Author Topic: Am I the only person...  (Read 17405 times)

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
Am I the only person...
« on: May 07, 2006, 12:36:05 am »
...who gets really upset when other people assume things about this film? I'm asking this on the Tremblay section because I know you folks are quite rational and you are very dedicated to the film.

I have been fixated on this film for a long time now.  However, I get so angry when people assume things that can't possibly be real or realistic in regard to this film.  One recurring theme is when people assume to hear lines which aren't in the film and rationally wouldn't be there.  Secondly, they keep bringing up that Ennis wasn't gay (which some say is debatable, I say isn't).  Thirdly, they bring up numerous scenarios about how Jack died.

I am sick of it.  I'm tired of being angry and debating with people.  I wish I could quit by passion about this film but I can't.

I can't believe it get so irritated about these things.  Am I the only one?   :-\
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

vkm91941

Re: Am I the only person...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 12:39:30 am »
...who gets really upset when other people assume things about this film? I'm asking this on the Tremblay section because I know you folks are quite rational and you are very dedicated to the film.

I have been fixated on this film for a long time now.  However, I get so angry when people assume things that can't possibly be real or realistic in regard to this film.  One recurring theme is when people assume to hear lines which aren't in the film and rationally wouldn't be there.  Secondly, they keep bringing up that Ennis wasn't gay (which some say is debatable, I say isn't).  Thirdly, they bring up numerous scenarios about how Jack died.

I am sick of it.  I'm tired of being angry and debating with people.  I wish I could quit by passion about this film but I can't.

I can't believe it get so irritated about these things.  Am I the only one?   :-\

No, you're not alone... That whole business of the "I love you" that some are so vehment about really gets to me.  I have a brand new state of the art surround sound system and I listed at full blast, and then again with the head phone on adjusting the band width and frequency and guess what ..NO I love you... besides WE KNOW Ennis would not have EVER said it. It's only wishful thinking on the part of those viewer.... so no You're definitely not alone  :-\
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:46:35 am by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 12:41:34 am »

Hell no you are not alone!  The Jack/death thing is something that has always bugged me.....and the 'gay cowboy movie' title pisses me off too.......

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 12:47:41 am »

No, you're not alone... That whole business of the "I love you" that is some are so vehment about really gets to me.  I have a brand new state of the art surround sound system and I listed at full blast, and then again with the head phone on adjusting the band width and frequency and guess what ..NO I love you... besides WE KNOW Ennis would not have EVER said it.  so no You're definitely not alone  :-\

I am almost at the point of wanting to strangle some people because of this issue.  The whole point of Annie Proulx's story, from where I come from, is that Ennis couldn't vocalize his feelings for Jack.  Even after he died, he still couldn't do it.  The lines were never in the screenplay, Heath never talked about it in interviews.  You'd think that'd come up somehow.  And when I try to rationalize, please just go on and on about how beautiful and wonderful it is. 

I should not get so angry.  I really need to start focusing elsewhere.
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 12:56:28 am »
No, I understand what you mean, TBS. Sometimes I wish everybody would interpret the film the same way I do. I find some other people's interpretations frustrating and depressing (ahem, you know who you are!).

On the other hand, if we all agreed, what would we still have to talk about? And some of the most interesting conversations I've had here have been with people with whom I vehemently disagreed. But frankly, I'm a pretty argumentative person by nature. Or so I've been told. So I don't really get angry about it.

I have noticed people hearing lines I don't believe are really there, or interpreting motivations in ways I don't agree with. I would love, at this point, to take on anybody who contends that Ennis wasn't gay (the last time I did, it was with a gay man, and it was interesting). As for Jack's death, I still think that's extremely debatable.

There are other issues. Did Ennis know he loved Jack and that Jack loved him the whole time, or did he realize that only after Jack's death? Did Jack know Ennis loved him, despite the lack of verbal endearments? Was Ennis' big crisis in the final argument a matter of owning up to his sexuality, or fearing he was losing Jack's love? How does the book compare to the movie? Which of the characters is more appealing, and why? I could go on. There are lots of conflicting opinions on these things. But IMO, those disagreements are the fodder of many fascinating debates that force me to consider interpretations that probably never would have occured to me otherwise, and, as a result, to analyze my own opinions more closely.

I can't quit either my passion about this film, OR this website. In fact, the two passions feed each other.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 01:00:17 am »
Those who say "it isn't so" simply don't want to acknowledge that part in themselves.  We know passionately that it IS so and why should we try to convince anyone of our understanding.  we are lucky because we see it.  They are not because they don't.  Rather simple really!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:02:23 am by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 03:54:36 am »
Some say tomato, some say brussell sprout. I have had my moments of frustration over some wacky interpretations (Jack committed suicide, Lureen killed him, the sheep could talk) but, bottom line, people can think and say what they want. I don't need agreement to feel validated-well that isn't even remotely true, I do need agreement to feel validated but I'm trying to get over it. This movie means a lot to a lot of people and I gotta cut them some slack because I have some beliefs that I know would cause people to want to put me out with the sheep!

O0

Heathen

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 01:37:31 pm »
the sheep could talk

?!!!??!!? LOL. RouxB, I thought I'd heard everything, but I haven't heard THAT one!

I have some beliefs that I know would cause people to want to put me out with the sheep!

Let's hear 'em! Get a debate going! We need some new things to argue about, or we'll be back at sorry, s'alright! So are you saying you DO think the sheep could talk?

TJ

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 03:47:51 pm »
Oh, I get peeved a little, but not enough to send a hateful PM individual forum members, when people outside of the USA not only don't know much about life in Wyoming during the years from 1943 through 1983, they don't even know much about the Old West of the USA either  . . . AND . . . they PM me because they feel that they have to tell me off and call me hateful names.

I am not an expert on ranchboys or shepherds in the USA. But, I certainly have known real ranchboys and people who had sheep during my 63 plus years on earth. I have lived on farms or worked on a farm, while living in the country, and the nearest neighbor was a rancher and not a farmer.

Oh, I have personally known real old time cowboys, one of whom was a teenage friend of Will Rogers, the famous Cherokee who grew up on his father's Dog Iron Ranch in the Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 05:31:51 pm »
Secretly, I'm with you, Spark.  I get especially annoyed at those who contend that Ennis "wasn't really gay."  Yeah, OK.  And based on their "logic," Lureen really wasn't straight, either.  In her own way, she too dedicated her entire adult life to Jack, but had she not met him, she would have been with other women.   ::)

I'd *really* like to see that one laid to rest.
No more beans!