Author Topic: Happy Birthday Annie Proulx!  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Happy Birthday Annie Proulx!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:25 pm »
which gives hope to the rest of us aging underachievers!)

Oh geez, now after a lifetime of being an underachiever, I get to be an aging underachiever.   :-\  It's cause a you I'm like this, Annie!! 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:48:46 pm »

Oh geez, now after a lifetime of being an underachiever, I get to be an aging underachiever.   :-\  It's cause a you I'm like this, Annie!! 

:laugh:

Now, now. You don't have to worry about bein nothin and nowhere until you're 49.

But good point. Literally, it is cause a Annie I'm like this (well, at least partly ;D :-\).

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:09:03 pm »
aw jezus, if I lernt anything from this experence it is how luck I am to be who I am, nobody, nowhere. I am as happy as a big in a rug.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 11:36:56 pm »

{{{ineedshakesthecrayons}}}

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:15:27 am »

The info about the jury selection is interesting and something I'd never heard before. 

Me neither.

Small world moment: I read about the jury selection in Katherine's post, then went googling pics of Annie. I stumbled over an article in a German magazine - and bang - there they mentioned the same piece of information. I've never heard it before, than read it twice in five minutes  :o.

I find it a bit hard to believe though. Bit much of an coincidence, isn't it? On the other side, there are people (right here on our board  ;)) who think there's no such thing as coincidence.... *shrugs*

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:33:21 am »
I find it a bit hard to believe though. Bit much of an coincidence, isn't it?

I know, it has an air about it of urban legend ... or I guess in this case, rural legend.

???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »
When they talk about "a Wyoming gay-bashing"... I presume they're talking about Earl?  We all know that Jack died in Texas so the connection between Wyoming and violence (or the suggestion of violence) is not so direct in his case.

Huhn. I'd bet the reference is to Jack. These "fun facts" things are so superficial I'd bet my Saturday night drinkin' money that whoever put these facts together on Annie Proulx probably never even read the story.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 09:16:37 pm »

Now, now. You don't have to worry about bein nothin and nowhere until you're 49.

Gee, thanks Katherine. ...  >:(  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 06:23:16 pm »
According to my book The Secret Language of Birthdays which friend Adrian the horsewrangler gave me, August 22 is the Day of Seasoned Experience. "Those born on August 22, no matter how far they pursue imaginative, fanciful and creative pursuits, never lose track of the experience which they have culled from the most common of tasks and daily activities. . . Those born on this day despise pretension and pity those who bring themselves or others into jeopardy through hubris or overconfidence. Building on a secure knowledge of the world and how it works, August 22 people proceed logically whether they remain on the physicall plane or deal in abstract concepts and sophisticated knowledge.

It sounds like her!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 11:30:14 pm »
....  August 22 is the Day of Seasoned Experience.

It sounds like her!!

Well said Lee

Happy Birthday Annie