Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115530 times)

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2018, 09:10:22 am »
kids of that age should be taken to a park to ride, not on a sidewalk.

Well, I don't blame their parents for that. For one thing, they might want to stay near their house for any number of reasons. Also, taking them to the park to ride would mean loading the bike(s) into the car, which might be a hassle or, depending on the size of the car, impossible. And some of the kids actually are on their way to the park.

My neighborhood is extremely residential. It's in the city, but it's single-family homes with yards and the traffic is light. If I lived in a neighborhood with denser development and traffic it would be different.

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »
It's a funny case with cyclists, because I tend to shift my standpoint depending on whether I'm driving or riding my bike  ::)

Despite being designed in increasing numbers, separate cycle paths are still a rarity in my city (there's simply not enough space to squeeze them in between the road and the sidewalk), so most cyclists end up riding right alongside the main traffic on the road. And I'd be totally ok with that if they kept close to the kerb and weren't so unpredictable! And by 'unpredictable' I mean suddenly making a dart in front of my car because they want to turn left.

Frankly, although riding your bike on the sidewalk is technically illegal (unless you're under 10 and accompanied by an adult), sometimes I'd much prefer it if cyclists mounted that kerb and carried on on the sidewalk, provided there are few or no pedestrians there. That way, they wouldn't hold up the traffic.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:53 pm »
Pet peeve of mine, wasting food.

I have a coworker that must've been denied food as a kid, because anytime we have an event that is catered at work, she loads up her plate, and stashes it in her cubicle.  Sometimes the food will last  her for three meals.

I just look at her and think:  "others may have wanted that food that day, but didn't have it because you were so greedy."

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:26 am »
I just noticed this was a poll! So I read the options, and I guess now those options are my pet peeve.

Many are gross bodily functions, so OK, I guess those kind of qualify.

But short people? Fat people? If other people's body types are your pet peeve, then YOU are my pet peeve. How are those any of your business? (When I say "you" I mean any random person -- not anyone here, including dot-matrix, who started the thread.)

On the other end, racists?? George Bush (2018 version: Donald Trump)?? If you consider racism or a bad president a "pet peeve," you are also my pet peeve. Those are much bigger deals than a peeve!

Nothing about incorrect grammar or bicycle traffic or lunch stealing. Those are legitimate pet peeves.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2018, 06:30:32 pm »
Criticizing what other people watch on tv.  LOL

We have a TV at work, and sometimes someone will mention a show they watch, and others will say 'Ugh, how can you watch that?  Such an awful show!"

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2018, 08:06:04 pm »
We have a TV at work.

You're allowed to watch television at work?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2018, 06:12:05 pm »
It's in the kitchen, so unless you're in that room to eat, you can't see it.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2018, 11:10:55 am »
Criticizing what other people watch on tv.  LOL

We have a TV at work, and sometimes someone will mention a show they watch, and others will say 'Ugh, how can you watch that?  Such an awful show!"

There are TVs all over the place where I work, and people are free to watch them. Of course, it's a newspaper. And the TVs are tuned to news shows. We're also welcome -- encouraged, even -- to go on Facebook and Twitter and other social media.

Back on topic, I don't so much mind differences of opinion on specific shows, though I agree it's really rude to put down anything somebody just said they liked. "I could never really get into that one," or "too violent for me" or whatever is OK -- the difference being it doesn't trash the whole show, just says it's not to that person's taste.

But what I hate most are people who, when you mention some TV show, self-righteously declare that they don't watch TV at all or don't own a TV.

This used to really annoy me back in the days when there weren't that many great shows, though there were some that even the anti-TV snobs would probably enjoy: Ken Burns' series, for example. But try telling them that. They like to congratulate themselves on being intellectually and culturally superior to couch potatoes who let the trash-filled idiot box rot their brains.

But nowadays when I hear someone say it? My annoyance is mixed with pity because they're missing so much. I think there's a lot on TV now that's better than the vast majority of movies. Now those people are smug and condescending in a really ignorant and pathetic way.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »
I hear you, Katherine! Lately I've been reading articles in The New Yorker on television and making a list of programs I want to watch some day. One of these days, and soon, I will be tied down with a new baby granddaughter and can watch some shows, I hope. But now, I find myself either working into the evening, going out to join friends or do volunteer work, or working in the garden in the cool of the evening. In fact, my TV hasn't even been hooked up to receive cable TV. I can only watch DVDs on it. If I want to watch shows, I have to do it on my computer. I'm a bit behind. . .trying to make it through the second season of Grace and Frankie, but it's slow going.

I was reading about artificial intelligence in TNY, and piqued by a description of Westworld. Anthony Hopkins plays a cyborg in it? Right up my alley.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2018, 02:50:21 pm »
Your TV must be much better than ours. I would not be without it for the news but I am not interested in competition Cooking shows which seem to fill it and sorry but only English programs attract me. I cannot understand most American accents.  I cannot watch a movie because the adverts which break in every 10 minutes drive me to distraction.  I would much rather pay the $10 and see the movie in the Theatre. So I turn on the TV about 5.50pm and watch the end of the English Quiz program "The Chaser" then an hour of our National news followed by either the local news on our local city TV or the National Current affairs program but I am usually cooking my dinner at the same time. I rarely watch more than an hour afterwards and usually come back to my computer or go to bed (9pm). Sunday night there is often an English murder mystery "Endeavour", "Morse", "Lewis" or my favourite "Midsummer Murders" but last night there was none but a real docudrama about a court case from 1989 involving police corruption before I lived in NZ so all news to me. However it was only because I wanted to find the end that I lasted 2 hours through the adverts. I thought about coming to my computer and looking it up on wikipedia instead.
I do have one friend who is in his 80's and has no TV and no computer. Now that he cannot do much gardening, he spends most of his time in the University research library (he worked as a research assistant at the university but obviously a long time ago). He is in my Monday afternoon walking group.