Author Topic: Money-saving tips!  (Read 42462 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Money-saving tips!
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:42 pm »
Well, that's weird, Chrissi. Because the machines here are mostly top-loaders, but in width they look more like the front-loader picture.

Why would German and American washing machines be so different, I wonder?  ???

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2007, 06:31:46 pm »
Well, that's weird, Chrissi. Because the machines here are mostly top-loaders, but in width they look more like the front-loader picture.

Why would German and American washing machines be so different, I wonder?  ???

I don't know why they are so different, but they they look different because of the positioning of the inner basket (where you put your laundry in).
In Europe, the inner basket spins horizontally, in the US it spins vertically (like a centrifuge).
Funny thing is, in Europe the inner basket of top loaders also spins horizontally, but is positioned 90° different than in front-loaders. Therefore top-loaders have less width, but more depth.

I'm sure we all can safe much money with our new knowledge about washing machines  ;)  :laugh:

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2007, 09:37:03 pm »
Chrissi, I have no personal experience with them, but I've always been told by my coworkers that German washing machines use much hotter water than ours do, close to boiling, and that the machine itself heats the hot water up to near the boiling point. That would certainly be another difference. Perhaps the cover helps insulate the machine so that the water does not cool down too much during the washing cycle? Or to be able to put items on top of the machine so that they won't get too hot themselves?

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2007, 01:11:27 am »
But I still don't see why it should make any difference in regard to the detergent?

The top loader powder is more concentrated and produces more suds. That's why the manufacturer does not recommend it for front loader machines, because too many suds in a front loader can stuff-up the works.

Because front and top loader powders come in the same size box and are the same price, and because the top loader powder is more concentrated than the front loader powder, by using the top loader powder in a front loader machine, you can get away with using only half the recommended powder and, therefore, getting double the amount of washes from the same amount of powder.

And Fritz makes a very valid point about water temperature. I recommend using a bona fide cold wash powder, with all the savings that attracts. I have been using cold water wash for years and my wash is always very clean.

Unless you work in coal mine, it is most likely that your clothes do not need the longest, most powerful wash your washing machine provides. I always use the briefest wash cycle (I'm an office worker - my clothes never really get "dirty" as such) with all the associated savings that attracts.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2007, 11:01:02 am »
In the UK you very rarely get a top loader washing machine.. reason is space - cos my washing maching for example sits in my kitchen - if it was top loader I couldn't have workspace above it - with a side loader it can. I'd say most family kitchens in the US are a hella lot bigger than the Euro counterparts - s this allows them to have toploaders without too much of a problem - also a lot of US homes have utility rooms for their washer and dryers - which is something that a lot of homes here don't - I certainly don't.

so there is not different washing powder sold in shops here - simply cos there is no need to.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:51:06 am by Kelda »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2007, 11:35:50 pm »
I bought a new washer/dryer set a few months ago. (after using the old set that was left here when I bought the house until they both gave out) I wanted a front loading washer but only got a cheaper set (top loader) because I plan to leave them here when I sell the house in the next 5 years.

Most of the front loaders here are HUGE and PRICEY. I would have spent a lot more even for the smallest model.

My mother is from Europe and we talk about this a lot. And I'm sorry but I think it is true of many but not all. It seems some Americans are never satisfied. Houses aren't big enough, cars aren't big enough. It's always more more more. I own a smaller two bedroom house with a yard and I think "I never wanted even this!"

And back to the washer. I never use as much laundry soap as they recommend. And when it's so hot as it is now, I hang my laundry to air dry. That's free.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2007, 11:38:10 pm »
Oh and water temperature. My mother uses nothing but cold and always has. She also has never had a dryer. Ever.

I admit to usually using warm but I probably should rethink that.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2007, 09:50:20 am »
And back to the washer. I never use as much laundry soap as they recommend. And when it's so hot as it is now, I hang my laundry to air dry. That's free.

Absolutely! I looove clothes dried in the sunshine and open air. They have such a lovely clean smell.  :D

I had a dryer for years but very rarely used it and finally gave it away.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2007, 10:01:36 am »
I'd say most family kitchens in the US are a hella lot bigger than the Euro counterparts - s this allows them to have toploaders without too much of a problem - also a lot of US homes have utility rooms for their washer and dryers - which is something that a lot of homes here don't - I certainly don't.

I don't know the size of the average Euro kitchen, but you are probably right. The average square footage per person in a U.S. home has doubled in the past 50 years.

I don't think I've ever seen a home here with laundry appliances are in the kitchen. In older homes, they're in the basement. In fancy newer homes, they're in a utility room on the main floor or even upstairs near the bedrooms. In apartments, they're either in some communal area or, if the apartment has it's own, in a closet in the hall of something.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2007, 01:29:39 pm »
One thing to remember too, is that dryers in particular are very simple machines (a rotating drum with a belt) and therefore very easy to fix!

That's another way to save money — fix/repair yourself if you can.  When you open something up, you realize how simple it is at the core (surface bells & whistles aside).  If it's something you can't fix, at least you're closer to a diagnosis for the repairman.

Keeps appliances out of the landfills too!