Author Topic: Dealing with young Kids & teenagers (A thread not just for parents!)  (Read 12240 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What do we all do for a living?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 07:33:04 pm »
And PLEASE don't ever make children suck on soap. That was one of the cruelest things parents could do to their children. It borders on child abuse in my opinion. If a child cusses, a time out in the corner is probably sufficient, don't you think? There's really no need to stick a bar of soap in their mouth or rub liquid soap in it, and then make them sit there for 15 or 20 minutes and taste the soap in their mouths without even one drink of water. I'll never forget that as long as I live.  :P

I'm hoping these terrible traditions from 30 and 40 years ago are finally gone for good. I would have gladly taken several swats from my daddy's belt rather than taste soap for 20 minutes. But neither act accomplishes anything good, does it?  :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:16:54 pm »
Wow, David, so you were one of those kids, hunh? I'd heard that some American parents did that to their kids, but I wasn't sure whether to believe it. Never heard of that being done in Europe, whereas for instance when I was a kid (40 to 25 years ago), it was common for parents to slap their kids (on the legs/ bottom/ face)... and my parents even had a whip!

I have heard that there is a law in the uk against hitting your own kids. And I also have a cousin who often got beaten up (there's no other word) by his dad and he thinks now that it wasn't such a bad thing to do; and a friend whose dad never touched him and now he wishes his dad had (thinks dad was too soft!!). Whereas I got a few slappings (with red marks on my legs), and am not sure I have forgiven my parents yet. Just goes to show...

Katherine: I agree that your kids (like anyone else) can definitely bring out the worst in you. But it will never be seen as an excuse, because as a parent you are supposed to be in control of yourself and everything else, and that is SO unfair for people to think so, because parents are human beings like everybody else. And those of you who'd be tempted to say: "yeah well, you shouldn't have kids then... I don't have any, because I know better"; I bet you're still happy that some so called 'useless' people had kids and gave you someone to love, hey  ;)?
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
And what do You all think of physical discipline?

There has been some talk about this in other theads.

I don't have any kids. I have a dog though, and occasionally he acts like a child. He does naughty things and every once in awhile I'm tempted to swat his ass with a roll of newspaper. But I don't do it. I've never hit my dog thus far. Yell at him, yes. Hit him, no. I believe hitting and paddling accomplish NOTHING.

Back when I was a child, it was a common custom to hit children, and I got my fair share of swattings. My mother used to wash my mouth out with soap too if I was caught lying or saying a swear word. When I was around 10, they developed liquid hand soap and my mother used that on me. She'd rub the roof of my mouth with the soap so I couldn't get it out. That was a strange custom wasn't it? And it didn't work either. I still swear like a drunken sailor.

As long as a child KNOWS his or her parent is truly displeased with him or her, he or she will remember this. A child naturally wants to please his or her parents. The show of displeasure is sufficient punishment in my opinion.  :)

And PLEASE don't ever make children suck on soap. That was one of the cruelest things parents could do to their children. It borders on child abuse in my opinion. If a child cusses, a time out in the corner is probably sufficient, don't you think? There's really no need to stick a bar of soap in their mouth or rub liquid soap in it, and then make them sit there for 15 or 20 minutes and taste the soap in their mouths without even one drink of water. I'll never forget that as long as I live.  :P

I'm hoping these terrible traditions from 30 and 40 years ago are finally gone for good. I would have gladly taken several swats from my daddy's belt rather than taste soap for 20 minutes. But neither act accomplishes anything good, does it?  :'(

Wow, David, so you were one of those kids, hunh? I'd heard that some American parents did that to their kids, but I wasn't sure whether to believe it. Never heard of that being done in Europe, whereas for instance when I was a kid (40 to 25 years ago), it was common for parents to slap their kids (on the legs/ bottom/ face)... and my parents even had a whip!

I have heard that there is a law in the uk against hitting your own kids. And I also have a cousin who often got beaten up (there's no other word) by his dad and he thinks now that it wasn't such a bad thing to do; and a friend whose dad never touched him and now he wishes his dad had (thinks dad was too soft!!). Whereas I got a few slappings (with red marks on my legs), and am not sure I have forgiven my parents yet. Just goes to show...

Katherine: I agree that your kids (like anyone else) can definitely bring out the worst in you. But it will never be seen as an excuse, because as a parent you are supposed to be in control of yourself and everything else, and that is SO unfair for people to think so, because parents are human beings like everybody else. And those of you who'd be tempted to say: "yeah well, you shouldn't have kids then... I don't have any, because I know better"; I bet you're still happy that some so called 'useless' people had kids and gave you someone to love, hey  ;)?

I think it can & does work - but there is of course a time place and situation for it.

It certainly never did me any harm although by the time I was about 9 my Mum had stopped with the slap on the bum to some type of other punichment - no tv, no pudding etc etc. That was more effective for me at that age. Although I was a faily good child even if I do say so myself!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 09:53:43 am »

When I went to school in the 50s and 60s, it was common practice in Australia for the male teachers to carry a cane with them wherever they went. This was a menacing looking length of thin bamboo-like cane (much thinner than a walking stick), about 90cm (3ft) long. If they came across a school boy misbehaving, they would order him to stretch out his arm with his palm facing upward, and give him "six of the best" across his palm with the cane. It stung like the billy-oh but I rarely got the cane 'cause I was such a little goodie-two-shoes when I was at school!  ;)   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:47:50 pm »
When I went to school in the 50s and 60s, it was common practice in Australia for the male teachers to carry a cane with them wherever they went. This was a menacing looking length of thin bamboo-like cane (much thinner than a walking stick), about 90cm (3ft) long. If they came across a school boy misbehaving, they would order him to stretch out his arm with his palm facing upward, and give him "six of the best" across his palm with the cane. It stung like the billy-oh but I rarely got the cane 'cause I was such a little goodie-two-shoes when I was at school!  ;)   :D

The nuns carried a similar cane back in Catholic school. Actually it was one of those pointing sticks, but they found other uses for it besides pointing at the alphabet letters above the chalkboard. The nuns and priests would give us one firm swat over the tops of our hands if we were caught talking, daydreaming, etc. It hurt like white fire. Oh and those pointed nun's shoes were another near lethal weapon. A swift kick on the ankle with one of those would get anyone's attention. OUCH!!  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:52:13 pm »
Kelda or Melissa -

Do you think maybe we should start a new topic? Somehow this thread has gone very OT and I think it's my fault.  :(

I have a peculiar talent of making threads go OT and I think I've done it again. 

What do you think? Maybe you could create a new topic and merge these OT posts into it. Because tasting soap and getting swatted has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we do for a living, does it?  ???

Sorry about that.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Split and merged.. I think!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 09:43:53 am »
The nuns carried a similar cane back in Catholic school. Actually it was one of those pointing sticks, but they found other uses for it besides pointing at the alphabet letters above the chalkboard. The nuns and priests would give us one firm swat over the tops of our hands if we were caught talking, daydreaming, etc. It hurt like white fire. Oh and those pointed nun's shoes were another near lethal weapon. A swift kick on the ankle with one of those would get anyone's attention. OUCH!!  >:(

Haha  :laugh: the way you describe the nuns' shoes, David, they remind me of the Wicked Witch of the West's shoes in The Wizard of Oz! Did your nuns wear bright, striped stockings, too!  ::)   ;)   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Dealing with young Kids & teenagers (A thread not just for parents!)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 07:24:32 pm »
I was in the kitchen making cabbage rolls and I had to prescribe a time-out for myself! Now I'm in my bedroom, it's so serene, surfing BetterMost. My son was just goofing off, blabbering, singing snippets of songs, taking stuff out of the fridge, and blowing off steam. Pretty soon, I realized my nerves were completely shot!!

Earlier he wanted to go shop for clothes, so Ms. Pocketbook...me...agreed to go with him. But not before he cleaned up the area directly in front of the front door, which looked like an extension of his bedroom. I would not have the courage to open the front door if anybody rang!! My son's reply after just goofing off for 30 minutes was to tell me to tell him when we would leave for the clothing store, so he could clean everything up 30 seconds before that. I hit the roof and said, that's it, I'm not going with you. Go by yourself. So, then he got his guitar and started playing "Where do the children play?" by Cat Stevens, singing like, well, Cat Stevens. Even though he melted my heart, I couldn't resist asking him to add a chorus saying "Where do the adults play?"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Dealing with young Kids & teenagers (A thread not just for parents!)
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 07:28:18 am »
I was in the kitchen making cabbage rolls and I had to prescribe a time-out for myself! Now I'm in my bedroom, it's so serene, surfing BetterMost. My son was just goofing off, blabbering, singing snippets of songs, taking stuff out of the fridge, and blowing off steam. Pretty soon, I realized my nerves were completely shot!!

Earlier he wanted to go shop for clothes, so Ms. Pocketbook...me...agreed to go with him. But not before he cleaned up the area directly in front of the front door, which looked like an extension of his bedroom. I would not have the courage to open the front door if anybody rang!! My son's reply after just goofing off for 30 minutes was to tell me to tell him when we would leave for the clothing store, so he could clean everything up 30 seconds before that. I hit the roof and said, that's it, I'm not going with you. Go by yourself. So, then he got his guitar and started playing "Where do the children play?" by Cat Stevens, singing like, well, Cat Stevens. Even though he melted my heart, I couldn't resist asking him to add a chorus saying "Where do the adults play?"

:laugh: