Author Topic: Storm of Shadows - by Neuontz  (Read 10959 times)

mvansand76

Storm of Shadows - by Neuontz
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:44:50 am »

This story just started, and there is only one chapter so far, but it's a quite interesting premise:

This is what's on the first entry on her livejournal:

Fic: "Storm of Shadows" (J/E) by neuontz
Title: Storm of Shadows
Author: neuontz
Pairing: Ennis/Jack
Rating: R
Category: This is an AU wild west/outlaw-type fic.
Disclaimer: The characters Ennis and Jack are the property of Annie Proulx. I’m making no money and intend no copyright infringement.

Notes: I got the idea for this fic last year in early September, when I came across a pic someone posted of a rangy Heath Ledger with a cigarette in his mouth and an “I dare ya” look in his eye. I just had to take a stab at writing an Ennis like that.

I don’t do warnings well; one reason is I’m trying to develop a sense of warning in the fic itself as I build up to the end, and everyone is certainly free to bail whenever they feel uncomfortable. I’m going to try to make this fic entertaining, in my fashion, but in deference to readers who appreciate it, here’s my sincere warning: how do most outlaws end up?

This first chapter is a public entry, but the following chapters will be probably be friends-only, so if you’re not on my friend's list, let me know if you'd like to keep reading after that point. In light of recent events here, please don't share this story with anyone not on my friends list. You know the deal.

First chapter:

http://neuontz.livejournal.com/8009.html

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Storm of Shadows - by Neuontz
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 12:44:31 pm »
Yes, it's very interesting, Mel.  Very well written with a lot of subtexts that make you think, which I love. There are two chapters so far.  I believe this is the same writer who wrote "Green Eyes" which I heard about but haven't read. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:19:08 pm »
Yes, it's very interesting, Mel.  Very well written with a lot of subtexts that make you think, which I love. There are two chapters so far.  I believe this is the same writer who wrote "Green Eyes" which I heard about but haven't read. 

Marie

Yeah, I just realised that too! I haven't read Green Eyes either, I've heard about it though. I just left a message on her/his journal to ask her/him (chances are it's her, right, I'll stick with her) if it's OK that I started a thread here because I am not sure, 'cause she's friendlocked (that's gonna be a new verb soon... :laugh:) her journal.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »
Is anyone else reading this?  Chapter 4 is up and it is amazing.  I highly recommend.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:51:12 am »
Is anyone else reading this?  Chapter 4 is up and it is amazing.  I highly recommend.

Marie

I have to chime in here and say this is without a doubt one of the best BBM fan fics ever written or being written as it were. That last chapter was indescribable in its richness. I only wish I could have left an adequate comment, I am terrible at telling authors just how much their works mean to me especially a story and a chapter as good as this.

I have many fascinations with the Wheeling/Jack dynamic.

No matter what, I find it is a brave author to write this, to use this time period and write it so flawlessly it almost seems as if he or she lived there and still does. It's truly one of the best. A highly recommended read.
Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 03:26:19 am »
I still have to catch up with the last two chapters... might do that now...
 :)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:28:12 pm »
I have to chime in here and say this is without a doubt one of the best BBM fan fics ever written or being written as it were. That last chapter was indescribable in its richness. I only wish I could have left an adequate comment, I am terrible at telling authors just how much their works mean to me especially a story and a chapter as good as this.

I have many fascinations with the Wheeling/Jack dynamic.

No matter what, I find it is a brave author to write this, to use this time period and write it so flawlessly it almost seems as if he or she lived there and still does. It's truly one of the best. A highly recommended read.
"Richness" is a very good description!  And there are so many fascinating dynamics in this story - it keeps you thinking long after you've stopped reading.  I agree about the authenticity - in fact, I mentioned to the author that she must have lived in the Wild West in a previous life.   :)

I still have to catch up with the last two chapters... might do that now...
 :)

I'll tell you what a very wise person recently told me.  GO.READ.NOW.    ;)

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 02:36:39 pm »

I'll tell you what a very wise person recently told me.  GO.READ.NOW.    ;)

Marie

LOL! Welllllll, through the excruciating pain I was able to clear my head to read this and I loved it, especially how the characters are built and the Jack and Ennis are so different from canon Jack and Ennis, and I seem to enjoy that more lately. That 'scene' in the brothel was hot, they really could've just gotten rid of the girls, couldn't they? LOL.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:25:43 pm »

.   I am so upset.  I lost her friending when I had a glitch at livejournal, and have had to ask everyone I read to refriend me.  I cant get in...please dear girl if you read this ....refriend me so I can read the rest of your story...        and its wonderful to have you back with us..I loved your first story as you know...and i am sure this will be as good.  Janice.....open open open    ;D

Beautiful mind

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:03:28 pm »
try emailing her at [email protected] and she shoudl get a notification.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”