Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3763871 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #7930 on: June 15, 2009, 06:09:47 pm »

Never heard of it either. I'm not sure I really get the whole concept, but from what I've read I can picture Heath there. Reminds me somehow of that Mexico trip with The Masses we read about.
Where have you read this bit?

It´s mentioned early on in this article. It´s mentioned in the context of Judd Mongrel speking about him and Heath having many common interests.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/a-new-restaurant-in-heath-ledgers-memory/?apage=2
Edit to my previous post. They both attended Burning Man, but not together

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #7931 on: June 15, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7932 on: June 16, 2009, 05:08:17 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Thanks Monika :-*

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7933 on: June 17, 2009, 02:25:11 am »
    SOME GOOD NEWS FINALLY ABOUT THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR PARNASSIS.....critics are happy with it....now- I

hope it gets an American Distributor......
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cannes  Film Festival on May 22, and it was met with anticipation and furrowed brows ...

At the moment of his untimely death, Heath Ledger had filmed roughly half of the scenes in which his character, Tony, appears in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

Director Terry Gilliam shut down the picture and assumed it could never be completed. "Luckily, I was surrounded by good people who told me I couldn't be so lazy," Gilliam told the press at Cannes on May 22. And a solution was found that not only "works" but, in interesting ways, enriches the story.

Gilliam called "only people who knew and loved Heath." Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell answered the call (and donated their salaries to Ledger's young daughter Matilda.)

So, what happens when you have an Australian, an American, an Englishman and an Irishman all walking though the same magic mirror? Entertaining things.

Doctor Parnassus (an absolutely wonderful Christopher Plummer) is immortal as the result of a pact made over 1000 years ago with the devil, known here as "Mr. Nick" and played with gravelly aplomb by Tom Waits. In contemporary London, the doctor, his teenage daughter Valentina (Lily Cole) and troupe members Anton (Andrew Garfield) and Percy (Verne Troyer, perhaps best known as Mini Me, in a straight role) give impromptu performances from their portable theater. Playing mostly to the poorer areas of the city, they invite patrons to walk through a slit-down-the-middle mirror that leads to fantastic and unpredictable landscapes.

Ledger played Tony as a fellow who may be helpful, may be harmful and should definitely be dead. (Given Ledger's untimely demise, much will be made of how Tony cheats death, but those scenes should be read as long-percolating fantasy and not ironic wishful thinking.)

All four Tonys sport a white suit and similar facial hair. The three adjunct Tonys take on some of Ledger's mannerisms but also bring their own flourishes to the part (one of the special effects that Law ends up with really stood out for us).

The result is an epic, frequently comical and always imaginative showdown between good and evil, played out with a slightly overbearing mix of declaiming and flailing and rescued by wonderful set pieces in the Imaginarium itself.

Although there are dark and scary moments along the way, the ending is both satisfying and happy.

Viewers who have enjoyed Gilliam's free-wheeling flights of fancy in the past will find this to be a sort of "Terry's Greatest Hits," enhanced by truly inventive special effects work. Ledger and Company's Tony is just one of several characters in an ensemble cast of very gifted performers.

Photos: Around Cannes

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7934 on: June 18, 2009, 12:58:50 am »

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #7935 on: June 18, 2009, 03:08:50 am »
Lately, to my joy (bittersweet joy),  several pics of Heath that I had not seen before have been posted. Thank you everyone!
There's no day that I don't think of him.
BbM, I swear

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7936 on: June 18, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
Those teeth in Lords of Dogtown ! I know it is for a more accurate portrayal, but I can't see Heath.  I do suspect if he had been born earlier he way well have been a free spirited hippy.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7937 on: June 18, 2009, 04:48:33 pm »
All of the honorees from film and television were present, with actors from their projects presenting them. Ang Lee ("Brokeback Mountain") was introduced by the quiet, softspoken Heath Ledger and the charming and gregarious Jake Gyllenhaal. They talked about what an honor and a privilege working on the film had been and how Ang's direction helped them grow as actors. When Heath and Jake introduced him, they both started to tear up and gave the director hugs when he reached the stage. The soft-spoken director took a moment, looked back at them with a smile, turned to the audience and said, "I don't know, guys. That felt kind of gay to me."

Talk about exploding a stereotype! We must have laughed for five solid minutes!

There was joke after joke about "Brokeback" all evening, and not a single one was derogatory or mean-spirited. That's entertainment.

http://livinginturnaround.blogspot.com/2009/06/horray-for-hollywood-memories-of.html

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7938 on: June 20, 2009, 05:05:44 am »
Have a nice weekend Heathens :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7939 on: June 21, 2009, 06:01:43 am »

A sequence from The Masses' tribute video. I just rewatched it again. The ending, when the music is cut off so abruptly, always makes an impression on me :(.