It dawned on me that I was sitting at this junction, and these choices would dictate my future, and I just put the brakes on it."
So rather than do more empty action like "The Four Feathers" (2002) and "The Order" (2003), Ledger got serious (even last year's romp "Casanova" was a step up). In "Candy," which he filmed prior to "Brokeback's" release, he plays a young Aussie whose heroin addiction is also taken up by his girlfriend (Abbie Cornish) before both are nearly destroyed by it. The gritty indie film's depiction of drug use is tough instead of bleak chic, more "The Man With the Golden Arm" than "Trainspotting."
"It was like I diverted off the map and took a back road to the place I wanted to get to," Ledger says.
The actor, who'd previously dated Heather Graham and Naomi Watts, met his fiancee, Michelle Williams, on the set of "Brokeback" (she also was Oscar-nominated for it). They now live in Brooklyn, and being a dad - their daughter, Matilda, just turned 1 - and living in New York instead of L.A. has helped ground him, he says.
He'll be seen in Todd Haynes' upcoming "I'm Not There," and he's starting to perfect his cackle for his role as the Joker in "The Dark Knight," director Christopher Nolan's followup to 2005's "Batman Begins." Christian Bale will again be the Caped Crusader.
The Joker was last played onscreen by Jack Nicholson in 1989's "Batman," but Ledger isn't white-faced when he considers the challenge.
"I think [getting the role] was tougher for other people to comprehend than it was for me," Ledger says, giving a crooked grin as he smokes out a window. "I'm looking forward to it. A part of me feels like I've been warming up to [playing the Joker] for years. In 'The Brothers Grimm,' [director] Terry Gilliam helped me put on a sort of clown act and adjust to that sort of pace. And I feel it's something within me I know how to do. I like putting on a mask. It'll be dark and sinister and exciting.
"Not being a huge comic book fan, and not one to really follow comic book movies, I'm relaxed about it," he adds. "The kids in the neighborhood are on to me, though."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4072 on: February 07, 2008, 09:11:44 am »
Is it The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis we're talking about, right?

I just checked my online bookstore and there are quite a few titles with 'Queen's/King's Gambit'

And the dvd Candy arrived today. Maybe we'll watch it tonight.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4073 on: February 07, 2008, 09:18:29 am »
See now reading all that Clarissa just proves one thing to me. Heath,s work wasn,t done atall. How could it be? He was only 28 years old. He had his beautiful daughter to live for. He had SO much more to achieve professionally. He should have been around for the next 30/40 years to see his daughter grow up for one thing. How could his work possibly have been done? He must have had so many plans for  his future and for Matilda.  He had far too much to live for to die. It,s just so bloody unfair.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4074 on: February 07, 2008, 09:23:19 am »
Is it The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis we're talking about, right?

Right.  That's the one.  Walter Tevis also wrote The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hustler, and The Color of Money, which all were made into successful films.

Fabienne, let us know how watching "Candy" goes.  I turned it off about 20 minutes into it (a few months ago), because it was so intense.  But now that I know there won't be more Heath films,  :-\  I do plan on getting around to watching it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4075 on: February 07, 2008, 09:36:41 am »
This is my free advice and it's worth every penny....

Fabienne, I wouldn't be emotionally prepared to watch Candy today, tomorrow, or even next week. Heath is a junkie who shoots up in the very first scene. Given all that has gone on in the past two days, I just don't know that I could watch that--and for me, that would be seeing it again. As a first time experience? Personally, I'd be a wreck.

Just my thought.

I'll repeat what I said a few days ago: I loved Heath in The Four Feathers. He's incredibly handsome in the beginning when he's wearing his Royal Cumbrian uniform. He looks good in the desert scenes. And he looks great at the end, when he's older and wiser. The Four Feathers is a Heath film I can watch right now. Candy....no.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4076 on: February 07, 2008, 09:46:40 am »

Both from The Four Feathers.  Plenty of sartorial variety. 

:'( :) :-\

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4077 on: February 07, 2008, 09:49:44 am »
Right.  That's the one.  Walter Tevis also wrote The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hustler, and The Color of Money, which all were made into successful films.

okay, thanks I'll order it now.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4078 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:55 am »

Both from The Four Feathers.  Plenty of sartorial variety. 

:'( :) :-\

Tonsorial, too.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #4079 on: February 07, 2008, 10:00:26 am »
Clarissa and Mikaela (and anyone who might be interested in reading the book "The Queen's Gambit" with us):
I just checked the status of my order and it says delivery will likely be between Feb, 19th and Feb, 29th!  :o

They've given me an ETA of Feb. 15. The book was just confirmed as shipped, though, so unless it disappears en route (happened when I bought the "Candy" DVD which never arrived...) should probably be here around the date they've indicated.

Strange about your later ETA and order changes, Chrissi. I ordered mine after you did.  ???