Author Topic: Would you like to make a career switch?  (Read 9892 times)

mvansand76

Would you like to make a career switch?
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:20:42 am »

If you do or you want to help other people make some changes in their life, please discuss things here!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Would you like to make a career switch?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:17:26 pm »
*David raises his hand high in the air*

YES!!  :D

Yes, I'd like to make a career change. I was planning to go back to school this year and earn a degree in psychology but it didn't work out. I got too busy, I guess.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 11:24:10 pm »
I would like to find a career that pays actual money. As a writer, I have been published in numerous magazines and won prizes in literary contests, and yet I can't get hired to pump out ordinary old writing. Such is the plight of writers these days, of almost any kind. I got my Social Security statement the other day and noticed that I made more money one year in college, waitressing part time, than I made last year.

True, I could be more energetic about hustling for freelance gigs, so I realize part of that is my fault. And BBM's.  ::) But another big part of it is the internet.

Anyway, it's funny that I can write for respected national magazines but can't get a staff job writing press releases for a college.  ???  >:(

OK, end of rant.  :)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:49:02 am »
Me... me... pick me.. I'll take a career change... not sure to what though...

I need to work on my resume some... too, anyone want to post theirs so I can get an idea for the format (and the types of things I should include)
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:22:06 am »
Anyway, it's funny that I can write for respected national magazines but can't get a staff job writing press releases for a college.  ???  >:(

Ain't that a goddamn bitch. ...  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:28:30 am »

Irony I tell you, life is all about irony.  I guess we are supposed to be learning something.  I am
not sure what it is though...

Beautiful mind

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:44:09 am »
I guess we're learning how to be human.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Scott6373

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:56:51 am »

If you do or you want to help other people make some changes in their life, please discuss things here!

Are you offerring a career change?  LOL    ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:59:25 am »
I guess we're learning how to be human.

And then we die and the effort has gone to waste.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 01:03:49 pm »
And then we die and the effort has gone to waste.  :-\

I disagree! Maybe you ought to read the thread about "Serious Discussions on the Meaning of Life." It's an eye-opener. Anyway, any time spent learning to be human does not go to waste. About half your life is still to come! And what you learn and know is passed on to others, perhaps in a subtle way, perhaps in a huge way like Annie Proulx did. But it does add to the humanness of humankind.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 01:26:04 pm »
I disagree! Maybe you ought to read the thread about "Serious Discussions on the Meaning of Life." It's an eye-opener. Anyway, any time spent learning to be human does not go to waste. About half your life is still to come! And what you learn and know is passed on to others, perhaps in a subtle way, perhaps in a huge way like Annie Proulx did. But it does add to the humanness of humankind.

You mean I'm gonna live to be 98?  :o

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 01:29:43 pm »
Me... me... pick me.. I'll take a career change... not sure to what though...

I need to work on my resume some... too, anyone want to post theirs so I can get an idea for the format (and the types of things I should include)

Here are the basics:

Name
Address...choose a reliable address where you will always receive mail
Phone...cell and landline
Email...have something professional looking; "[email protected]" is silly and trite

Career Objective...in one sentence

Education...in reverse chronological order; include dates, honors and awards

Work experience...in reverse chronological order; include dates, highlights of your responsibilities; any significant accomplishments

You can reverse work experience and education; whichever is more impressive, put that first.

Those are the essential items. The following may or may not be relevant, depending on your situation.

Professional affiliations...societies, associations, etc. that you may belong to.
Publications
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
Honors and Awards
Grants and Contracts (if you have received any. Include specific details, dates, funder, and amount)
Relevant Skills (relevant to your career objective and not covered in education or work experience. For example, do you play an instrument?)
Language Skills (other than English). Break it down as spoken, written, and reading, and fluency in each (Ie, French: speaking, good; reading, fluent; writing, fair).

DO NOT include:

Date of Birth
Social Security Number
Religious Affiliation
Marital Status

Try to be as succinct as possible. Lots of sources say a resume should be one page, maximum. Use good quality white paper...not even cream. Use a standard font (times new roman or arial), 12 point. Don't be gimmicky.

Hope this helps!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:01:30 pm »
And do it yourself, don't rely on some "service." We've received some resumes that were created that way, and they were crap.

Also, tailor it for each job for which you are applying. And be sure to proofread it. Multiple times. Then get a friend to proofread it for you.

We received one resume that began with a "career objective" that was to get a job at a different employer. ...  :o

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 02:10:37 pm »

We received one resume that began with a "career objective" that was to get a job at a different employer. ...  :o

Oh well, at least s/he was honest!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 02:20:17 pm »
Oh well, at least s/he was honest!

More like empty-headed.

Scott6373

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 02:21:50 pm »
Doesn't anyone need an incredibly competant personal assistant, with a rapier wit, good fashion sense, and a wilingness to try new foods?  Huh?  Huh?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 02:24:53 pm »
Doesn't anyone need an incredibly competant personal assistant, with a rapier wit, good fashion sense, and a wilingness to try new foods?  Huh?  Huh?

I do! Unfortuately, I can't afford one.  :-\  ;D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 06:11:35 pm »

I agree with Lee.  Learning and intellect passed on is what humans are constantly doing.
Where it is by accident or by design..Its never lost...The only thing that we should try and do
is see that there is less bad passed on, and more good..
          The only time its lost is when it is no longer passed on.

.And yes Jeff if there is any justice in this world..you will live to be that old or more...

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 07:00:08 pm »

I agree with Lee.  Learning and intellect passed on is what humans are constantly doing.
Where it is by accident or by design..Its never lost...The only thing that we should try and do
is see that there is less bad passed on, and more good..
          The only time its lost is when it is no longer passed on.

Seems to me you guys are making two optimistic assumptions: 1) That a given person learns anything in the first place that is worth passing on; and 2) that this person has someone to pass it on to.

.And yes Jeff if there is any justice in this world..you will live to be that old or more...

Oh, gee, thanks, just what I want to be, a demented, century-old, "orphan" f-gg-t screaming out inappropriate things in the nursing home. ...  :-\  :laugh:

injest

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 10:34:19 pm »
Seems to me you guys are making two optimistic assumptions: 1) That a given person learns anything in the first place that is worth passing on; and 2) that this person has someone to pass it on to.

Oh, gee, thanks, just what I want to be, a demented, century-old, "orphan" f-gg-t screaming out inappropriate things in the nursing home. ...  :-\  :laugh:

you are in the habit of screaming out inappropriate things now or are you planning on taking it up as a hobby???

and you pass on something to everyone you come in contact with. I hate to keep quoting Mary Renault...but "The sons of dreams outlive the sons of man" what we pass on in how we treat one another carrys further than any scrap of DNA..

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 10:49:43 pm »
you are in the habit of screaming out inappropriate things now or are you planning on taking it up as a hobby???

Neither, smarty, that would come from the dementia. There is a history of Alzheimer's disease in my family.  :-\

and you pass on something to everyone you come in contact with. I hate to keep quoting Mary Renault...but "The sons of dreams outlive the sons of man" what we pass on in how we treat one another carrys further than any scrap of DNA..

You could do far worse than quote Mary Renault. A complete set of her "Greek" novels has an honored place in my library.  :) But it seems to me that quote cuts at least two ways. It reminds me of another quote, this one from Shakespeare: "The evil that men do lives after them."

injest

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 10:52:35 pm »
Neither, smarty, that would come from the dementia. There is a history of Alzheimer's disease in my family.  :-\

You could do far worse than quote Mary Renault. A complete set of her "Greek" novels has an honored place in my library.  :) But it seems to me that quote cuts at least two ways. It reminds me of another quote, this one from Shakespeare: "The evil that men do lives after them."

oops sorry, sweetie...you know I am. Didn't mean no harm.

but you don't have to worry about any evil stuff being passed on from you. I can't see any way you would have a evil bone...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 10:58:37 pm »
oops sorry, sweetie...you know I am. Didn't mean no harm.

I know, Little Darlin'.  :)  :-*

but you don't have to worry about any evil stuff being passed on from you. I can't see any way you would have a evil bone...

Another quote, this one from Jeremy Irons playing Claus von Bulow: "You have no idea."