Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3699878 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Heath Heath Heath ("The Devil's Cloth: A History of Stripes!")
« Reply #8550 on: June 07, 2010, 03:33:43 pm »
That's the only Alt I could think of, and was going to mention her, but I wasn't sure how many BetterMostians would remember her (she's 50) so  thought that might require more explanation than was worth it. Was/is Carol Alt known for wearing stripes?

The "Mme" appellation suggests this Alt is married and French.

I'm no fashionista, and I don't read Vogue.  I was going by the context of "house favorites".  However, I do remember Sr. Picasso.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8551 on: June 07, 2010, 06:41:39 pm »
I'm no fashionista, and I don't read Vogue.  I was going by the context of "house favorites".  However, I do remember Sr. Picasso.

Oh, I see! I missed that connection in the sentence. Thanks.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8552 on: June 11, 2010, 09:45:08 pm »

Stripes
Certainly
ARE
Everywhere,
Looks like--

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/06/11/fashion/1247468032311/on-the-street-graphic.html

On the Street | Graphic
Stripes on New York Streets;
lines and spaces are signaling a fashion success
as summer approaches.

(By the way, you can find (80+ year old!) photographer Bill Cunningham nearly every day--usually on his 'beat' on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street (Tiffany's, Bulgari, Van Cleef and Arpels/Bergdorf's, Louis Vuitton). He is very, very friendly and polite, his accent still so Bostonian despite his more than 50 years living and working in New York, but you shouldn't linger because he is really working, and he is looking AND photographing at the people and clothes as they walk by. A real original.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cunningham_(photographer)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:29:45 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #8553 on: June 13, 2010, 03:22:38 am »

(By the way, you can find (80+ year old!) photographer Bill Cunningham nearly every day--usually on his 'beat' on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street (Tiffany's, Bulgari, Van Cleef and Arpels/Bergdorf's, Louis Vuitton). He is very, very friendly and polite, his accent still so Bostonian despite his more than 50 years living and working in New York, but you shouldn't linger because he is really working, and he is looking AND photographing at the people and clothes as they walk by. A real original.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cunningham_(photographer)

Wow, thanks, John.  I never knew about Bill Cunningham.  What a beat 57th and 5th is.  I passed through there many, many, many times growing up.  I love the stripes slide show at his NYT link.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8554 on: June 14, 2010, 02:33:55 am »

Wow, thanks, John.  I never knew about Bill Cunningham.  What a beat 57th and 5th is.  I passed through there many, many, many times growing up.  I love the stripes slide show at his NYT link.

Glad you liked it, Elle! It's part of my nabe, too. For ten years, from 1996-2006, I worked in an office on the NW corner of Madison and 60th, two doors down from Barneys New York (now that's  dangerou$!!!   ::) ) and Mr. Cunningham is still often (purposefully) loitering on that block, photographing the people (and their clothes) as they walk by.

I know this is a bit off track, but you (and others!) may also love this tidbit about the corner of 57th and 7th Avenue:

Apr 30, 2010
On the Street | Goodbye (Video)
Bill Cunningham says farewell to Carnegie Hall after living there for 60 years.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/04/30/style/1247467749052/on-the-street-goodbye.html

and

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2007/08/13/070813ta_talk_paumgarten
August 13, 2007
Roots
Home at Carnegie Hall
by Nick Paumgarten

....[Josef] Astor’s studio, with creaky wood floors, faces north; the indirect light, from a giant skylight, twenty feet overhead, is ideal for photography and painting. There is a balcony, with room for a bed, and a kitchenette. Last Wednesday, he’d arranged a dozen chairs—no one like the other—in a circle, in anticipation of a meeting, that evening, between some tenants, their lawyer (a woman named Ms. Boop), and local politicians, whose vaguely articulated sympathies they hoped to convert into tactical support. A Senegal parrot named Zoltan flew freely about the place. Astor ticked off the names of some of the studios’ former residents (Isadora Duncan, Agnes de Mille, Leonard Bernstein, Marlon Brando, Norman Mailer) and current ones (such as the ninety-five-year-old photographer Editta Sherman, known as the Duchess of Carnegie Hall, and the Times photographer Bill Cunningham, seen occasionally in the hall on his way to the showers) and evoked the days when the corridors were filled with the sounds of piano and clarinet....

Now back to Heath....it's a bit of a stretch, but I bet he would have liked skateboarding by, stopping and chatting with Bill Cunningham. For all I know, maybe he did!

"Camping Out"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8555 on: June 14, 2010, 03:15:02 pm »
Oh my, stripes are suddenly hip again - I'm a fashionista, who would have thought ;) :laugh:.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8556 on: June 14, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »
A rerun, but it fits so good ;D

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #8557 on: June 14, 2010, 03:42:38 pm »
A rerun, but it fits so good ;D

it´s new photo for me, and i´m lovin it!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8558 on: June 15, 2010, 01:36:54 pm »
I love all the stripes!  And guess what I brought you back from Scotland, John?  Striped socks!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8559 on: June 15, 2010, 02:55:10 pm »

I love all the stripes!  And guess what I brought you back from Scotland, John?  Striped socks!  ;D

Cool!!!! Thank you, Meryl!!! (And thanks for the postcards, too!   :D

"Camping Out"