Author Topic: First Troll Attack...  (Read 14050 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: First Troll Attack...
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 08:53:33 pm »
Was it a random troll or was he targeting the former IMDb'ers specifically?

I think it was random, and I have to also thank Fran-E who caught the messages extremely quickly, and ChefJudy who was amazing as an early warning detector.  She found a thread on IMDb by a user who essentially challenged the trolls that they couldn't stop the forum at BetterMost and she reported it to me this afternoon.  I put the moderators on yellow alert the moment she hooked me up with that message to be on the lookout, and an hour or so later, the troll was here. 

It really is a team effort, except we share the power to control our own destiny here instead of relying on overworked admins on a huge site who get around to dealing with issues when they can.  I thank everyone involved.

Also, I just tried to post and it said I had just posted and needed to wait for a few seconds. Is that new because of these dang trolls or have I just never posted so quickly before? :)

There is a 30 second wait before each post is allowed to be made.  This prevents thread jamming by automated scripts.  It has always been in place.  So it was the latter.  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 09:39:24 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 09:18:03 pm »
Cheers Phillip and everyone who took swift action in this matter!
We definitely don't want anything like the troll activity at Imdb here at Bettermost.
Great job !! ... ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 09:35:49 pm »
I think it was random, and I have to also thank Fran-E who caught the messages extremely quickly, and ChefJudy who was amazing as an early warning detector.  She found a thread on IMDb by a user who essentially challenged the trolls that they couldn't stop the forum at BetterMost and she reported it to me this afternoon.  I put the moderators on yellow alert the moment she hooked me up with that message to be on the lookout, and an hour or so later, the troll was here. 

Yay, Phillip and everyone else who helped stop the troll !!!  Way to go!  :D :D :D

It's distressing to me that BetterMost is being discussed like that over on imdb.  I hope that type of "challenge" won't turn BetterMost into a target for trolls.  As long as we have such watchful moderators it seems that we'll be perfectly safe around here.  I remember when info about BetterMost was only passed around very, very cautiously.  I understand wanting to raise the profile of BetterMost on sites like imdb in order to welcome new members here, but I wonder if the wider awareness will also be a tempting thing for trolls. 

I'm just so glad to have found this space...  :)

I never, ever spend time at imdb anymore.  It feels too tainted over there by people with ill-intentions reading and mocking the heartfelt posts of well-meaning Brokies who are really trying to understand the movie. :-\ :(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 10:12:42 pm »
 :) it looks like that thread has now been deleted on the OB - it was put up by trolls anyway so I reported it - losers >:(
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 10:25:14 pm »
Well done guys and thankyou!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 11:47:26 pm »
(((((( HUG )))))))
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 11:59:09 pm »
Missed the action.  Thanks everyone for your great work!  We will be vigilance on abusive posts.

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006, 12:08:51 am »
I think this in just incredable!!!  when the trolls were on ibdb they were reported, a couple by me personally, i copied their PM to me and sent it to admin..i got a email back saying there would be nothing done about it and that i shoulput them on ignore. well, so much for reporting abuse!!  they PM'd me with really vile stuff...sick=o

and i want to apologize...i have been so excited about Bettermost, that i have stated that it was the place to come for intellegent conversation...stupid me, i never thought about it drawing "THEM" too....i am really niave, i guess, and very very sorry....

gaylee 
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

vkm91941

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006, 12:19:35 am »
Don't you feel bad Gay you're not the only one mentioning the board on IMDb.  It's not like it's a big secret.  This was just our first and he was swiftly and efficiently delt with and it was a thing of beauty I am telling you.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2006, 12:25:38 am »
Hi Maggiesmommy:

I for one am very grateful that you wrote about Bettermost over at IMDB, otherwise I would never have found this place!  It is good if the true BBM fans can find this site, and hopefully the mods are able to keep out the cretins.  I have been enjoying many of your posts over at IMDB, I have been a BBM fan only since I first saw the movie on April 12th would you believe!  It has captured my heart.

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."