Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3699497 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #8540 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:44 pm »

Ennis with Heath's tattoo, so to speak. Strange, ain't it?
yes, it is strange and it is strange that we think it´s strange.

Funny, I can´t recall ever seing the tattoo in that pic before. I think I´ve only seen it in smaller versions before.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8541 on: June 04, 2010, 07:20:46 pm »
That last photo reminds me of the stance Ennis took as he was sneaking a peek, watching Jack ride away, after he'd made him breakfast in camp.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #8542 on: June 04, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »
Found a NTM Heath pic over on DCF. BayCityJohn posted it over there and I felt free to snatch it ;D.

Please feel free to snatch my pics anytime.

I'd post them here myself, If I had 3 hands.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8543 on: June 04, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
I'd post them here myself, If I had 3 hands.

;D :D

Good one, BCJ.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8544 on: June 04, 2010, 11:26:09 pm »

I'm watching TDK for the 2nd time in a week!  All the grim news these days is putting me right in the mood for this movie.

Heath's performance really holds up over multiple viewings.  Totally amazing.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Heath Heath Heath ("The Devil's Cloth: A History of Stripes!")
« Reply #8545 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:55 am »

"The stripe is such a dynamic surface structure that it can only be covered at a run," writes Michel Pastoureau. "The stripe doesn't wait, doesn't stand still. It is in perpetual motion."

Now who  does that seem like, hmmmm??  ::)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2010/06/04/stripes-are-everywhere.aspx

Stripes Are Everywhere
Posted Friday, June 04, 2010 9:52 AM
By Troy Patterson

Left and right, everywhere you turn on the streets of New York, lines are running left to right. Style has cycled around such that shirts boasting horizontal stripes—boat-necked Breton shirts, most notably—are inescapable. Last month's Vogue  sanctified the trend with a spread of house favorites (including Ms. Moss, Mme. Alt, Sr. Picasso ... ) sporting the look, so we can expect it to go wide in a big way. In happening places, the print has already spread beyond close variations on the classic look to include cardigans, tube tops, tank dresses, maternity muumuus, and high-end baby diapers, and your pupils will soon be flicking at the print no matter where you live, unless you live in one of the very least fashion-conscious corners of our proud country, in which case I hope that you are fully enjoying either the fresh country air or the dank humidity of Capitol Hill.

Sure, why not? Capable of tingling the pupils at a hundred yards' distance, such shirts are bold but not loud, as eye-stopping as crosswalks. With shoppers eschewing plastic bags in favor of L.L. Bean totes, the nautical reference integrates the accessory, giving the wearer an air of the intrepid and also connoting a refined and active leisure (as opposed to lazy luxury). They can vibrate like op-art alerts, and they can seem to scroll hypnotically. "The stripe is such a dynamic surface structure that it can only be covered at a run," writes Michel Pastoureau. "The stripe doesn't wait, doesn't stand still. It is in perpetual motion."

Pastoureau, author of semiotic-studies bonbon titled The Devil's Cloth: A History of Stripes,  is a French scholar and archivist who has also written on the color blue, achromatic black, and the origins of heraldry. At heart a medievalist, he traces the line of the pattern's history as far back as the 13th century, when it began its run as a marker of outcasts—heretics, Jews, lepers, hangmen, whores, bastards, "cripples," serfs, and of course the archetypal jailbird. But as I once learned in a critical theory course just as my drowsy head jerked back to consciousness, social codes can reverse themselves while signs float like jetsam or something.

Pastoureau reports that naval stripes took off in England or Holland in the late 1700s as the mark of the seaman—"the simple crew member"—and spread to other countries. Eventually they made their way to the backs of gondoliers and other professionals and to those of men, women, and children frolicking at the seashore. Though The Devil's Cloth  fails to note that stripes entered the fashion canon by way of the House of Chanel, Pastoureau, like Vogue,  recognizes the importance of Picasso, "who never missed an opportunity to exhibit himself in stripes, above and below." In the author's view, the artist, dressing the part of grand avant-gardist, costumed himself as a rogue and a visionary, an "oddball zebra" consciously playing with the print's checkered past.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8546 on: June 07, 2010, 11:17:29 am »
Left and right, everywhere you turn on the streets of New York, lines are running left to right. Style has cycled around such that shirts boasting horizontal stripes—boat-necked Breton shirts, most notably—are inescapable. Last month's Vogue  sanctified the trend with a spread of house favorites (including Ms. Moss, Mme. Alt, Sr. Picasso ... )

I read this a few days ago and couldn't figure out who "Mme. Alt" is. Anyone know?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8547 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »
I read this a few days ago and couldn't figure out who "Mme. Alt" is. Anyone know?

Perhaps supermodel Carol Alt?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Alt

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8548 on: June 07, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »
I like this article, thanks John!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8549 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:43 pm »
Perhaps supermodel Carol Alt?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Alt

That's the only Alt I could think of, and was going to mention her, but I wasn't sure how many BetterMostians would remember her (she's 50) so  thought that might require more explanation than was worth it. Was/is Carol Alt known for wearing stripes?

The "Mme" appellation suggests this Alt is married and French.