Author Topic: Has anyone  (Read 9969 times)

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
Has anyone
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:23:05 am »
Has anyone seen the Family Stone??..no really, this is on topic...Have you??
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: Has anyone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 04:29:21 am »
No.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 05:40:24 am »
Sorry me neither.  ???

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 06:18:07 am »
tell us about it Gay.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 07:56:51 am »
A good movie on many levels.  My dgtr in law lent it to me after our conversaton about BBM.  It is a family who has a son that is gay. his partner is black. they are the sweetest fmily..the couple are totally accepted by the parents and siblings. it is wonderful to see and you hope that thier attitude is mirrored in all families.  anyway...one of the sons brings a woman into the family that just does not fit in, you will see when you watch it that she has a problem with gays AND blacks to a certain degree...this isn't the whole story line, i think that is about love and loss, but i'd like for you guys to rent it and tell me what you think. it is a wonderful portrayal of the gay couple, their love for each other and the goodness in people...you'll see..its just a good movie...not BBM...nothing will ever be, but this resonates
gay

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 08:25:20 am »
I saw it in the theater back at Christmas-time...I remember liking it when I saw it but as I thought about it, alot of it was so...pat that it bordered on trite.

I really got annoyed with the daughter that didn't like the Sarah Jessica Parker character (sorry, I can't remember their names). And it really bugged me that the mother (Diane Keaton) just went right along with it and in fact, was just as unaccepting before she'd ever laid eyes on the young woman. I just don't think that's how a mother would/should behave.

They make this big deal about being an accepting, inclusive family (the whole thing with the gay son & his partner) but then look how they treat a potential daughter-in-law. It makes me wonder what the partner had to go through--or did they just welcome him with open arms? And if so, why? Isn't that sort of a double standard?

And then of course, mom has Hollywood mystery disease--looks healthy as a horse and then, bingo! She's dead! LOL

Maybe we can talk about Casanova--Ennis in Venice! LOL

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 08:37:17 am »
I'm sorry, maggiesmommy, but I'm pretty much in agreement with Leslie. I did like Luke Wilson's character, though.

Who here has seen Casanova? It never came to my neighborhood theater, I don't think. But then, I was kind of scared to see it, anyway -- it distubs me to see Heath in any other role (except, for some reason, in Lords of Dogtown). Anyway, it sounds good, and maybe now I could handle it.

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 09:05:27 am »
i guess we all see different things..and it was no brokeback, never could be, not even close...and all you say is true...however,we all see movies in a different light depending where we are emothinally..guess it just spoke to ME a bit becuase of that and i wasn't judging the film as a whole, but on the part that touched me..I suppose in retrospect it was a bit trite, but that wasn't on my mind while watching it..

My mentioning the film was not in the role of film critic, but rather on the human, emotional level that it reached me...i guess you'd have to be inside my head to understand..anyway... 
thats the great thing..humm..we can all have our own opinion!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:06:25 am »
I'm sorry, maggiesmommy, but I'm pretty much in agreement with Leslie. I did like Luke Wilson's character, though.

Who here has seen Casanova? It never came to my neighborhood theater, I don't think. But then, I was kind of scared to see it, anyway -- it distubs me to see Heath in any other role (except, for some reason, in Lords of Dogtown). Anyway, it sounds good, and maybe now I could handle it.

I liked Luke Wilson, too, but we were supposed to like him...the dope smoking California dude, right? LOL

I actually saw Casanova in the theater--saw on a day when BBM was sold out and my daughter and I went to Casanova, instead.

It is totally mindless, silly fluff, but it has lots of nice scenery of Venice (a place I have never been but want to visit). When I saw it, I had just finished reading "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt (same guy who wrote "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."). This book is about the fire of the Fenice Opera House and also has lots of description of the city, so seeing the movie gave me a nice visual.

Heath made this on the heels of BBM and he truly looks and sounds like Ennis in Venice with a British accent. He's sexy and fun. The movie is silly--but I have watched sillier movies and enjoyed them too. If you want serious and deep, stay away. If you are a hard core Heathen, you won't be disappointed. Our boy is in many, many scenes--lookin' good and sounding better ;-)

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:09:03 am »
I saw it in the theatre expecting a comedy (since they advertised it as one) and didn't laugh at all..kinda ruined the movie for me.