Author Topic: Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!  (Read 18343 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Reminiscing....come take a stroll down memory lane!
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 11:33:27 pm »
I still remember what a big deal it was in 1964 to stand on the sidewalk and watch the color TVs in the store window! 

It was 1966 before we got one at our house.  And TVs then were big pieces of furniture with these decorative wood ( or simulated wood) cabinets.   Teddy and I  would lay on the floor on big pillows and were glued to the TV , especially on Sundays when Disney was on because the opening of the show splashed all that color across the screen and then again on Thursday nights when Star Trek was on.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 11:34:34 pm »
Do you all remember the cinnamon tooth picks? Maybe this was something we only did in Indiana. They sold little bottles of cinnamon liquid at the drug store and we would soak toothpicks in it. Then we would bring them to school the next day. I remember once I tasted a little bit of that cinnamon liquid and it nearly set my mouth on fire!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Did you all make friendship bracelets when you were in school? I had a HUGE box of colored beads of all different colors, shapes and sizes. I made friendship bracelets for all my friends at school and around the neighborhood.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 11:36:09 pm »
I still remember what a big deal it was in 1964 to stand on the sidewalk and watch the color TVs in the store window! 

It was 1966 before we got one at our house.  And TVs then were big pieces of furniture with these decorative wood ( or simulated wood) cabinets.   Teddy and I  would lay on the floor on big pillows and were glued to the TV , especially on Sundays when Disney was on because the opening of the show splashed all that color across the screen and then again on Thursday nights when Star Trek was on.

You got your first color TV in 1966 Dottie?? We didn't get our first color TV until New Years Eve of 1969!  >:(

You were lucky!!  :D

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 11:39:43 pm »
Do you all remember the cinnamon tooth picks? Maybe this was something we only did in Indiana. They sold little bottles of cinnamon liquid at the drug store and we would soak toothpicks in it. Then we would bring them to school the next day. I remember once I tasted a little bit of that cinnamon liquid and it nearly set my mouth on fire!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Did you all make friendship bracelets when you were in school? I had a HUGE box of colored beads of all different colors, shapes and sizes. I made friendship bracelets for all my friends at school and around the neighborhood.  :D

I made friendship bracelets too!  We made ours out of macrame' , my Mom took a class at the ladies club at the church and she taught me.  She use to buy all this colored hemp and wood and glass beads,  she made hanging plant holders and necklaces and belts and bags.  She was really good at it, sold lots things she made at the church bazaar.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 11:46:07 pm »
Talking about those friendship bracelets reminded me of chewing gum wrapper chains---did ya'll make those? I had a 10-12 foot one draped over the mirror in my bedroom. Whose posters did you have up in your room?

We didn't have cinnamon toothpicks, and we never had a color TV while I was living at home. Or a remote control. The games look fun, but my gran's dad had been a drunken gambler who gambled away all the money they'd saved for the dentist---so---she wouldn't let me play any games that used dice!! That was an odd thought process. I played them when I went to a friend's house. And I could have games with spinners.  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:20 am »
Talking about those friendship bracelets reminded me of chewing gum wrapper chains---did ya'll make those? I had a 10-12 foot one draped over the mirror in my bedroom. Whose posters did you have up in your room?

We didn't have cinnamon toothpicks, and we never had a color TV while I was living at home. Or a remote control. The games look fun, but my gran's dad had been a drunken gambler who gambled away all the money they'd saved for the dentist---so---she wouldn't let me play any games that used dice!! That was an odd thought process. I played them when I went to a friend's house. And I could have games with spinners.  :P

I made chains out of pull tabs Shasta. Remember the pull tabs from coke cans? I would collect them until I had about a hundred, and then I would stick the tab through the hoop of another tab and bend it down. I kept doing this until I had a chain. Then I would take the chain and hang it in my bedroom. I had an entire curtain of pull tab chains. Sometimes I would paint the tabs with shiny metallic paint; red, blue, pink, green, purple, etc. I placed the chains in the center of my room and the "curtain" helped divide the room into two separate spaces. a bedroom area and a lounge area.  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 12:40:53 am »
I made chains out of pull tabs Shasta. Remember the pull tabs from coke cans? I would collect them until I had about a hundred, and then I would stick the tab through the hoop of another tab and bend it down. I kept doing this until I had a chain. Then I would take the chain and hang it in my bedroom. I had an entire curtain of pull tab chains. Sometimes I would paint the tabs with shiny metallic paint; red, blue, pink, green, purple, etc. I placed the chains in the center of my room and the "curtain" helped divide the room into two separate spaces. a bedroom area and a lounge area.  :D

WOW!!  ::)  That's a lot of coke can tabs!! Are they still somewhere in the house where you grew up?? Isn't it funny how kids liked their rooms to be "sections" like that? I didn't have any dividers, but I thought of different parts of the room as separate. My room was added on to the house--it was nice and big, but it had very little insulation and no heat source. Winters were the pits!! Water left in my room actually FROZE once in a while. Quilts, blankets, whatever---were piled on the bed. MAN!! It was hard to get up in the mornings.  :o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 12:47:33 am »
WOW!!  ::)  That's a lot of coke can tabs!! Are they still somewhere in the house where you grew up?? Isn't it funny how kids liked their rooms to be "sections" like that? I didn't have any dividers, but I thought of different parts of the room as separate. My room was added on to the house--it was nice and big, but it had very little insulation and no heat source. Winters were the pits!! Water left in my room actually FROZE once in a while. Quilts, blankets, whatever---were piled on the bed. MAN!! It was hard to get up in the mornings.  :o

Oh God Shasta, that sounds awful!! You poor thing!!  :'(

Yeah, I sectioned off my bedroom and I had the whole black lights, strobe lights, florescent posters, incense, flashing lights theme going on in there! I would go in my bedroom, turn off the overhead light, turn on the black lights and strobe lights and jam to Boston, Styx, Kansas, Kiss, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath on the stereo!  :D

Like I said, those were the days!!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 12:52:56 am »

Yeah, I sectioned off my bedroom and I had the whole black lights, strobe lights, florescent posters, incense, flashing lights theme going on in there! I would go in my bedroom, turn off the overhead light, turn on the black lights and strobe lights and jam to Boston, Styx, Kansas, Kiss, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath on the stereo!  :D

Like I said, those were the days!!

:)  :) ROCK ON!!!  :)  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:16 am »
Did anyone else play this game when they were a kid in the 1960's?

OMG!  I still think about Green Ghost to this day..  Both my brother and I wanted the game for Christmas, and i was the one who got it!  I felt guilty about that....  But we played with it together so its just as well.  LOL Green Ghost.