Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3701091 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #8580 on: June 24, 2010, 01:17:15 am »
That's nice, Chrissi!  :-*  Yes, it does take a while to get into -- it's written in a "framing device," and the frame isn't as compelling as the actual story. If you find your copy, try again, but give it a couple of chapters. It's sometimes called the greatest novel in the English language. And while some "great novels" can be pretty hard to get through, WH actually becomes pretty compelling after a while.

It's now on my vacation-reading list. Will look for it once more. The bad thing is, that we put about two thousand books unsorted into the baking house while renovating our living room last year, and still haven't put them back ::) :P. And I had misplaced WH even before that. So it could be anywhere.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8581 on: June 26, 2010, 05:08:55 am »
Have a nice weekend Heathens :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8582 on: June 26, 2010, 09:29:56 am »
That's nice, Chrissi!  :-*  Yes, it does take a while to get into -- it's written in a "framing device," and the frame isn't as compelling as the actual story. If you find your copy, try again, but give it a couple of chapters. It's sometimes called the greatest novel in the English language. And while some "great novels" can be pretty hard to get through, WH actually becomes pretty compelling after a while.

I know it´s sometimes called the greatest novel, but I like to think of it as the most annoying novel in the English language. A beautiful lovestory for sure, but every genereration keep making the same mistakes over and over again until you pretty much can guess what happens next. Not a favorite of mine as you can tell. It´s to circular in its construct. Love the Laurence Oliver movie though. As far as the Bronte sisters go though, I think "Jane Eyre" is probably one of the best novels ever written and the Mr Rochester and Heathcliff characters share some characteristics as they are both very Byronic. I have read Jane Eyre twice and probably watched every movie adaption that´s been made :D

ooops, to bring this thread back to Heath!

one of my favorites

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8583 on: June 26, 2010, 09:50:40 am »

It's now on my vacation-reading list. Will look for it once more. The bad thing is, that we put about two thousand books unsorted into the baking house while renovating our living room last year, and still haven't put them back ::) :P. And I had misplaced WH even before that. So it could be anywhere.

Okay, Chrissie, I've got to ask:  What the heck is a "baking house"????
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8584 on: June 26, 2010, 12:41:35 pm »
Okay, Chrissie, I've got to ask:  What the heck is a "baking house"????

A baking house is a house where you bake in :).
On our property are four houses: main house, baking house, barn and a tiny one (only two rooms), which we call witch house. The main house is approx. 240 years old. In the past, the property has been a farm, a restaurant (well, think rather a tiny English pub than a real restaurant), a school, home for a group of district nurses - and a bakery. Not everything at once, obviously ;D.
The actual baking was not done in the main house, but in one of the other buildings: the baking house. The huge, professional oven is still in there. When we bought the property, everything from the bakery was still in there: dough machine, the baker's shovels, the bread forms, and so on. We use the baking house for storage now.

Cheers! :)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8585 on: June 26, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »

A baking house is a house where you bake in :).
 We use the baking house for storage now.

Wowsa, quite impressive!  And here, I use my oven for storage, LOL.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8586 on: June 28, 2010, 11:56:13 am »
So have any of you Heathens checked out Heath in Paws yet?  Following the link below, you can go to it on Hulu, and then go to the two spots I've marked, and see his few seconds.  Would take four or five minutes total, probably, and it's worth it.  

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi1874462489/

He first appears at 41:12.

Then at 55:53.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8587 on: June 29, 2010, 02:04:29 pm »
So have any of you Heathens checked out Heath in Paws yet?  Following the link below, you can go to it on Hulu, and then go to the two spots I've marked, and see his few seconds.  Would take four or five minutes total, probably, and it's worth it.  

I got this: "The requested video can not be displayed in your region" 
 :(

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8588 on: June 29, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »
Hiya Heathens :)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #8589 on: June 29, 2010, 06:30:35 pm »

Few seconds is right!  I guess you gotta start somewhere.  (Though that film looks like a dog.)