Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115508 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2009, 10:58:59 pm »
???

She's feeding her baby.  Why is that 'no one else's business' and an 'intimate' thing?

So if you're eating or you're feeding your child a hamburger or bowl of cereal, are you going to go somewhere private since it's no one else's business when someone else is eating?

Looks like a plain-jane everyday thing to me.  And they do it many times per day.

Perhaps if society let them do it whenever their child needed to be fed, there would be less of these rosy ideas of 'intimate moments' for something as dirt-common as feeding a hungry child.

Well I can't speak for the others but the reason it feels awkward to me is because a woman's breasts are a very personal and private thing. Society teaches us this. And I always feel awkward looking in a general direction where a woman's breasts are exposed, or may be exposed. So I avert my eyes. If I am looking in her general direction she may think I am staring at her. And if she thought I was, how would she react? What would she think? So I do everything in my power to give her and the baby their privacy.

But that's just me.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2009, 11:08:46 pm »
???

She's feeding her baby.  Why is that 'no one else's business' and an 'intimate' thing?

So if you're eating or you're feeding your child a hamburger or bowl of cereal, are you going to go somewhere private since it's no one else's business when someone else is eating?

Looks like a plain-jane everyday thing to me.  And they do it many times per day.

Perhaps if society let them do it whenever their child needed to be fed, there would be less of these rosy ideas of 'intimate moments' for something as dirt-common as feeding a hungry child.

If you think a mother nursing her child from her own breast is equivalent to anyone, adult or child, eating a hamburger, you and I clearly have no further or common grounds to discuss this topic.

Nursing a child is "dirt-common"? That's just coarse.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2009, 11:10:12 pm »
The women didn't do that to their breasts on purpose to gross you out.  :-\

And your point would be?

I never said they did. I merely explained why women's breasts are not "sexualized" to me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2009, 11:11:44 pm »
Well I can't speak for the others but the reason it feels awkward to me is because a woman's breasts are a very personal and private thing. Society teaches us this. And I always feel awkward looking in a general direction where a woman's breasts are exposed, or may be exposed. So I avert my eyes. If I am looking in her general direction she may think I am staring at her. And if she thought I was, how would she react? What would she think? So I do everything in my power to give her and the baby their privacy.

But that's just me.

Apparently you and I both labor under "rosy ideas," David.  :-\

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2009, 11:46:33 pm »
If you think a mother nursing her child from her own breast is equivalent to anyone, adult or child, eating a hamburger, you and I clearly have no further or common grounds to discuss this topic.

Um, yeah it is.  Guess you haven't been around many nursing mothers have you?  That would be the common ground you're apparently unfamiliar with.  Yes, nursing mothers sit around, shooting the shit while their babies grope their breasts and suckle.  It's quite normal.

Nursing a child is "dirt-common"? That's just coarse.

"Coarse"?  It's just an expression to mean extremely common.  Like dirt is ubiquitous.

Ever been to 3rd world nations?  Breast-feeding is done anywhere and everywhere, women whip it out and it's done.  And the men of those countries - who are not gay - are not so caught up with the whole "breast fetish" that men in this country are.  Wonder why?

injest

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:51 pm »
Um, yeah it is.  Guess you haven't been around many nursing mothers have you?  That would be the common ground you're apparently unfamiliar with.  Yes, nursing mothers sit around, shooting the shit while their babies grope their breasts and suckle.  It's quite normal.

"Coarse"?  It's just an expression to mean extremely common.  Like dirt is ubiquitous.

Ever been to 3rd world nations?  Breast-feeding is done anywhere and everywhere, women whip it out and it's done.  And the men of those countries - who are not gay - are not so caught up with the whole "breast fetish" that men in this country are.  Wonder why?

maybe because women in those countries dont' try to have it both ways? women in this country wear pushup bras and low cut tops to attract attention sexually, then get flabbergasted that men start thinking breasts are sex objects.  ::) ::)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »
maybe because women in those countries dont' try to have it both ways? women in this country wear pushup bras and low cut tops to attract attention sexually, then get flabbergasted that men start thinking breasts are sex objects.  ::) ::)

It's kinda the other way around, isn't it?  Why do women with push-up bras and low cut tops get  attention?  I think it's because it's not a very common sight - breasts are usually covered up most of the time.  And so when they finally get unveiled, straight men go gaga.

Like way back in the day, when women wore dresses down to the ground - all the time.  The sight of a woman's ankle was enough to bring down entire civilizations due to the sexual licentiousness of it all.

Majority of the sexiness comes from the forbidden fruit thing.  The less one has/sees of something, the more it is desired.

injest

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2009, 11:09:36 pm »
It's kinda the other way around, isn't it?  Why do women with push-up bras and low cut tops get  attention?  I think it's because it's not a very common sight - breasts are usually covered up most of the time.  And so when they finally get unveiled, straight men go gaga.

Like way back in the day, when women wore dresses down to the ground - all the time.  The sight of a woman's ankle was enough to bring down entire civilizations due to the sexual licentiousness of it all.

Majority of the sexiness comes from the forbidden fruit thing.  The less one has/sees of something, the more it is desired.

whichever, if you think I am gonna advocate women going topless to try to retrain men, you gonna be waiting a while.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2009, 08:45:00 am »
whichever, if you think I am gonna advocate women going topless to try to retrain men, you gonna be waiting a while.

Heh, no I was only going to encourage breastfeeding in public, nudity on beaches (for everyone men included).  Otherwise things are going to keep going the way they are, with only younger and younger women being the only ones "alllowed" to be seen half-dressed.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2009, 11:10:18 am »
As the psychiatrist said to the baby on the couch, "Enough about breasts."

(To add in a Brokieism here, I guess some of us are not reassured about fecundity and life's continuance!)

What are some other pet peeves??  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:44:46 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"