Author Topic: Black Hats, White Hats  (Read 61023 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Black Hats, White Hats
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15:16 pm »
What a poetic theory, Penth.  I like it.  It's like all the rest of the color of Ennis' life runs out of him when Jack dies.  He goes from the brown of the earth to the gray of the rock beneath.

I still see it as Ennis going directly from the bus station/diner to the post office to the phone booth all on the same day.  When you watched it again, Katherine, did you get this sense, too?  I can see where he'd go to Lightning Flat on a different day - he'd have to look up the Twists and arrange a visit with them beforehand after all.  But those three other things seem to take place in succession to me in the movie, anyway.
No more beans!

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2006, 03:39:55 pm »
So I was going out on a first date once and couldn't decide on my white straw or black felt hat.  Buddy tells me...If you wear white straw, it sends the message - "F*ck me till the cows come home" and the black felt says, "Are you cowboy enough to bend over my tailgate?"
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

TJ

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 04:21:01 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, DecaturTxCowboy!

I am going to see how you respond to my own posts on BetterMost, Good Buddy!

Folks, while the "DecaturTxCowboy" and I have never met in person, we do have lots of online communication about discussions elsewhere on the internet about BbM.

I do like his on topic sense of humor, too.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2006, 05:22:41 pm »
What a poetic theory, Penth.  I like it.  It's like all the rest of the color of Ennis' life runs out of him when Jack dies.  He goes from the brown of the earth to the gray of the rock beneath.

I still see it as Ennis going directly from the bus station/diner to the post office to the phone booth all on the same day.  When you watched it again, Katherine, did you get this sense, too?  I can see where he'd go to Lightning Flat on a different day - he'd have to look up the Twists and arrange a visit with them beforehand after all.  But those three other things seem to take place in succession to me in the movie, anyway.

Barb, I've always assumed they happened on different days. Either of us could be right, I guess (let's check to see if the shirt under the jacket changes to find out for sure!).

OK, so I just watched the movie for the first time in two months, obsessively keeping an eye on shirts throughout. I have reached the conclusion that you're both right. The gray jacket is about Jack dying, but it's also about what Ennis is feeling. Here's why:

I think the color of the shirts and jackets, their style, and even the number of layers that Ennis and Jack wear almost ALWAYS mean something. Others have commented on some of this stuff elsewhere, particularly in that long-ago color thread -- that came early in my Brokeback career and it was too much detail for me to absorb at that point, so I only skimmed it. Hope this isn't too repetitive.

Now up on Brokeback, Ennis usually wears a tan coat when he's pulling away from Jack somehow -- the day they meet, when he's shy, the day after the first tent scene, when he's freaked out. He usually wears just a shirt when he's moving toward Jack -- working together to set up camp, shooting the elk. Usually the shirt is Ennis' color, tan. There are some exceptions (and a few times I forgot to notice), but that's the usual pattern. In the first tent scene, Ennis is wearing the tan jacket, but this is a transition moment for Ennis. Jack is ready to get closer to Ennis, so he takes HIS jacket off. In TS2, they've both moved another step toward each other: Ennis in just a shirt, and Jack in no shirt at all, still a step ahead of Ennis. Neither is wearing a shirt in the happy tussle -- they're equally happily into each other. Ennis and Jack are both wearing just a shirt in the angry tussle, obviously, but by the time they get back to town ther're both in jackets, separated.

During their four years apart, Ennis wears blue -- denim jacket or print shirt -- in just about every scene; a bright blue print shirt, for example, when he's spreading tar and thinking about Jack (I remember someone pointing out his blue cap in the sledding scene). Jack wears blue, too. Again, exceptions, such as Ennis in the bedroom with Alma -- but then SHE'S wearing a light blue nightgown, as if a pale substitute for Jack.

For the reunion, Ennis wears his nice blue-striped shirt. Jack is wearing a jacket -- Ennis is actually a step ahead of Jack, for a change. In the motel, no shirts for either, they're totally together. When Ennis packs for camping, he throws in all blue-plaid shirts. When they first get to the campsite: no clothes at all! Can't get much more together than that! But in the "you know it could be like this always" scene, Ennis is back in the tan jacket, pulling away. (As others have noted, in the Earl flashback, nine-year-old Ennis is wearing the famous plaid-and-denim pairing).

The pattern continues most of the time until the divorce. Ennis wears a denim jacket when away from Jack but presumably thinking about him, such as when throwing hay off the truck. Jack wears a purple shirt when he's looking for his blue parka and talking to Lureen (others have pointed out that red is Lureen's color, and that this shirt indicates a Jack/Lureen mix. Sometimes Alma wears a dull red, too, such as when she spots Ennis and Jack in the stairwell, and at Thanksgiving dinner). Both Jack and Ennis wear beige down jackets at some point; I have no idea what that means.

Then the post-divorce scene. Ennis wears that really heavy tan corduroy jacket -- a thick layer between them. Jack is wearing (what? black leather jacket?). The big news here is that FROM THIS POINT ON, Jack almost always wears gray or black. As if Jack metaphorically died at that point (a la Jake's comment).

Ennis wears blue when he's alone or with Cassie (missing Jack) and tan when he's with Jack (pulling away). He's confused: always inclined to movel in the opposite direction. (Cassie, incidentally, wears a blue denim jacket on their date with Alma Jr.) At the lake scene, Jack is wearing a tan parka (indicating he still has a connection with Ennis? note the lining is even darker brown) over a muddy-grayish-blue shirt (death). Ennis is in the heavy tan jacket, STILL pulling away. In the dozy embrace, both are wearing heavy jackets. Your guess is as good as mine: maybe a harbinger of their lifelong separation?

Then the pie/Cassie scene. As we've noted, FROM THIS POINT ON, Ennis never wears tan again. Like Jack earlier, he now always always always wears gray, the jacket buttoned almost all the way up over a light shirt. This is why I agree with Penthesilea that Jack literally died around this time and, though still unaware of it, Ennis metaphorically mourns with his clothing.

In the last scene with Alma Jr., Ennis is wearing the gray jacket over a light DENIM shirt. Mourning, but keeping Jack close to his heart.

And when he opens his closet shrine, in addition to the famous shirts there's a blue-plaid shirt hanging from closet pole (and a red-plaid shirt -- not sure why; because both wives sometimes wear red, maybe this indicates Ennis has come to think of himself and Jack as life partners? I can't imagine Ennis actually wearing the red plaid).

What do you think? I may be reaching a bit for some of these, I know. But I'm sure there's something there.

UPDATE: I just copied most of this post onto the color coordination thread over at CT. It seemed very on-topic there, and a bit OT here.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 05:30:08 pm by latjoreme »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 06:26:10 pm »
Wow, Katherine.  [Ellemeno sings, "Did you ever know that you're my hero?"]  That's fantastic.  Thank you so much.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 09:27:25 pm »
Having just finished a story whidh ends with the beginning of BBM (hands off, please!), I put the first 5 minutes under a microscope...and this least fashion-conscious person discovered that Ennis, when we first see him, is a symphony in brown: his hair, his eyes, his boots, his bag, his canvas jacket (this later appears quite light, but in front of Aguirre's, it's distrinctly light brown), belt, and the narrow braid around the base of the crown of his hat--whcih appears off-white in this scene, though sometimes white (as when he watches Jack ride away from camp after having so much trouble getting his horse pointed in the right diredction). His jeans are of course blue, and his shirt is white withl a ight blue pattern. In my story, his appearance registers with Jack as "a beautiful Brown Man--not his skin; everything else." 

It's amazing, with Ennis's apparent imperviousness to cold--an almst unbroiken series of canvas jackets, with one foray into corderoy--he should nearly freeze to death the night of the first tent scene. Poor guy...

As for the "boys like you," Proulx has the thought in Ennis's mind "Mexico was theplace, he had heard"...but he doesn't express it so crudely. Jack's brave and solid response is just one more reason to love Jack...

I have to go to work, just like I did four hours ago and didn't...or the Asain Art Museuim is going to dashboard me...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2006, 12:25:57 am »
Thanks, Elle! And Julie, about the cold, you're right -- their choice of shirts vs. jackets often seem unrelated to the weather. For instance, the night of TS2, when it's presumably still cold, Ennis wears no jacket because he is taking that step toward Jack.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2006, 05:13:26 am »
latjoreme:

wow, so many good thoughts in one post. You really watched very intensly yesterday, didn't you?

Ennis wearing brown when with Jack, but wearing blue (Jack's colour) when apart from him - that's a good obversation. I had noticed that Ennis wears blue, often too, but didn't recognise that he (almost?) only wears it when apart fom Jack.
Makes perfect sense.

Barb and latj:

For the time-line of the last scenes from pie scene on:
Barb, I've always assumed they happened on different days. Either of us could be right, I guess (let's check to see if the shirt under the jacket changes to find out for sure!).

This is quite ot here. So I will start a new thread: Timeline for the last cenes.

Edit: It's here: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1371.0

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:32:20 am by Penthesilea »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2006, 09:15:47 am »
You really watched very intensly yesterday, didn't you?

Thanks, Penth. Tell you what, when you go two months without seeing it, but spend about five hours a day of those two months discussing it here and about 18 hours a day thinking about it, when you finally do see it you watch pretty intensely.

Actually, though, I'm kind of surprised that, given that we've found so much meaning in coffee pots and Elk signs and snow and moons and pickup trucks, and given what a huge powerful symbol TWO of the shirts are, I never thought to take a closer look at ALL of them before. I just kept thinking, Hmmm! Ennis looks cute in that gray shirt; wonder why he never wore that earlier? It was Barb who pointed out there might be more to it than a random outfit choice.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2006, 09:35:41 am »
All I can do is echo Clarissa's sentiments and say Wow, Katherine.  And thank you.  I think you're right on in every one of your observations.  The only one I can add is this:

When Jack returns to Aguirre's trailer the next summer looking for Ennis, he is wearing four layers - a white T-shirt, a *plaid* shirt (though a nearly solid one) - the only one he wears in the entire movie, a *red* zip-up sweater or sweatshirt zipped up about halfway, and a heavy brown, I believe, coat.  I've always thought of this as symbolizing his vulnerability to Aguirre - he knows deep down that he probably saw them - maybe doesn't think of it consciously until he says so, but metaphorically layers himself for protection and wears the one plaid shirt in the whole thing because it's the one time he feels uncomfortable about his own sexuality.

Have I mentioned yet today how much I love this movie?
No more beans!