Author Topic: Has anyone  (Read 9892 times)

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
Re: Has anyone
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 04:25:11 pm »
I didn't see it that way. In my opinion Meredith didn't mean to be rude about it, she was just trying to say that a person who is gay and deaf, beacause that guy was deaf too, might have it harder than anyone else to be accepted in society. I don't recall very well the scene but it was about being happy or something like that, and Meredith focused it from society's point of view. But she didn't know how to convey her thoughts too well, because she was nervous and all, and the whole family misunderstood her. I saw the movie a long time ago but that how I remember that scene.

The reason she gets so caught up is because the mother (Diane Keaton) says that she tried to make all her sons gay and that she only got lucky with one. Unfortunately, Meredith took that the wrong way (at the end of the day, she's a highly strung person and that's the way it is) and so therefore could not understand how a mother could want that for her sons, in the sense that they will so often not be accepted. However, she then made it seem that she believed being gay to be "abnormal" and insulted the entire family.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 04:53:23 pm »
The reason she gets so caught up is because the mother (Diane Keaton) says that she tried to make all her sons gay and that she only got lucky with one. Unfortunately, Meredith took that the wrong way (at the end of the day, she's a highly strung person and that's the way it is) and so therefore could not understand how a mother could want that for her sons, in the sense that they will so often not be accepted. However, she then made it seem that she believed being gay to be "abnormal" and insulted the entire family.

Thank you FuzzyChanny. I guess I have to see the movie again!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 04:58:06 pm »
I didn't see it that way. In my opinion Meredith didn't mean to be rude about it, she was just trying to say that a person who is gay and deaf, beacause that guy was deaf too, might have it harder than anyone else to be accepted in society. I don't recall very well the scene but it was about being happy or something like that, and Meredith focused it from society's point of view. But she didn't know how to convey her thoughts too well, because she was nervous and all, and the whole family misunderstood her. I saw the movie a long time ago but that's how I remember that scene.

That's pretty much how I saw it going, but I hated this scene more than anything else in the movie. It seemed contrived and unlikely and cringe-making. However high-strung or nervous, she would not be that blatantly tactless. And if she were, the family would have good reason to dislike her. It changed her character from someone who was sort of bumbling and annoying but ultimately likeable to someone MUCH less sympathetic. It didn't match the tone of what is basically a fairly light romantic comedy.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 05:00:51 pm »
Thank you FuzzyChanny. I guess I have to see the movie again!

Not a problem. ;D
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 05:19:52 pm »
Gay, I just rethought my post above and felt guilty about being so harsh. I didn't love the movie, although part of that was probably that I was there with my 10- and 11-year-old sons, who absolutely hated it, and I felt bad about dragging them to it. And actually, there were parts of it I did like.

I usually try to make an effort not to trash movies that other people in the conversation enjoy. So I apologize for being so outspokenly negative about it.

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 06:14:22 pm »
oh, i didn't feel that you were negative..and i didn't LOVE the movie either, but it had parts that spoke to what i have discovered latley, and  that is that soicety as a whole is pretty closed minded and there is so much overt bigotry out there that it is just sad to alwyas have to rise above it...i am just a bit tender about what my new friends have to go through..so it hit me on a different level than it would have if i had gone to see it to be entertained.
i think the charachter was so uptight and anal about so many things, that even if she did "approve" of the relationship she was totally unable to express it in a way that anybody understood...
she was that way  because she KNEW that the guy wasn't for her, even though she didn't admit it until later, after she fell for the brother....i also agree that they made it seem like a comedy, which it really wasn't..yes, the plot was trite...
so, the only part i really thought was good was the realtionship between the brother and his partner. that was portrayed in such a normal offhanded way, no jokes about it, no tv type sterotyping...but maybe if I were gay i would look at in in a totally different light...i don't know...i just thought it was a good for that reason..if i'm wrong its out of ignorance...
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 07:12:48 pm »
Yep, I saw the Family Stone.

It was so trite and bordered on offensive.

The family was so extremely hateful yet so PC correct.  I wondered why the Sarah character even wanted to be one of them.

And as for 'family', the Sarah character couldn't even trust her sister alone with her fiance for more than 5 minutes.

Ick Ick Ick Ick, yuck yuck.