Author Topic: which scene made you cry ?  (Read 23154 times)

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
which scene made you cry ?
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:11:52 pm »
For me, it was the scene when JACK travels miles to see Ennis when he hears that Ennis had got a divorce only to be turned away by Ennis who decided to put his daughters first.The heartbroken look on Jack's face and the tears he wipes as he drives away spoke more than a thousand words could have done.JUST thinking of that scene makes the tears flow...................

vkm91941

Re: which scene made you cry ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 02:23:21 pm »
First tear was in the that second tent scene, so tender, so lovely...

Cried with Jack driving back to Texas after the "got your post card about the  divorce" misunderstanding...

Really began to cry during the fight by the lake " I wish I knew how to quit you"....

cried all the way through the call to Lureen and the visit to Jack's Mom and Dad and wept out right a the end with the shirts and "Jack I swear"    :'(

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 02:30:11 pm »
the first viewing, I didn't cry until about 20 minutes after the movie, after that I usually cry at "Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it" then Lureen's litte whimper during the phone call sets me off and I cry through the rest of the movie with a brief break during the Alma Jr. scene then restart when Ennis buttons the top button of Jack's shirt.

though, I'm pretty sure at some point I've cried during most of the scenes  :-\
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:32:59 pm »
I never actually cried but I had a hard time with....

"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".......I felt Jacks pain in that scene.....cheesy as it sounds...

"I wish I knew how to quit you" scene.....both Heath and Jake had to let it all go in that scene.....tears at your heart...

"Jack, I swear".....just as 'The Wings' picks up.....Ennis buttons up the shirt and looks at the post card.....the combo of Heaths performance, Angs direction and the MUSIC made that scene unforgettable....

Offline a_r2006

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 02:41:37 pm »
the scene when ennis cuddles the shirts.........makes my eyes burn each time I think of it ! I must have cried buckets for a few weeks after watching the film for the first time !

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 02:43:31 pm »
The first time I saw it, I got misty for the first time at the phone call to Lureen, then teary when Ennis first entered Jack's room, and it was so stark, and I thought, "How could *he* have lived in that room?"

The second time I saw it, I began weeping soundlessly at the beginning of the lake trip, knowing it would be their last time together, and never let up until the credits finished rolling.

Since then, sometimes I'm gripped by it again and start weeping at any number of places, as early as the second tent scene, and as late as Ennis' last line.  Other times, I've been able to watch it all the way through and not shed a tear.  No matter what, though, I never get over that shot of Jack's face after he's been hit with the tire iron.  It makes me gasp out loud and put my hand to my mouth every single time.
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:46:16 pm »
The last time I saw the movie in the theater, I started crying at "Nice to know you, Ennis del Mar."

I just thought: Jack, you've got NO IDEA.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 03:05:43 pm »
The last time I saw the movie in the theater, I started crying at "Nice to know you, Ennis del Mar."

I just thought: Jack, you've got NO IDEA.

LOL, if it's not too offensive to say that about someone crying. You're right, though, nakymaton!

I could cry at any number of scenes in the movie. But just to name a different one from everyone else's picks, I cry at the scene with Ennis in the alley. I feel sooooo sorry for him. He knows he's losing the love of his life but is powerless to do anything about it (and, to make things worse, feels terrible about punching Jack).

The other day, while making a bed and contemplating Ennis' future, I burst into tears and then wondered if I will ever again be sane.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 03:11:24 pm »
 ;D Not offensive at all, Katherine. In fact, I was kind of amused at myself for about a minute while I was leaking tears. (I cry like Ennis cries, not like Cassie cries.)

I've kind of changed from crying at the obviously sad scenes (first time was when Ennis was on the phone with Lureen, and then through to the end) to crying at the happy ones.

I figure that when I start crying when the "Focus Features" logo comes on, maybe I'll pass through to the other side of the movie and will be able to accept it for being beautiful and not feel so obsessed and torn up about it.

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 03:21:52 pm »
I never actually cried but I had a hard time with....

"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".......I felt Jacks pain in that scene.....cheesy as it sounds...

"I wish I knew how to quit you" scene.....both Heath and Jake had to let it all go in that scene.....tears at your heart...

"Jack, I swear".....just as 'The Wings' picks up.....Ennis buttons up the shirt and looks at the post card.....the combo of Heaths performance, Angs direction and the MUSIC made that scene unforgettable....

100% with you Slayers. Though I never cried, I have a hard time at these three points too.
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 03:26:04 pm »
I figure that when I start crying when the "Focus Features" logo comes on, maybe I'll pass through to the other side of the movie and will be able to accept it for being beautiful and not feel so obsessed and torn up about it.

I know. I'm the same way about trying to find a way to fix this feeling. I think I keep watching the movie in the hopes that someday it will end differently.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 03:30:51 pm »
My wife...while she was pregnant mind you...cried from opening credits until the next morning I kid you not!  And when Brokeback lost the Oscar she again cried histerically for 2 or 3 hours.  Then when I brought home the DVD the morning of April 4th she again teared up at the first site of the DVD case.....poor girl! 

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 03:32:43 pm »
I don't think I cried at all the first time I saw the movie.  I was too stunned.    But that sure changed with future viewings!  

The big tear jerkers are of course the big fight, the deceased postcard and call to Lureen,  finding the shirts and the ending.  

Tell you what,  truth is....now I get a lump in my throat when the Focus features logo and music comes on at the beginning!  

David  

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 03:41:47 pm »
Tell you what,  truth is....now I get a lump in my throat when the Focus features logo and music comes on at the beginning!  

LOL.....as do I....

Offline opinionista

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 04:55:04 pm »
I cry when Jack's mom tells Ennis with tears on her eyes. -You come back to see us, huh-
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:47:47 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:25 pm »
I, too have the trend to start crying the earlier in the movie the more I see  it.
First viewing - no tears at all. Not in the cinema, not at home, not the next day. But three days later the tears came from one second to another when seeing a shirt hanging on a closet door. Second viewing frome the lake scene on till some time after the credits ended.
After a total of 5 viewings there are many scenes I cried in (not in every scene at every viewing):
Ennis in the alley, divorce scene, "Tell ya what...", confrontation at the lake, the flashback - omg, the flashback is a killer for me. Ennis in Jack's room, and the shirts (they hit me two times, in Jack's closet and in Ennis's closet).
Last time I saw it I felt a lump in my throat when Ennis and Jack rode down the mountain with the sheep.

Boy, that's odd. Especially because I ususally don't cry at movies - as long as not being pregnant. I think I could count the movies I cried on one hand.

My wife...while she was pregnant mind you
Jeez. I never could have watched BBM while being pregnant. When pregnant, I'm so flooded with hormones I tend to cry at sad songs on the radio.

I think I keep watching the movie in the hopes that someday it will end differently.
Katherine, you took the words right out of my mouth. And not for the first time. I want it sooo badly for Ennis and Jack to end different.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 05:30:38 pm »
Becky had my list, I totally can't remember them all. But hopefully when I get my DVD (this week hopefully!!!) I'll be able to rewrite it.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

vkm91941

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 05:36:41 pm »
My wife...while she was pregnant mind you
Jeez. I never could have watched BBM while being pregnant. When pregnant, I'm so flooded with hormones I tend to cry at sad songs on the radio.

Me too, cute animals, puppies...kids, those kids singing the Oscar Meyer Bologna song use do me in every time! :D

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 08:35:45 pm »
The whole argument/confrontation does it to me...building to a teary crescendo when the flashback occurs.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:34 pm »
**This thread rocks**  :D :'( :'(

I can hardly handle watching the flashback scene.  Thinking of it now makes me cry.  The part of the score on the soundtrack that I know goes with the flashback even makes me all emotional.  Ennis's last line "see you in the morning" is just so ominous.  In the context of their first summer it was sweet and breezy, but since it's positioned as the last bit of dialogue that we hear between Ennis and Jack it takes on such a different meaning.  Like a foreboding. Oh my god!  They'll never see each other again.  To me it sounds like Ennis saying "see you in the next life".  That scene kills me because it shows how much wonderful potential they had and shows without doubt exactly how happy they made each other.

For a long time I had to turn the DVD off right after the motel scene.  As soon as the cut to Alma sitting in the kitchen came I was done.  I'm much better about watching the whole thing again lately.  But, I often can't handle watching the post-divorce fiasco either.

I have to say... the amazing thing about BBM is that I love the way it makes me sad.  I want it to make me tear up!  It's the most wonderful bittersweetness I've ever experienced in a film. Period.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:45 pm »
I think I keep watching the movie in the hopes that someday it will end differently.
I know.

(Confession: I used to be a bit amused by people who went to see Titanic over and over in hopes that Jack wouldn't die at the end. I stilll might not be a fan of Titanic, but I can sympathize with the actions!

Of course, I did go to see Return of the King over and over in hopes that Frodo wouldn't sail away at the end...)

Slayers: OMG. Seeing BBM while pregnant. Your wife has my sympathy. Geez, just seeing the lambs at the beginning would have set me off when I was pregnant.  Seeing Jack pet the dog would have set me off.

Amanda: It was the moment right after the flashback scene, watching Jack watch Ennis drive away, that completely tore me up one time. I just thought: and that's the last time we're going to see him.

Tell you what, though, I cry at a different time every time I watch it. The shirts actually don't make me cry now. It's as if... maybe I've only got so many tears I can cry for each thing. Or maybe I only cry when I first realize that a scene is sad, and when I'm anticipating the sadness I can deal with it. (I'll probably cry when Ennis jokes about the harmonica next time. I don't think I've cried about that yet.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 11:50:46 pm »
(I'll probably cry when Ennis jokes about the harmonica next time. I don't think I've cried about that yet.)

LOL, naky. Maybe the thread should be "what is the more unexpected scene you have cried at?"

Has anybody mentioned the pie scene? That one is also wrenching.

Maybe it should be a poll. What scene is saddest? Even then I don't know which one I'd pick. The last scene, I suppose, because everything else builds up to it. But then again, the turning point scenes -- such as the post-divorce scene -- are also devastating.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 03:57:36 pm »
Well, in last night's viewing, the catalyst was Jack's saying, "So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain.  Everything's built on that, boy.  Fucking all."  That line alone has never done it for me before.  But after 11 previous viewings (but who's counting? ;)), for some reason, the thought that as far as Jack is concerned, Ennis has never really gotten any further than he had that summer just stabbed me in the heart.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 05:15:38 pm »
Since I think I've cried at every scene so far, I have a new thing now.
I scream at the screen.. yep.

The reunion scene:  Go back in the house, Ennis.  Save yourself 20 yrs of heartache.
The lake scene:   Don't say it Jack, he won't answer you.
Later on in the lake scene:  Don't let him drive off, Jack.  You need him to save you.

Well you get the picture... I need a life ::)
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 05:33:22 pm »
The 2nd Tent scene always gets me.  They say very little, just I'm sorry from Ennis and It's alright, It's alright from Jack...But the silence speaks volumes...they don't need words...we all know that kind of communication rarley happens and comes out of total surrender to the other person...
no words, but the looks on both their faces...omg....i just melt every time i see it...Ennis just looks so fractured, but relieved and so "at home"...Jack looks happy, and so much in love...
just gets me every time....BUT of course its not the ONLY one, just one of many!!)

Gay
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:23:48 am by maggiesmommy »
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 05:51:28 pm »
Well you get the picture... I need a life ::)

Don't we all, DeeDee! ::)

I agree with all your reactions but one. Would you really advise Ennis to go back in the house? (Personally, I would advise Ennis to save himself 20 years of heartbreak by MOVING OUT OF the house!) But also, IMO he's better off having a wonderful long-distance relationship than no wonderful relationship at all.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 11:17:58 pm »
I swear, I didn't know I was going to get into this again, but...

Can I just come into this thread and bawl?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(Usual places, but this time I had stuff dripping off my chin from the dozy embrace to the end of the credits. I need to rehydrate now. And blow my nose.)

(And I pleaded with Jack to turn around when he started crying in the truck, after the divorce. And when they left at the end of the summer, I told Ennis to say... something, anything, to acknowledge Jack's "can we see each other again?" look. And I told them to just kiss already during the tussle that turned into the punch.)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 11:39:09 pm »
I swear, I didn't know I was going to get into this again, but...

Can I just come into this thread and bawl?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(Usual places, but this time I had stuff dripping off my chin from the dozy embrace to the end of the credits. I need to rehydrate now. And blow my nose.)

(And I pleaded with Jack to turn around when he started crying in the truck, after the divorce. And when they left at the end of the summer, I told Ennis to say... something, anything, to acknowledge Jack's "can we see each other again?" look. And I told them to just kiss already during the tussle that turned into the punch.)

I applaud your efforts nakymaton!  I wish they had listened to at least one of your suggestions.
 :'(

I get mad that the "confusing tussle" doesn't turn into a kiss too.  The worst part is that right before Ennis slugs Jack you can see Jack is doing that "caress the jaw-line" thing that is usually his sign that a kiss is coming.  They shouldn't have wasted these last moments together.  How does Ennis end up with the bloody nose anyway.  I know that in the story it says he bangs into Jack's knee by accident... but it's not so clear in the movie.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 09:34:09 am »
  How does Ennis end up with the bloody nose anyway.  I know that in the story it says he bangs into Jack's knee by accident... but it's not so clear in the movie.

Yeah, I've watched closely to try to figure that out and never quite succeeded.

Here's the scene that makes me especially cry these days (or at least launches the tears that pretty much pour from then on til the end of the movie): the dozy embrace flashback. I know it's supposed to be sweet and nice, but for me it's not -- partly because of its mid-argument context, partly because it shows how wonderful things could have been, partly because it's the last time we see Jack, partly because of the sweet music, partly because of the kettle and coffee pot together on the grill, partly because of the finality of Ennis' "gotta go, see you in the morning" and then riding off without looking back ... in a way, it's like watching their fates being sealed.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 10:09:10 am »
I get mad that the "confusing tussle" doesn't turn into a kiss too.  The worst part is that right before Ennis slugs Jack you can see Jack is doing that "caress the jaw-line" thing that is usually his sign that a kiss is coming.  They shouldn't have wasted these last moments together.

Oh, I know! And murmuring "It's all right..." at the same time. Ennis!!! Don't punch him this time!!!! Just let him kiss you, please!!!  :'(

You know, I don't think Jack could possibly have done anything to calm Ennis in that scene. He tried nonchalant. He tried flirtaceous. He tried gentle. But Ennis was just too confused and torn apart for any response to have worked.

How does Ennis end up with the bloody nose anyway.  I know that in the story it says he bangs into Jack's knee by accident... but it's not so clear in the movie.

I'm not sure, either. I think Ennis's nose connects with Jack's elbow while they're rolling around, but it goes by so fast.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 12:06:05 pm »
You know, I don't think Jack could possibly have done anything to calm Ennis in that scene. He tried nonchalant. He tried flirtaceous. He tried gentle. But Ennis was just too confused and torn apart for any response to have worked.

Well, maybe he should have tried being a little less cheerful when Ennis rode up and found him dismantling the tent.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 01:41:07 pm »
Oh, I know! And murmuring "It's all right..." at the same time. Ennis!!! Don't punch him this time!!!! Just let him kiss you, please!!!  :'(

I'm not sure, either. I think Ennis's nose connects with Jack's elbow while they're rolling around, but it goes by so fast.

From what I see, it's his knee that comes up and gets him in the nose..of course by accident.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 05:47:52 pm »
In the short story, it's his knee...

I am really weird; I never cry duriong BBM, none of the 26 times in ther theater, or the numerous times I've watfhed my DVD. I cried at

ALL of Jeff Wrangler's "Some Sweet Life"
Leslie's 15th chapter. Hal's death.
The title of Madlori's second story,. "Two Crows Joy." THAT one really eats me up; too bad she's not adding to it.

Whern the children's voices come on the "Focus"--I feel like I'm home again. I remember watching "Henry V" with Rrenee Templeton when I was 12, and saying to her once, "Renee, we're home."

Maybe someday, I'll start shedding buckets of terars in the theater...maybe. Castro, here we come!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 10:01:28 pm »
First viewing - and it wasn't all tears - mostly a welling, moist eyes kind of thing  :P.

when Jack tries to tend to Ennis's wound after the bear incident
'nobody's business but ours'
Ennis's breakdown in alley
Jack's 'lonely' face when dancing with Lureen
reunion (actual serious tears here)
'ain't no reins on this one'
post divorce
'tell you what, truth is'
'I wish I knew how to quit you'
entirety of time in Jack's parents house (serious tears, again)
'he loves you?' said to Alma in trailer
'Jack, I swear'

W

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 12:14:17 am »
Currently, it's the soundtrack that gets to me and makes me get all teary.  Any part of the score usually does it.  But, the part of the score that corresponds with the flashback is enough to make me melt.  Listening to the score on its own just makes all the emotions about the movie really abstract and powerful.
 :'( :'( :'(

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 12:19:35 am »
Currently, it's the soundtrack that gets to me and makes me get all teary.  Any part of the score usually does it.  But, the part of the score that corresponds with the flashback is enough to make me melt.  Listening to the score on its own just makes all the emotions about the movie really abstract and powerful.
 :'( :'( :'(

I love the soundtrack too!  Gives me chills when I listen...

Offline David

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 12:42:12 pm »
Unbelievable!    I just rented the movie JarHead.     They show a preview for BBM at the beginning.    I started crying just from the preview!      :'(

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 12:46:11 pm »
Unbelievable!    I just rented the movie JarHead.     They show a preview for BBM at the beginning.    I started crying just from the preview!      :'(

OT: Is that the first time you saw Jarhead?

Offline David

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 12:49:02 pm »
Hi Chris!   Yes, it is my first time.    I haven't watched the whole thing yet.   I missed y'all and had to come back!    ;D

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:35 pm »
For me, it was the scene when JACK travels miles to see Ennis when he hears that Ennis had got a divorce only to be turned away by Ennis who decided to put his daughters first.The heartbroken look on Jack's face and the tears he wipes as he drives away spoke more than a thousand words could have done.JUST thinking of that scene makes the tears flow...................

Yep you and me both.  When Jack is driving up to see Ennis, totally unanounced, so happy, singing away, by the time he leaves he is completly devastated, and so am I.  When he drove into mexico and picked up that male prostitute, my heart broke for both of them.  For poor Ennis, if he,d have known what Jack was doing, and for Jack, because he did it out of biological need, and because the guy resembled Ennis.  He didnt WANT to sleep with anyone else, it was just pure and simple physical need.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Always and forever. J&E.xx

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 02:28:20 pm »
Hi Chris!   Yes, it is my first time.    I haven't watched the whole thing yet.   I missed y'all and had to come back!    ;D

Its good....I want to know what you think as soon as you finish it!  PM me or something...

Offline David

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 12:30:07 pm »
Its good....I want to know what you think as soon as you finish it! 

Hi Chris!

I just finished watching it.   Pretty good movie!     Worth it just to see Jake shake his ass in that Santa outfit!    Ha ha ha!

But seriously, I thought it was very intense.   Jake was very good.  Hell, they all were.  And yes, I got choked up at the ending.   

David

Offline David

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »
Yep you and me both.  When Jack is driving up to see Ennis, totally unanounced, so happy, singing away, by the time he leaves he is completly devastated, and so am I. 

Oh yeah.  That is a heart breaking scene.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2006, 01:33:38 am »
I relate - of course - to most here.

I have cried as the RiverRoad logo car comes down the winding road.  As Ennis jumps out of the semi with his little bag.  As Ennis comes riding up to Jack taking the tent down. As Jack is saying, "You're not gonna get this from your Caddie!"  At Ennis's tears in the divorce court room.  As Jack pulls up so happy post-divorce.   Watching Ennis stand there after Jack drives away post-divorce.  As they are silently riding through the water after Thanksgiving.  As Jack says, "Tell you what, truth is sometimes..."

I have been furious when he says, "Well, see you round, hunh?"  When Ennis has to listen to the homophobic joke on the radio while packing to leave for a fishin' trip.  After Jack says the previously montioned "Sometimes I miss you..." and Ennis says absolutely nothing. 

And I also finally completely realized that I see BBM expecting/hoping that this time it will end different, like Groundhog Day.  When Ennis still says, "See you round,"  I just can't fuckin believe he is still makming the same devastating mistake.  Didn't he learn from the last twenty times?

Offline David

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 08:53:45 am »
.  After Jack says the previously montioned "Sometimes I miss you..." and Ennis says absolutely nothing. 

That is the real ass kicker for me!     I want to scream "Ennis you lunkhead!  SAY SOMETHING!"   :'(

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2006, 02:20:20 pm »
That posted photo is from where Ennis stops talking to look at the passing truck, and jack follows his gaze..

I love Jarhead...you gotta listen to the "specials" where Mendes told Jake when the interviewer talks to Swoff,   to be honest (to his charact--without the Mendes voice over--is THAT a gas!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 10:00:47 pm »
 :'( :( :'( :( :'(

So, here's what's killing me lately.  The phone call to Lureen.  The sound of Ennis's voice through the phone (what we can hear from Lureen's end) for some reason gets me all choked up.  Ennis's little "back in 63" line and his "we was good friends" kill me.  The under statement of "we was good friends" is just such a tragedy.  It reminds me of the line during the Lightning Flat scene when Ennis says something like "I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel."  That's so honest and so sad!  He has no one to grieve with in the most complete, open and honest sense.

:'( :( :'( :( :'(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 11:51:10 pm »
He has no one to grieve with in the most complete, open and honest sense.

Now you're making ME cry! That is one of the saddest things -- not only did he lack any fellow grievers, he had to (or felt he had to) hide his own grief. I am wishing, as I have so many times, that Ennis had the internet -- we'd be there for him! (I also wish that those crying icons came in graduating stages of crying, so that a line of them would trace the whole progression from :) to  :-\ to :( to  :'(

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 01:56:58 am »
One of the many scenes that get me going is the dozy embrace.  During a special moment in the music, Jack rolls his head forward and then to his right, seemingly to brush his face against Ennis's right arm.  I then remember in the book how Jack wanted to face Ennis, but knew he couldn't then.  I saw it as Jacks way of caressing or holding Ennis.  The music is perfect at that moment, so tender and loving.
Adrian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:04:23 am by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 03:05:31 am »
There are many tender moments in the movie for me. 

The first that struck a watershed of tears is the second tent scene, Ennis finally giving into to his longing and the loneliness of years melting away in Jack's embrace.  That moves me.  I don't know why except that I know how that feels.

I cried for Alma when she sees Ennis leaving to go "fishing" the first time.  She is in so much heartbreaking panic, feeling that Ennis is abandoning her for "a man".   Her dread of losing him and her confusion is very painful.  She is a good woman and loves him.  I felt for her.

After the divorce, when Jack drove up all the way from Texas thinking Ennis would finally start a life with him only to have that joyful hope crushed.  That too hurt deeply.

The last time Ennis and Jack are together, their argument, Jack's frustration and revelation of how hard it gets, Ennis’ honesty, his break down and collapse.  The scene is bitterly hard because one knows things probably won't change.  Jack's memory of his "ideal moment with Ennis" juxtaposed with the grim look on his face as he watches Ennis drive off.  The whole situation is overwhelmingly sad.

But for me, the killer is when Ennis finds his shirt in the closet with Jack's after Jack is gone.  For me, there was nothing more painful or sad than when he holds the shirts, tries to inhale some scent of Jack.  As I have said in other posts, I did the exact same thing when I lost someone.  That scene really broke me up and probably always will. 

I am trying, these days, to think of the humor in the movie too.  It does balance the grief and I'm glad it's there.  I try to remind myself that they did have a 20 year friendship/romance that was as good as they were able to make it.  Some never have anything close to that and everything comes to an end in life. 

I am thankful for friends I have in my life, for the loves, great and small that I've had throughout my time.   To remain open to love, both in giving and receiving it; that's the key to a full and happy life.   I try always to remind myself of that.

Peace,
Rayn

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2006, 09:20:03 pm »
The tears definitely start for me at the dozy embrace flashback scene.  Can't make it through that yet without getting teary eyed.  It gets progressively worse as Ennis talks to Lureen and how he pauses afterwards with the telephone receiver on his mouth.  The tears then proceed into crocdile tears as Ennis is buttoning that shirt.  I can't stand it!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
There are many tender moments in the movie for me. 

The first that struck a watershed of tears is the second tent scene, Ennis finally giving into to his longing and the loneliness of years melting away in Jack's embrace.  That moves me.  I don't know why except that I know how that feels.

Peace,
Rayn

Rayn, your whole post is wonderful, but these lines moved me most.

I watched my BBM dvd tonight. This must have been my 11th or 12th viewing in all -  I have stopped counting -  but as I hadn't watched in weeks, I found that I was as deeply hit as on my second viewing in the theater. Yes, second, not first.
On my first viewing, I had the book on my mind too much. I WAS hit in a major way especially 20 minutes after I left the theater, and then for days on end, but thought: " I must go back and take another good look at this movie!". And a week later, the second viewing just floored me.
Like tonight. And yet I have come a long way in my personal life since that first and second viewing almost 6 months ago. I now know why this film hit me so deeply, and how I can "finish the story" in real life...
But still I started crying tonight come tent scene2, and never stopped till the end.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2006, 02:14:48 pm »
One of the saddest is, but not often mentioned is when Jack says "Time to get going cowboy". The end of their time on Brokeback.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:17:02 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2006, 03:13:26 pm »
Always the flashback scene. It did the first time I seen it and still does.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2006, 11:22:19 pm »
Ennis listens to a homophobic joke on the radio? "You're not gonna get this from your Caddie?" What are these? Explain please!

I agree with atz when she said it's, in a way, kind of nice to cry in BBM. I've cried literally 1000s of tears for this movie, most of the time hysterically, but in a way, it is a nice outlet for my emotions.

I cried in the second tent scene. It's sooo beautiful and touching.
I was upset when they left Brokeback and Ennis cried in the alley, the poor thing.
I cried for Alma when Ennis and Jack reunited and she discovered their secret.

I cried hard during the campfire scene halfway through when Ennis talks about Earl's death and after they realize their relationship can never amount to anything, Jack reaches over and tenderly brushes Ennis' face... That was so sweet.

The post-divorce scene is depressing as is when Ennis gets beaten up outside the bar and then you see them silently riding horses together. Those last two scenes really kick my ass because I really start to sense time passing by in their lives and the better days in 1963 are, at that point, a sweet memory... (Cries.)

Then I got all choked up during the "Sometimes I miss you so much..." scene and again and again, I've lost it during the lakeside confrontation. That scene kills me. The flashback is equally wrenching. I sniffle through the Cassie scene in the bus station but it has become even more devastating to me now, considering that in this scene, Ennis realizes he's in love with Jack.

Phone call. Oh, God, this scene is powerful and upsetting. "He said it was his favorite place..." -- sorry if that's paraphrased incorrectly -- is a gut-wrenching and haunting line.
The entire Lightening Flat scene is devastatingly powerful and I bawl through all these scenes, the final scene in Ennis' trailer, all the way through the credits, and the last time I watched this movie, a couple times over the following days...

Seriously, you'd think I was conscious during an amputation -- that's how hysterically I react to the heartbreaking scenes in this movie.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 04:08:32 am »
One of the saddest is, but not often mentioned is when Jack says "Time to get going cowboy". The end of their time on Brokeback.

What makes Ennis, Ennis, is all that undercurrent of emotion, feelings he can't connect with or express willingly.   Ennis isn't as self directed as Jack because he can't always direct his strongest feelings.  It's a weakness that controls the direction his life takes.

Yes, the "Time to git gonin..." scene is sad, especially for Ennis.   He's sitting up there not wantin' to leave, that was clear when he responded to Jack's news with feeling that they were being cheated out of a whole month's pay, but it's way more than money that Ennis is upset about. 

He's sulking on the hill like he's been hurt.  He is hurt because he doesn't want to leave the magic of Brokeback with Jack, and in a larger way, he is hurt by the course his life takes with Jack.  He's hurt and healed, he's blessed and cursed at the same time by the course his life takes with Jack. 

He is hurt because he is crippled by internal homophobia and the awful dread that he might be killed on account of how he feels for Jack.  His fear becomes so acute in the end that he reveals feelings that are rather paranoid, feeling like people "know" or are "looking at him like they know".   But he is also saved by what he feels for Jack and by doing what he can to stay with Jack inspite of his fears.  Had he never known Jack, he might never have known love, he might never have known how loveable he is and the web of knots in his heart, his sadness, fear and isolation might have remained all his life. 

I believe that the realization of Jack's love for him will be enough to free him, carry him through the rest of his life and maybe even make it possible to love again later on.   I like to think that at least, because I really like Ennis and want to imagine him getting better.   He deserves better in life...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:12:39 am by Rayn »

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2006, 06:15:10 pm »
I... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Um. I mean, I just watched the movie again after about a six week break.

Aw, f***.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2006, 06:30:31 pm »
I... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Um. I mean, I just watched the movie again after about a six week break.

Aw, f***.

Yeah, me too, watched it last week, after a break of about a month......

Still tugs at my gut.....but after it was over I went back and replayed over and over, the reunion scene.....i still cant get over how powerful that was......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2006, 06:31:35 pm »
I hear ya.   I have watched my DVD a few times, but seldom the entire thing in one sitting anymore.    I just want to turn it off befe the last lake scene.  

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2006, 04:02:45 pm »
Bump for people who see the movie for the first time on HBO, and maybe haven't managed to cry yet...

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2006, 05:31:42 pm »
I watched it again on Friday (dvd), and for the first time, the flashback scene hit me most. I wonder why it never did before (but I can guess: I am VEEEERYYYY good at lying to myself, albeit involuntarily).

I have grasped the full meaning of BBM as far as I am concerned now. I need to act on it this time  :-\

Welcome to those who have just discovered BBM or have just been hit in a major, irreversible way!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2006, 05:44:37 pm »
Oh Mel, look what you did to me  :'(
It's eight months now for me. Eight months! But the tears keep coming....

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2006, 08:30:43 pm »

Then I got all choked up during the "Sometimes I miss you so much..." scene and again and again, I've lost it during the lakeside confrontation. That scene kills me.  quote]

this one has got to be the saddest......

I sometimes think of the contrasts in Jack's ways, from in the beginning, when he was a bit of a smart arse, "you gonna stand round here tying knots all day" and "aint no filly ever thrown me".....I think he thought these things might impress Ennis, but realized they didnt, and so became normal, and not afraid to show his short comings to Ennis....and he was right.....it wasnt all that bull shit that made Ennis love him.....it seemed Jack became careful with his words, scared he might frighten Enis off if he became too serious....but then finally, he said it...."sometimes I miss you so much......"....just a few words, but it showed his complete weakness for the love and frustration he was feeling.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection