Author Topic: which scene made you cry ?  (Read 23298 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: which scene made you cry ?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:45 pm »
I think I keep watching the movie in the hopes that someday it will end differently.
I know.

(Confession: I used to be a bit amused by people who went to see Titanic over and over in hopes that Jack wouldn't die at the end. I stilll might not be a fan of Titanic, but I can sympathize with the actions!

Of course, I did go to see Return of the King over and over in hopes that Frodo wouldn't sail away at the end...)

Slayers: OMG. Seeing BBM while pregnant. Your wife has my sympathy. Geez, just seeing the lambs at the beginning would have set me off when I was pregnant.  Seeing Jack pet the dog would have set me off.

Amanda: It was the moment right after the flashback scene, watching Jack watch Ennis drive away, that completely tore me up one time. I just thought: and that's the last time we're going to see him.

Tell you what, though, I cry at a different time every time I watch it. The shirts actually don't make me cry now. It's as if... maybe I've only got so many tears I can cry for each thing. Or maybe I only cry when I first realize that a scene is sad, and when I'm anticipating the sadness I can deal with it. (I'll probably cry when Ennis jokes about the harmonica next time. I don't think I've cried about that yet.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 11:50:46 pm »
(I'll probably cry when Ennis jokes about the harmonica next time. I don't think I've cried about that yet.)

LOL, naky. Maybe the thread should be "what is the more unexpected scene you have cried at?"

Has anybody mentioned the pie scene? That one is also wrenching.

Maybe it should be a poll. What scene is saddest? Even then I don't know which one I'd pick. The last scene, I suppose, because everything else builds up to it. But then again, the turning point scenes -- such as the post-divorce scene -- are also devastating.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 03:57:36 pm »
Well, in last night's viewing, the catalyst was Jack's saying, "So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain.  Everything's built on that, boy.  Fucking all."  That line alone has never done it for me before.  But after 11 previous viewings (but who's counting? ;)), for some reason, the thought that as far as Jack is concerned, Ennis has never really gotten any further than he had that summer just stabbed me in the heart.
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 05:15:38 pm »
Since I think I've cried at every scene so far, I have a new thing now.
I scream at the screen.. yep.

The reunion scene:  Go back in the house, Ennis.  Save yourself 20 yrs of heartache.
The lake scene:   Don't say it Jack, he won't answer you.
Later on in the lake scene:  Don't let him drive off, Jack.  You need him to save you.

Well you get the picture... I need a life ::)
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 05:33:22 pm »
The 2nd Tent scene always gets me.  They say very little, just I'm sorry from Ennis and It's alright, It's alright from Jack...But the silence speaks volumes...they don't need words...we all know that kind of communication rarley happens and comes out of total surrender to the other person...
no words, but the looks on both their faces...omg....i just melt every time i see it...Ennis just looks so fractured, but relieved and so "at home"...Jack looks happy, and so much in love...
just gets me every time....BUT of course its not the ONLY one, just one of many!!)

Gay
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:23:48 am by maggiesmommy »
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 05:51:28 pm »
Well you get the picture... I need a life ::)

Don't we all, DeeDee! ::)

I agree with all your reactions but one. Would you really advise Ennis to go back in the house? (Personally, I would advise Ennis to save himself 20 years of heartbreak by MOVING OUT OF the house!) But also, IMO he's better off having a wonderful long-distance relationship than no wonderful relationship at all.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 11:17:58 pm »
I swear, I didn't know I was going to get into this again, but...

Can I just come into this thread and bawl?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(Usual places, but this time I had stuff dripping off my chin from the dozy embrace to the end of the credits. I need to rehydrate now. And blow my nose.)

(And I pleaded with Jack to turn around when he started crying in the truck, after the divorce. And when they left at the end of the summer, I told Ennis to say... something, anything, to acknowledge Jack's "can we see each other again?" look. And I told them to just kiss already during the tussle that turned into the punch.)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 11:39:09 pm »
I swear, I didn't know I was going to get into this again, but...

Can I just come into this thread and bawl?

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(Usual places, but this time I had stuff dripping off my chin from the dozy embrace to the end of the credits. I need to rehydrate now. And blow my nose.)

(And I pleaded with Jack to turn around when he started crying in the truck, after the divorce. And when they left at the end of the summer, I told Ennis to say... something, anything, to acknowledge Jack's "can we see each other again?" look. And I told them to just kiss already during the tussle that turned into the punch.)

I applaud your efforts nakymaton!  I wish they had listened to at least one of your suggestions.
 :'(

I get mad that the "confusing tussle" doesn't turn into a kiss too.  The worst part is that right before Ennis slugs Jack you can see Jack is doing that "caress the jaw-line" thing that is usually his sign that a kiss is coming.  They shouldn't have wasted these last moments together.  How does Ennis end up with the bloody nose anyway.  I know that in the story it says he bangs into Jack's knee by accident... but it's not so clear in the movie.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 09:34:09 am »
  How does Ennis end up with the bloody nose anyway.  I know that in the story it says he bangs into Jack's knee by accident... but it's not so clear in the movie.

Yeah, I've watched closely to try to figure that out and never quite succeeded.

Here's the scene that makes me especially cry these days (or at least launches the tears that pretty much pour from then on til the end of the movie): the dozy embrace flashback. I know it's supposed to be sweet and nice, but for me it's not -- partly because of its mid-argument context, partly because it shows how wonderful things could have been, partly because it's the last time we see Jack, partly because of the sweet music, partly because of the kettle and coffee pot together on the grill, partly because of the finality of Ennis' "gotta go, see you in the morning" and then riding off without looking back ... in a way, it's like watching their fates being sealed.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 10:09:10 am »
I get mad that the "confusing tussle" doesn't turn into a kiss too.  The worst part is that right before Ennis slugs Jack you can see Jack is doing that "caress the jaw-line" thing that is usually his sign that a kiss is coming.  They shouldn't have wasted these last moments together.

Oh, I know! And murmuring "It's all right..." at the same time. Ennis!!! Don't punch him this time!!!! Just let him kiss you, please!!!  :'(

You know, I don't think Jack could possibly have done anything to calm Ennis in that scene. He tried nonchalant. He tried flirtaceous. He tried gentle. But Ennis was just too confused and torn apart for any response to have worked.

How does Ennis end up with the bloody nose anyway.  I know that in the story it says he bangs into Jack's knee by accident... but it's not so clear in the movie.

I'm not sure, either. I think Ennis's nose connects with Jack's elbow while they're rolling around, but it goes by so fast.