Author Topic: Michelangelo Antonioni (1912-2007)  (Read 7349 times)

moremojo

Michelangelo Antonioni (1912-2007)
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:08:09 pm »
Yesterday, on July 30, 2007 (the very day that saw the demise of another towering figure of world cinema, Ingmar Bergman), the great Italian filmmaker Michelangelo Antonioni died at his home in Rome. He was ninety-four years old.

Antonioni was the director of one of the greatest films ever made, the 1962 masterpiece L'eclisse. This and Il deserto rosso (another fine effort, from 1964) remain the only two of his works I have seen as films (as opposed to television transmissions, VHS transfers, etc). But they alone ensure his towering stature among the true artists of the cinematic medium.

Given his great age and his long poor state of health, his death now comes as no surprise. But we students of the human condition have still lost an invaluable friend and mentor.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Michelangelo Antonioni (1912-2007)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 04:13:50 pm »
I understand his work was also an inspiration to Ang Lee.

Another movie of his that was excellent was The Passenger starring Jack Nicholson.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 05:19:26 pm »
Another movie of his that was excellent was The Passenger starring Jack Nicholson.
That movie was showing the same night (Saturday, 18 February 2006) I first went to see Brokeback Mountain. It had been specially re-released many years after having been kept under wraps by Jack Nicholson. My first thought while standing in line, and noticing the poster for Antonioni's film, was: Oh man, I want to see that film! But I went into Brokeback Mountain (which I did want to see too), and after that, for a long while, no other film but Ang Lee's masterpiece could command my attention!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:34 pm »
Thanks for posting this, Scott. I'd heard of Bergman's passing but not of Antonioni's. Probably would have missed this news altogether if not for you!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:32:30 pm »
Hi gang,

Definitely a sad week for all lovers of cinema with the passing of both Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni. 

Front-Ranger is absolutely correct - around the time that Brokeback was released one of the New York Times articles or another trustworthy source had Ang Lee state in an interview that Antonioni was a major influence on his own film-making.  There are so many places in Brokeback I can barely count all of them
 where Ang Lee uses precisely Antonioni's technique of creating a significant moment or imducing a psychological response merely by the way he frames a face, divides the screen to show opposing/conflicting moods, or comments on something else in the frame by juxtaposing it with another significant object or portion of a landscape.   The Antonioni film which for me triggers the most visual associations with Brokeback is L'Aventura.

TWO examples:
1] the way Ang Lee and Rodrigo Prieto [not to forget the magnificent eyes and lenses of Rodrigo !] reveal so much about Ennis and Jack in the opening 'meeting scene' at Aguirre's trailer.  Ennis is shot full on, centered in the frame,
surrounded and hemmed in by the stark, flat, motionless background of grey wooden panels of the trailer, alternating with Jack shot against the multi-dimensional depth of windswept green fields, rustling trees and the blue sky.  The iconic final image of the film is a recapitulation of this same juxtaposition, but this time in the same frame - Ennis's flat wooden cupboard encapsulating the shrine of the shirts in the left half of the frame juxtaposed with the multi-dimensional depth of the windswept fields of grass and blue sky seen through the window on the right side of the frame.
2] the wonderful morning scene, early on Brokeback, where Ennis and his calm, docile horse tethered to a tree are captured in the left half of the frame while Jack struggles gamely with his crow-hopping Cigar Butt in the right half.

Every scene in the film shows a master film-maker at work, using techniques of European film genii in every detailed shot, precisely aligned for maximum effect without resorting to extraneous camera movement - saving camera moves for those moments of incredible significance which we've discussed in other threads.

A propos Ang Lee, it is synchronistic that Ingmar Bergman died a day earlier than Antonioni, for it is Bergman more than any other film-maker that Ang Lee identifies in interviews as the major influence on himself.  Ang Lee was enormously affected by Bergman's Virgin Spring and Lee is in point of fact interviewed and comments on the film in supplementary material in its recent Criterion Edition.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:40:02 pm by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:00:29 pm »
How serendipitous, and insightful, that you would invoke Antonioni and Brokeback Mountain together, Casey. I was most interested to come across, earlier today, the following post that I made on another thread some time ago:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,309.msg62792.html#msg62792

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:24:35 am »
I remember that post, and it brought back for me the strange sense of ennui that that scene in l'eclisse engendered. I saw most of Antonioni's movies when I was very young and, looking back, I think it actually prepared me for the many missed opportunities and timing glitches that keep people apart in their young adult lives.

I will never forget Blow-up. It was the first adult movie I ever saw, at the college campus in my hometown. David Hemmings in the role of a photographer, with Julie Christie, Twiggy, and one other person whose name I forget. It was all about the conjunction of the virtual world with the real world, wondering which is more real. The movie is certainly even more relevant today. The images in the movie had such a powerful effect on me, because of the way they were framed. I can still see them in my mind's eye. The influence on Lee is very apparent.

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 12:11:21 pm »
...with Julie Christie, Twiggy, and one other person whose name I forget.
Might you be thinking of Verushka (Veruschka von Lehndorff)? Jane Birkin and Gillian Hills also appeared in the film, participating in a suggestive scene with David Hemmings that foreshadows Malcolm McDowell's tryst with Hills and Barbara Scott in the 1971 A Clockwork Orange.

Lee, have you read the Julio Cortazar short story on which Antonioni's film was based? I have it in my collection, but have never got around to it!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:28:19 pm by Front-Ranger »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 12:29:07 pm »
How could I possibly forget Veruschka!! I sentence myself to track down that movie and watch it again several times!! Wasn't there a bad remake years later with John Travolta?

I do recall reading the story too a long time ago. I'm starting to relive my teenaged years all over again this summer...it's spooky! But I like it!! Since young people these days are listening to Led Zeppelin, the Doors, Police, etc. maybe they'll start watching all the classic French and Italian movies all over again! Wouldn't that be fantastic!! Let's have a film festival!!

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 01:03:09 pm »
Wasn't there a bad remake years later with John Travolta?
You're thinking of Blow Out (1981), where Travolta acted opposite Nancy Allen (wife to Brian De Palma, the film's director). It makes a travesty of the philosophical subtleties of Antonioni's original, but taken on its own terms, is an entertaining little movie.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 01:14:22 pm »
Thanks, Scott, for filling in the gaps in my ancient brain. The more I think about it, the more I realise that we need a film festival in Austin, Texas!! Perhaps all (or at least some) of the great directors who influenced Ang Lee to become what he is today!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:29:37 am »
I've been trying to see some of Antonioni's films once again, but I got hung up on the very first one: l'Aventurra. It starts off well, but it gets bogged down in the middle and is very long. I know that's the point of it but my filmwatching stamina is not what it once was. Monica Vitti is wonderful to look at, though.

moremojo

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 10:06:27 am »
I know that's the point of it but my filmwatching stamina is not what it once was.
I think this is part of the phenomenon of watching films via home-entertainment transfers--there are simply too many distractions from the sights and sounds on one's TV or home computer screen. Watching a film as a film (i.e., a strip of celluloid projected onto a screen) creates a feeling of immersion in the work being presented; there is a greater possibility of engagement.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 10:18:38 am »
You're right, Scott.

Altho, in my defense, I heard it was booed in Venice when it was first screened.

So, here she is--Monica Vitti!

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 10:22:28 am »
Altho, in my defense, I heard it was booed in Venice when it was first screened.
This is very true. Venice, like the Academy, can get it wrong sometimes, too.

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 10:27:11 am »
Actually, I think it was at Cannes that the film was shown and famously booed. Not sure about its exhibition at Venice and its reception there.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 10:29:52 am »
I'm sure you are right, Scott. How could the Italians boo their countryman!! What was I thinking!! More caffeine needed!!