Author Topic: which scene made you cry ?  (Read 23339 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: which scene made you cry ?
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 02:28:20 pm »
Hi Chris!   Yes, it is my first time.    I haven't watched the whole thing yet.   I missed y'all and had to come back!    ;D

Its good....I want to know what you think as soon as you finish it!  PM me or something...

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2006, 12:30:07 pm »
Its good....I want to know what you think as soon as you finish it! 

Hi Chris!

I just finished watching it.   Pretty good movie!     Worth it just to see Jake shake his ass in that Santa outfit!    Ha ha ha!

But seriously, I thought it was very intense.   Jake was very good.  Hell, they all were.  And yes, I got choked up at the ending.   

David

Offline David

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »
Yep you and me both.  When Jack is driving up to see Ennis, totally unanounced, so happy, singing away, by the time he leaves he is completly devastated, and so am I. 

Oh yeah.  That is a heart breaking scene.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2006, 01:33:38 am »
I relate - of course - to most here.

I have cried as the RiverRoad logo car comes down the winding road.  As Ennis jumps out of the semi with his little bag.  As Ennis comes riding up to Jack taking the tent down. As Jack is saying, "You're not gonna get this from your Caddie!"  At Ennis's tears in the divorce court room.  As Jack pulls up so happy post-divorce.   Watching Ennis stand there after Jack drives away post-divorce.  As they are silently riding through the water after Thanksgiving.  As Jack says, "Tell you what, truth is sometimes..."

I have been furious when he says, "Well, see you round, hunh?"  When Ennis has to listen to the homophobic joke on the radio while packing to leave for a fishin' trip.  After Jack says the previously montioned "Sometimes I miss you..." and Ennis says absolutely nothing. 

And I also finally completely realized that I see BBM expecting/hoping that this time it will end different, like Groundhog Day.  When Ennis still says, "See you round,"  I just can't fuckin believe he is still makming the same devastating mistake.  Didn't he learn from the last twenty times?

Offline David

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 08:53:45 am »
.  After Jack says the previously montioned "Sometimes I miss you..." and Ennis says absolutely nothing. 

That is the real ass kicker for me!     I want to scream "Ennis you lunkhead!  SAY SOMETHING!"   :'(

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2006, 02:20:20 pm »
That posted photo is from where Ennis stops talking to look at the passing truck, and jack follows his gaze..

I love Jarhead...you gotta listen to the "specials" where Mendes told Jake when the interviewer talks to Swoff,   to be honest (to his charact--without the Mendes voice over--is THAT a gas!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 10:00:47 pm »
 :'( :( :'( :( :'(

So, here's what's killing me lately.  The phone call to Lureen.  The sound of Ennis's voice through the phone (what we can hear from Lureen's end) for some reason gets me all choked up.  Ennis's little "back in 63" line and his "we was good friends" kill me.  The under statement of "we was good friends" is just such a tragedy.  It reminds me of the line during the Lightning Flat scene when Ennis says something like "I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel."  That's so honest and so sad!  He has no one to grieve with in the most complete, open and honest sense.

:'( :( :'( :( :'(
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 11:51:10 pm »
He has no one to grieve with in the most complete, open and honest sense.

Now you're making ME cry! That is one of the saddest things -- not only did he lack any fellow grievers, he had to (or felt he had to) hide his own grief. I am wishing, as I have so many times, that Ennis had the internet -- we'd be there for him! (I also wish that those crying icons came in graduating stages of crying, so that a line of them would trace the whole progression from :) to  :-\ to :( to  :'(

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 01:56:58 am »
One of the many scenes that get me going is the dozy embrace.  During a special moment in the music, Jack rolls his head forward and then to his right, seemingly to brush his face against Ennis's right arm.  I then remember in the book how Jack wanted to face Ennis, but knew he couldn't then.  I saw it as Jacks way of caressing or holding Ennis.  The music is perfect at that moment, so tender and loving.
Adrian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:04:23 am by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2006, 03:05:31 am »
There are many tender moments in the movie for me. 

The first that struck a watershed of tears is the second tent scene, Ennis finally giving into to his longing and the loneliness of years melting away in Jack's embrace.  That moves me.  I don't know why except that I know how that feels.

I cried for Alma when she sees Ennis leaving to go "fishing" the first time.  She is in so much heartbreaking panic, feeling that Ennis is abandoning her for "a man".   Her dread of losing him and her confusion is very painful.  She is a good woman and loves him.  I felt for her.

After the divorce, when Jack drove up all the way from Texas thinking Ennis would finally start a life with him only to have that joyful hope crushed.  That too hurt deeply.

The last time Ennis and Jack are together, their argument, Jack's frustration and revelation of how hard it gets, Ennis’ honesty, his break down and collapse.  The scene is bitterly hard because one knows things probably won't change.  Jack's memory of his "ideal moment with Ennis" juxtaposed with the grim look on his face as he watches Ennis drive off.  The whole situation is overwhelmingly sad.

But for me, the killer is when Ennis finds his shirt in the closet with Jack's after Jack is gone.  For me, there was nothing more painful or sad than when he holds the shirts, tries to inhale some scent of Jack.  As I have said in other posts, I did the exact same thing when I lost someone.  That scene really broke me up and probably always will. 

I am trying, these days, to think of the humor in the movie too.  It does balance the grief and I'm glad it's there.  I try to remind myself that they did have a 20 year friendship/romance that was as good as they were able to make it.  Some never have anything close to that and everything comes to an end in life. 

I am thankful for friends I have in my life, for the loves, great and small that I've had throughout my time.   To remain open to love, both in giving and receiving it; that's the key to a full and happy life.   I try always to remind myself of that.

Peace,
Rayn