Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115522 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 09:23:27 pm »
OMG, so true.  A lot of annoying things are generally recognized as annoying and therefore not done by most adults (e.g. nose picking).   But a lot of the same people have no compunction about spitting.  Eeeew!  (Like, at least spit into the garbage or bushes or somewhere out of plain sight....   :P)

UGH!! Spitting is so nasty to me. Small town here---I go to the same gas station all the time---why do guys spit right on the concrete??? I think--can't they just swallow instead of spitting where I might step in it?? It's disgusting.

A couple of days ago I was walking from the parking lot to go into a small store in town. I saw a little boy--about 7 or 8--open the door just a bit, spit, and go back in. I was so hacked---then I saw that he spit out a big wad of gum---smack dab in the doorway. OMG.

So I knew that gum was there. When I left, the door caught it and pushed it back. That little sucker -- I'm just happy I didn't step in the gum.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 03:27:40 pm »
I have to add lying also. I'm very honest and have found I have to curb that, watch what I tell people. I will not lie except to protect myself. There are times when that is absolutely necessary.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 02:34:56 pm »
There are just too many to name.  I'm REALLY surprised that homophobia and bad drivers are not listed and tall/short people are???  I hate homophobes as much as racists and murderers, but whats wrong with tall or short people??

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 02:37:22 pm »
Dropping the letter "T" drives me round the bend!  My daughter's started doing it and I find myself correcting her constantly ... just like my mum used to do to me!!!  I knew I was turning into my mother! 

She'll say "I'm off to see ma ma'e Ka'ie, see ya la'er", and I reply "Who's Ka'ie?" ... "ah Shu' up mum!"

It make me want to pull my hair outtttttttt!!

Susie 

This is the first time I heard someone talk that way and yes, it does sound kind of annoying.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 03:24:54 pm »
Dropping the letter "T" drives me round the bend!  My daughter's started doing it and I find myself correcting her constantly ... just like my mum used to do to me!!!  I knew I was turning into my mother! 

She'll say "I'm off to see ma ma'e Ka'ie, see ya la'er", and I reply "Who's Ka'ie?" ... "ah Shu' up mum!"

Susie 

This almost sounds like she's developing a Cockney accent Susie. Don't they often drop the "t" sound in East London?

Anyway, I drive my out of town relatives nuts because I tend to stick an "r" sound where it doesn't belong. I say "warsh" instead of "wash". I also pronounce the short "u" sound differently in certain words. I say "poosh" instead of "push". But these are typical Indiana speech patterns, so it's not MY fault!  ;)

Susie, you're daughter's accent sounds charming. I'm wondering if this might be a fad some kids are doing over there right now, and it's considered cool to speak with a Cockney accent? Maybe she'll stop doing it when she gets a bit older, but it sounds very cute to me!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 03:44:06 pm »

Susie 

Sounds like the gecko from the Geico car insurance commercials. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 08:35:30 am »
There are just too many to name.  I'm REALLY surprised that homophobia and bad drivers are not listed and tall/short people are???  I hate homophobes as much as racists and murderers, but whats wrong with tall or short people??

My response earlier in this thread (#6) reads, "I'm uncomfortable around bigots and homophobes. And by extension, I'm also uncomfortable around evangelical fundamentalist Christians."
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 08:55:32 am »
My response earlier in this thread (#6) reads, "I'm uncomfortable around bigots and homophobes. And by extension, I'm also uncomfortable around evangelical fundamentalist Christians."

Hear, hear.   >:(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 05:46:42 am »
1)  People who say some equivalent of "How you doing?" as they whiz by.  How rude is it to ask that question with no intention of pausing to hear the answer.  That's been a huge pet peeve of mine for decades.

2)  When people ask a question because they really want the answer to a whole other question.  This happens a lot.  Something like,

"Did Janet like the beach cabin?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Well, is she going back this weekend?"
"I don't know.  Why?"
"Well, I was wondering if she's going to go to the movie with you."
"I don't know.  Why?"
"Well, if she's going, are you going to ride with her?"
"I don't know yet, why?"
"Well, I want to  go pick up my stuff at the dry cleaner, and I was wondering if I could use the car that day."
%%Then why was your question about whether Janet liked the beach cabin??%%

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:55 pm »

Pet peeves???  OMG......don't get me started. 

People who drive slow in the left lane, i.e. the passing lane.  I believe I saw a death penalty poll here.  Driving slow in the left lane should be considered one of the "certain extreme crimes".  If they would just put their cell phones down.........

BTW........babies shouldn't even be allowed in movie theaters.