Author Topic: And the Winner Is... Homophobia? (Los Angeles Times)  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
And the Winner Is... Homophobia? (Los Angeles Times)
« on: March 06, 2006, 10:17:38 pm »
Curtis' fury was the same thing I saw on lots of faces of academy voters when I asked them what film they chose for best pic. Most of the non-"Brokeback" respondees were obviously anti-"Brokeback" because, before they revealed that they opted for "Crash" or "Good Night, and Good Luck," they began their response huffily, saying, "Well, I'm not voting for 'Brokeback'!" No doubt some of them meant that they didn't feel the film was up to its hype, but it was obvious as heck that others had a problem with the whole gay thing.

Perhaps I've deluded myself so far thinking that those folks can't be homophobes. I just kept telling myself that they're probably thinking, "Oh, enough with all these gay persecution movies already!" But when you hear similar sentiment about a glut of Jewish persecution films, it doesn't seem to matter in the Oscar results. "Schindler's List," "Life is Beautiful" and "Chariots of Fire" still win. But, of course, many gay persecution films have claimed top Oscars too, like "Philadelphia" and "Boys Don't Cry," so maybe it's unfair to think the worst.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2006/03/and_the_winner_.html
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming