Author Topic: First Troll Attack...  (Read 13953 times)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: First Troll Attack...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2006, 12:52:51 am »
Welcome J-0156can'tyouplesaefindaneasiernametotype.  (And thankyou Gay for inviting him/her/them.)  It's a wonderful place here and we welcome your fresh perspective.  feel at home and meet the family.  hopefully you will enjoy the warmth.  Ray
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 03:12:11 am »
thanks..ok, i feel better, i was afraid i had left the barn door open..or is it the Tent flap??
i am so glad some of my posts on the other board were helpful..you never really know...
J..you are so welcome here and your questions are never shot down...we all have them and there are so many people here with just astounding insight..you will be so pleased...
I am a newby to the movie, too..never saw it in the theater..adn i am also irevacably (sp?) changed...
so, ask away...keepwatching and we'll share...
I am SO glad you're here
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline opinionista

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 07:54:03 am »
I didn't notice there was a troll. Hope it's just one incident. Thanks Phil.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:29:44 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 09:38:48 am »
and i want to apologize...i have been so excited about Bettermost, that i have stated that it was the place to come for intellegent conversation...stupid me, i never thought about it drawing "THEM" too....i am really niave, i guess, and very very sorry....

Actually, that kind of promotion about BetterMost is almost certainly not the reason the troll showed up here.  There have been threads on IMDb openly discussing BetterMost since it started back in February, and an even more recent thread has been openly advocating people come here.

First, I can only speculate the troll originated on IMDb - I don't have direct evidence of it.  Second, if he was from there, it came almost certainly as a result of a post that openly taunted/dared the trolls to try and stop the forum here.  That is much different than just discussing the forum here as a place for intelligent discussion.  So it is very, very unlikely you drew any trolls here and there is nothing to be sorry about.

Third, BTW, I don't mind this incident because, if anything, it demonstrates just how pointless it is going to be to target this system for anything.  The offensive messages were gone in less than a minute after they were first noticed, the user's IP was blocked within a half hour, and I have already filed a complaint with the administrators at binghamton.edu which got back a reply that they will investigate this further because this violates their campus acceptable use policy of Internet resources.  If this guy faces some consequences and he is part of some troll group, imagine him taking the message back to them that I don't play around.

I have no problem even contacting law enforcement and pressing charges against those that would write threatening messages.  I have done that in my prior bulletin board days, and the message gets around when mom and dad open the door and the equivalent of the late Lennie Briscoe and Ed Green are standing there asking where their precious darling is.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:48:06 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 10:41:49 am »
Phillip, you're Awsome!
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 12:33:46 pm »
Sheriff Phil!   ;)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 02:45:54 pm »
A thousand thank yous
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2006, 03:02:43 pm »

Sheriff Phil!   ;)

Oh yeah, trolls.  Don't mess around here.  We got Phillip and John on the case, and you don't even want to know what's going to happen to you if you pi$$ them off!!

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2006, 03:38:45 pm »
Just wondering: What monicker this troll person used? I'd like to know in case he/she decides to find a way to come back, so I can recognize it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2006, 07:13:10 pm »
way to go phil !
at least I dont feel helpless here as I do on IMDB when the vile trolls start attacking.
But I SHALL not be mentioning about bettermost on imdb now.