Author Topic: What's the weirdest thing you've ever bought?  (Read 15144 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What's the weirdest thing you've ever bought?
« on: August 14, 2007, 04:52:48 pm »
Look at this email I just recieved from Hammacher Schlemmer! They are encouraging me to buy a fortune telling machine, and I'm thinking about doing it too, just to find out what it does!  :laugh:

The Animated Speaking Fortune Teller.
This is the baritone-voiced animatronic fortune teller that automatically detects your presence and consults with an encased skull between his palms, or allows you to interact with onlookers when you speak through the fortune tellers mouth using a wireless microphone. The fortune tellers head is concealed in its display box behind a curtain that parts aside when motion or sound is detected in front of the tellers box. The fortune tellers wrinkled head, toothless mouth, and recessed feral eyes move in unison while he speaks, accompanied by carnival organ music. He begins with a greeting, then makes a series of movements and vocalizations while he converses with the skull, which flashes its LED eyes and moves its jaw in response. When the fortune teller is set to manual mode, a wireless microphone allows you to channel your voice through him while you remain hidden; his eyes and mouth will move as you speak. It operates either with six AA batteries (required) or with the included AC adapter. Microphone requires one 9-volt battery. 30" H x 22" W x 15" D. (12 lbs.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: What's the weirdest thing you've ever bought?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:18:53 pm »
hmmm..

probably something random off off ebay!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:26:49 pm »

It was a thing called   " A HIGHHOPPIN HOOM DORN"  I cant find a picture of one online, but we still have it.  It was one of the last

presents that my son bought my brother.  When he died we found it still in his things...We still have it...I found one on Craigs list but that

is the only other one ive found.  Sorry no picture......... :-X :-X         It was the kind of thing only a guy would buy...for another guy~~~

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:29:44 pm »

It was a thing called   " A HIGHHOPPIN HOOM DORN"  I cant find a picture of one online, but we still have it.  It was one of the last

presents that my son bought my brother.  When he died we found it still in his things...We still have it...I found one on Craigs list but that

is the only other one ive found.  Sorry no picture......... :-X :-X         It was the kind of thing only a guy would buy...for another guy~~~

A Highhoppin Hoom Dorn? What is it Jance? What did it do?

I don't think I've ever heard of one before.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 03:34:43 pm »
Once when I was about 10 years old, I saw an ad for Sea Monkeys and I sent away for them. They looked like little people in the ad, but when they arrived and I dropped the eggs in the water they were only brine shrimp.  >:(

I also saw a castle for sale in the back of a comic book. It said it was a huge play castle you could build in your back yard. I sent away for it. When it arrived it was just a thin sheet of plastic with a picture of a castle on the front of it and a hole for the door.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »
heh - is that THE actual ad david!?

It does say its a caricture!!!!! :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:45:20 pm »
Look at this email I just recieved from Hammacher Schlemmer! They are encouraging me to buy a fortune telling machine, and I'm thinking about doing it too, just to find out what it does!  :laugh:

The Animated Speaking Fortune Teller.
This is the baritone-voiced animatronic fortune teller that automatically detects your presence and consults with an encased skull between his palms, or allows you to interact with onlookers when you speak through the fortune tellers mouth using a wireless microphone. The fortune tellers head is concealed in its display box behind a curtain that parts aside when motion or sound is detected in front of the tellers box. The fortune tellers wrinkled head, toothless mouth, and recessed feral eyes move in unison while he speaks, accompanied by carnival organ music. He begins with a greeting, then makes a series of movements and vocalizations while he converses with the skull, which flashes its LED eyes and moves its jaw in response. When the fortune teller is set to manual mode, a wireless microphone allows you to channel your voice through him while you remain hidden; his eyes and mouth will move as you speak. It operates either with six AA batteries (required) or with the included AC adapter. Microphone requires one 9-volt battery. 30" H x 22" W x 15" D. (12 lbs.)

That looks like the fortune telling machine in "Big" with Tom Hanks!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:48:14 pm »

DON'T buy it David, it will become best friends with that creepy old ghost lady in your basement!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:15 pm »

DON'T buy it David, it will become best friends with that creepy old ghost lady in your basement!

:laugh:  :laugh:

I didn't think of that!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 03:58:48 pm »
Do you any of you remember those "pet rocks" they used to sell?

Do you remember the SLIME? The Dinosaur eggs? How about "Canned Darkenss"? Remember that one? It was an empty can with darkness inside.  ::)

Did any of you actually buy that crap?

I did!  :laugh:  :laugh:

>:(  >:(