Author Topic: Money-saving tips!  (Read 42168 times)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Money-saving tips!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2007, 08:06:27 pm »
I can't fix ANYTHING. I know people who can male and female but not me.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2007, 10:52:44 pm »
With regard to front-load washing machines, this is how I understand it:

Front-load washing machines use less water, which makes them more energy efficient.  Laundry detergent specifically made for front-load washers produces less suds, and that's why it's recommended by the manufacturer.  In other words, since less water is used to clean the clothes, all of the suds may not get rinsed out if you're using regular laundry detergent (the kind used with top-load washers).  But you probably can use less of the regular detergent (as Kerry pointed out) and get around buying the front-load detergent.

We purchased an LG front-load washer a couple of months ago, and I think it's great.  It uses very little water to clean the clothes.  I use Tide "he" (high efficiency) laundry detergent and the bottle lasts a very long time (even when using the recommended amount of detergent).

The only drawback I've found with my front-load is that I can't open the door to add anything to the load once it's started, so that spare sock that typically turns up has to wait till the next load.  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2007, 08:05:22 am »
The only drawback I've found with my front-load is that I can't open the door to add anything to the load once it's started, so that spare sock that typically turns up has to wait till the next load.  :)

Fran, you can slip that renegade sock into the wash by completely turning off the washer. Once the electricity has been disconnected, you will be able to open the door. Then start the wash anew, from the beginning of the cycle. It's advisable that you only do this, however, at the beginning of the wash, before the washer fills with water, for obvious reasons!  ::)

Here in Oz, we have a star rating system, whereby all appliances are given  stars for fuel efficiency, etc. The more stars on the label, the more fuel efficient the appliance is.

When my old top loader died recently, I bought a new front loader for $520. Because it had a high star rating (principally gauged on water consumption with washers, I believe), Sydney Water (the entity that provides water to the Sydney area) offered a $150 rebate off all purchases. How that works is that I paid $520 to the store and they gave me a rebate form to fill out, which I posted to Sydney Water. A couple of weeks later, I got a $150 cheque in the post, meaning I only paid $370 for my beautiful new washer! No strings attached. Cool! It is a straight forward incentive from Sydney Water, to encourage people to do the right thing, environmentally!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 12:20:19 pm »
Kerry, That is a great deal on a front loader. They are not that reasonable in the U.S. They do save a ton of water and that is one reason I feel guilty not getting one. I do try to run full loads though.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2007, 12:48:44 pm »
Fran, you can slip that renegade sock into the wash by completely turning off the washer. Once the electricity has been disconnected, you will be able to open the door. Then start the wash anew, from the beginning of the cycle. It's advisable that you only do this, however, at the beginning of the wash, before the washer fills with water, for obvious reasons!  ::) 

Kerry, I'll keep this in mind, but I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to try it.  :)

Congrats on your energy-savings rebate.  Here in the States, all I got was what amounted to free delivery from Home Depot.  But still, it was better than nothing.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2007, 01:26:47 pm »
The front-loaders haven't yet caught on in the US, and are still expensive.  A washer/dryer pair can easily top $1000.

Also, the early front-loaders didn't drain well, and had mildew problems.

They are easier on your clothes than the top-loaders, too.  I think the spin cycle is somewhat gentler. 

I always use cold water with very good results.  I always use liquid detergent; I think it dissolves better in cold water. 

A friend of mine in Germany had an interesting contraption:  a washer/dryer all-in-one!  It washes, and then dries the same load!  Great if you have a small space, or no outdoor space.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2007, 01:44:30 pm »
Kerry, I'll keep this in mind, but I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to try it.  :)

There's nothing to be brave about it  ;), only careful  ;D. I do it some times, no probs as long as the water isn't up to the door/opening.
A few times, I happened to choose the wrong washing program, the one which doesn't empty the water at the end of the program and I opened it without looking  - and had the water all over my floor  >:(.

A friend of mine in Germany had an interesting contraption:  a washer/dryer all-in-one!  It washes, and then dries the same load!  Great if you have a small space, or no outdoor space.

I never had one, they are quite expensive. But a great idea, isn't it?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2007, 01:57:46 pm »
There's nothing to be brave about it  ;), only careful  ;D. I do it some times, no probs as long as the water isn't up to the door/opening.
A few times, I happened to choose the wrong washing program, the one which doesn't empty the water at the end of the program and I opened it without looking  - and had the water all over my floor  >:(.

I'll stick with beans a top-loader.  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 02:16:16 pm »
I'll stick with beans a top-loader.  ;D

;D

Remember the days when your sons were little and shared the bathtub? The glut(?) (flooding?) you get from an accidentally opened front-loader isn't worth than what two little ones do with your bathroom  ;D.

My parents always had top-loaders and when I was a child, I always enjoyed to sit in front of my aunt's front-loader and watch the clothes circle for a while  :laugh:. And my cat did so sometimes, too  ;D.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2007, 02:37:56 pm »
I always enjoyed to sit in front of my aunt's front-loader and watch the clothes circle for a while  :laugh:. And my cat did so sometimes, too  ;D.

Your cat circled for a while in the front loader, too? Wow, Chrissi, you must have been a mischievous child!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: