Author Topic: What's the weirdest thing you've ever bought?  (Read 15147 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: What's the weirdest thing you've ever bought?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 04:01:44 pm »
heh - is that THE actual ad david!?

It does say its a caricture!!!!! :laugh:

I was just a stupid kid when I bought those sea monkeys Kelda. And I was very gullable too. But all the mothers loved me. They thought I was cute.  ::)  They were always patting me on the head and pinching my cheeks.  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 04:03:28 pm »
:laugh:  :laugh:

I didn't think of that!

Look at those creepy eyes!

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:22 am »
I bought live insects ( a praying mantis and several hundred ladie bugs) to release in my garden.  That seemed rather strange to me at the time. 
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 01:19:42 am »
Probably my strangest shopping trip ever...

A few years ago, I passed by a yard sale and bought two things:  a carved wooden alligator and a boomerang.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 02:40:00 am »
Weirdest shopping trip I ever went on.... a trip outside of town to a chicken ranch where you could have all the manure you wanted for a dollar as long as you shoveled it yourself.  My neighbor Kathy and I got the bright idea of taking her husbands pick-up and a couple of shovels and getting us a truck load of fertilizer for a buck.  Deal right?  Boy was that hard, hot, smelly work.   

:laugh: But you know what, my plants just loved that chicken poo  :laugh:
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 02:46:16 am »
Weirdest shopping trip I ever went on.... a trip outside of town to a chicken ranch where you could have all the manure you wanted for a dollar as long as you shoveled it yourself.  My neighbor Kathy and I got the bright idea of taking her husbands pick-up and a couple of shovels and getting us a truck load of fertilizer for a buck.  Deal right?  Boy was that hard, hot, smelly work.   

:laugh: But you know what, my plants just loved that chicken poo  :laugh:

Dottie, I'm sorry and I love you to death, but nothing and I mean NOTHING is worth shoveling chicken shit to save a few bucks. I'll just keep going to Home Depot, thank you.  ;)

:D :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 02:58:38 am »
Probably my strangest shopping trip ever...

A few years ago, I passed by a yard sale and bought two things:  a carved wooden alligator and a boomerang.

That doesn't sound TOO strange Laura, but I guess it depends on what you were planning on doing with that boomerang.  ;)

Speaking of yard sales, I once bought 10 bottles of shoe black at a yard sale for 50 cents. I bought it on a whim. I don't know why exactly but it came in handy when I landed that manager's position at General Cinema!  :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 03:09:31 am »
Dottie, I'm sorry and I love you to death, but nothing and I mean NOTHING is worth shoveling chicken shit to save a few bucks. I'll just keep going to Home Depot, thank you.  ;)

:D :D

:laugh:  You're right about that David! I've shoveled horse manure all my life but believe me there is nothing as rank as that chicken poo! And you have to stoop over and go under the coops to get it.  Damn hard work.  I thought at the end of it all they should have paid us to haul it away for them!  They got a racket going there LOL

Kathy and I decided this year we would skip the trip to the Chicken Ranch and just use the stuff from the nursery.  But my plants really did love that stuff  :laugh:
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 05:18:29 pm »
Back in 1990 when I was 24,  I bought a used Cadillac Hearse.    Oh yeah.   I wasn't even shopping for one.  LOL.     Being a Cadillac lover, I had just stopped by a Limousine dealership.  They also sold Hearses.   If in the area I'd stop by to walk out back and see what they had in as trade ins.   

The oldest car there was a silver 1973 Cadillac hearse.  It had a dent in the front fender.   It had a silver roof too.  Not the usual black ones you see.    It was $500.    I laughed,  "Gee I could buy that with my VISA card"     Well they took me up on my comment.    The next thing I know I'm driving it home.    It was huge.     

I couldn't drive it home.  My parents would have a fit!   So I drove it to my boyfriends house.   LOL.    He was also a Cadillac nut and intrigued by the vehicle, but still was in shock I bought it.   "What the hell are you going to do with it?"    I don't know.   Paint it red and white and make an Ambulance out of it?  "Well I guess that would be better" he said.    It didn't take long before his neighbors called asking if everything was alright.   LOL.

Well, I hid the Hearse at the shop where I worked.  Eventually my boss told me it had to go.    So I took it to a garage for a safety inspection.   While there it was vandalized.   The owner of the garage felt bad it happened.  So he offered to give me a fair value for the car because he wanted to pull the engine out of it.    I quickly accepted his offer.

So that was my weirdest purchase!

That IS a weird purchase David!

A friend of mine has a coffin in his house! A real one. It's an antique from the 1800's. My boyfriend and I have been tempted to.....

......oh never mind.  :-X

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 05:47:11 pm »
Back in 1990 when I was 24,  I bought a used Cadillac Hearse.    Oh yeah.   I wasn't even shopping for one.  LOL.     Being a Cadillac lover, I had just stopped by a Limousine dealership.  They also sold Hearses.   If in the area I'd stop by to walk out back and see what they had in as trade ins.   

The oldest car there was a silver 1973 Cadillac hearse.  It had a dent in the front fender.   It had a silver roof too.  Not the usual black ones you see.    It was $500.    I laughed,  "Gee I could buy that with my VISA card"     Well they took me up on my comment.    The next thing I know I'm driving it home.    It was huge.     

I couldn't drive it home.  My parents would have a fit!   So I drove it to my boyfriends house.   LOL.    He was also a Cadillac nut and intrigued by the vehicle, but still was in shock I bought it.   "What the hell are you going to do with it?"    I don't know.   Paint it red and white and make an Ambulance out of it?  "Well I guess that would be better" he said.    It didn't take long before his neighbors called asking if everything was alright.   LOL.

Well, I hid the Hearse at the shop where I worked.  Eventually my boss told me it had to go.    So I took it to a garage for a safety inspection.   While there it was vandalized.   The owner of the garage felt bad it happened.  So he offered to give me a fair value for the car because he wanted to pull the engine out of it.    I quickly accepted his offer.

So that was my weirdest purchase!

:laugh: :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/