Author Topic: What do you think of Spanking?  (Read 15059 times)

Scott6373

Re: What do you think of Spanking?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 09:04:24 am »
I am totally in favor of "spanking"...both for unruly children and adults...in fact, there should be spanking stations located in every town...when someone get's out of line, a professional spanker would take care of that little issue right then and there.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 09:39:37 am »
Corporal punishment is not for the child, it's for the parent.  It has been demonstrated conclusively that P.E.T. (Parent-effectiveness training, or the "logical consequences" method of child discipline) is effective.  The problem with using a logical consequences model is that it requires maturity and persistence on the part of a parent.  Hitting a kid is easy, particularly when you are angry and want to.  And that is precisely when it is the worst thing to do.

P.E.T.  is a behavior model in which children are rewarded for positive behavior with desirable activities (usually with the parent) and punished with withdrawal of rewards.  Like "clean up your room" gets an hour of a favorite show and a trip to the ice cream shop after dinner.  No clean up room, no ice cream, no tv.  It took about 2 1/2 weeks of using a chart with check-off points on it for desired behavior (clean up room, do homework, go to bed on time) before my stepson, who did have behavioral problems related to his mother's sudden death and two years of ensuing court battles, was a model child.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:58:59 pm »
Corporal punishment is not for the child, it's for the parent.  It has been demonstrated conclusively that P.E.T. (Parent-effectiveness training, or the "logical consequences" method of child discipline) is effective.  The problem with using a logical consequences model is that it requires maturity and persistence on the part of a parent.  Hitting a kid is easy, particularly when you are angry and want to.  And that is precisely when it is the worst thing to do.

P.E.T.  is a behavior model in which children are rewarded for positive behavior with desirable activities (usually with the parent) and punished with withdrawal of rewards.  Like "clean up your room" gets an hour of a favorite show and a trip to the ice cream shop after dinner.  No clean up room, no ice cream, no tv.  It took about 2 1/2 weeks of using a chart with check-off points on it for desired behavior (clean up room, do homework, go to bed on time) before my stepson, who did have behavioral problems related to his mother's sudden death and two years of ensuing court battles, was a model child.

If you'll excuse me, this method assumes a middle income family and also that

1) the child has a close relationship with the parents
2) that the child has 'little privileges' to begin with

In families such as I was raised, we kids cleaned up our rooms period.  That was one of the many labors performed around the house for the privilege of living with our parents gratis.  This wasn't ever an option.

Dessert taken away as a punishment?  What dessert?  A dessert was a treat we got maybe once or twice a year.

Favorite TV shows?  We had one TV and our parents controlled the set from sunup to sundown.  We had to ask to even watch a show to begin with.

Outings with the family?  I guess if you call accompanying your parents shopping for groceries or hardware an 'outing'.  We didn't do movies except rarely, and only when my parents wanted/could afford to go.  If they didn't, we didn't go and we rarely ever went.  I think I could count on the fingers of one hand the times we went to the movies as a family and still have fingers left over.

We kids did kid things, parents did grown up things.  The only things we did together was take vacations every summer.

Think of Jack or Ennis as children growing up.  What privileges did they have to lose?

moremojo

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 09:12:47 pm »
If you'll excuse me, this method assumes a middle income family and also that

1) the child has a close relationship with the parents
2) that the child has 'little privileges' to begin with

In families such as I was raised, we kids cleaned up our rooms period.  That was one of the many labors performed around the house for the privilege of living with our parents gratis.  This wasn't ever an option.

Dessert taken away as a punishment?  What dessert?  A dessert was a treat we got maybe once or twice a year.

Favorite TV shows?  We had one TV and our parents controlled the set from sunup to sundown.  We had to ask to even watch a show to begin with.

Outings with the family?  I guess if you call accompanying your parents shopping for groceries or hardware an 'outing'.  We didn't do movies except rarely, and only when my parents wanted/could afford to go.  If they didn't, we didn't go and we rarely ever went.  I think I could count on the fingers of one hand the times we went to the movies as a family and still have fingers left over.

We kids did kid things, parents did grown up things.  The only things we did together was take vacations every summer.

Think of Jack or Ennis as children growing up.  What privileges did they have to lose?
Shit, that's hard. :-\

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:18:45 pm »
I am totally in favor of "spanking"...both for unruly children and adults...in fact, there should be spanking stations located in every town...when someone get's out of line, a professional spanker would take care of that little issue right then and there.

You are so silly/!!!!!!!             :laugh:      :laugh:       :laugh:

Bend over........you can be first

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 02:46:21 pm »
OK, I just went with "parental choice with benefits and drawbacks."

Yes, I was spanked as a child, but not regularly and not often.

Skimming through the thread, I see lots of interesting points.

Louise's report on Parent Effectiveness Training is very interesting, but the first thought that popped into my head is, What do you do with a very young child who does something potentially dangerous--like get into the medicine cabinet? I got spanked for something like that once. I wasn't even in school yet. I climbed up on a chair in the kitchen to go after something I saw on shelf in the cupboard, the package of yummy, orange-tasting chewing gum--which actually was a sore-throat remedy called Aspergum (do they still make that stuff?). That probably wouldn't have killed me, but after that spanking, did I ever go after something like that again? Hell, no.

I'd rule out belts and switches, though. To me that doesn't sound like spanking, that sounds like beating (OK, so maybe it's a fine line). My mother used her hand, and, on occasion, a small wooden paddle, a little smaller than a ping pong paddle, that came form a toy we had in my childhood--a rubber ball attached by a rubber band to the wooden paddle, the idea being you kept bouncing the ball off the paddle (do they still make those things?).

As for Scott's suggestion, I've long felt that there are plenty of young thugs running around--and quite a few older ones--who would benefit more from a public flogging than they would from sitting in jail, where they just learn even worse villainy than what put them behind bars in the first place.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 03:05:33 pm »

Ok I came here to give my opinion of "What did i think of Jeff Wrangler"  Thats the way the bump read...lol     :-*

But now that im here.  I have already given my opinion... But to answer your questions Jeff.  Yes to both of them.. They do still

make Aspergum, and those paddle ball sets...

I still believe that with certain children a good hard swat or two on the behind is a valuable tool, of drawing their attention,

when the talking is not getting the job done...I dont believe in using things to hit them with that would leave a mark of any kind.

Believe me when i tell you I know the differences between a spanking and a beating....TAKE MY WORD.  I vowed never to strike my

one of my children in anger...It was not as has been mentioned for my benefit.  I hated to do it.. They could even tell you, it was always

a last resort.  Always something they had been told repeatedly not to do...Something that would endanger them if they continued to

do it.   So I stand by my former answer.

And as to my first thought....I approve very much of Jeff.  He is a fine looking intelligent, and funny young man....and a wonderful

traveling companion.........tee hee

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 04:00:54 pm »
    And as to my first thought....I approve very much of Jeff.  He is a fine looking intelligent, and funny young man....and a wonderful

Aww. ...  ::)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:12 pm »
Aww. ...  ::)  ;D

Let me guess...it was the "young" part that you liked best  ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 05:12:40 pm »

:laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/