Author Topic: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk  (Read 148737 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Female Thread-Men are welcome but enter at your own risk
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 11:48:43 pm »
I agree 100%, Amanda, about what a tough time that was...I was in 6th grade, so that made me 10 too.  I'm worried about a seeming overall trend for girls to start menstruating at earlier and earlier ages.  My mother was 15, I think she said.  I want to blame it on hormones in the food supply, but that may just be a conspiracy theory.  Anyhow I find it worrisome that children so young are maturing sexually when it just doesn't seem possible that they can have the emotional or social maturity needed for dealing with all the stuff that comes with it.

I remember I had to get my 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Shasteen, to convince my mother I was old enough for a bra.  The boys were merciless if they could see your nipples  through your shirt!  ::)  I still hold that one against Mom if the subject comes up!

I honestly don't even remember getting my first bra.  That seems kind of wierd since it often feels like such a big deal.  But, I *do* remember that old trick of kids snapping the bra strap against my back as a "prank."  So things were tough if you didn't have one and tough if you did!
 ::)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 12:00:40 am »
I honestly don't even remember getting my first bra.  That seems kind of wierd since it often feels like such a big deal.  But, I *do* remember that old trick of kids snapping the bra strap against my back as a "prank."  So things were tough if you didn't have one and tough if you did!
 ::)

Yep, Kirby the cute and entirely full-of-himself boy who sat behind me - it was his favorite pasttime.

I also had the cool communal menstrual cycles while living in the dorms - all of our suitemates were in sync.  I think it's the moon's fault, maybe, like the tides... ;)

Lee - sounds like you have a good sense of your femaleness.  I don't, myself, and I'm not sure why.  I don't have many of the stereotypical girl habits like shopping or shoes.  I only wear makeup when it seems pretty necessary.  I don't feel particularly nurturing or gentle or whatever.  This sounds bad in a mysanthropic way, but I think I've been proudest in my femininity at times when I've succeeded at male-dominated activities - getting my physics degree 2 of 10 were female my year; tae kwon do - I've almost reveled at those times and that seems a little bent to me.

I do remember the very first time I ovulated and felt it - was only a few months back.  I keep track of such things, and it felt so much like PMS that I decided early-onset menopause had set in.  :laugh: :laugh:

Now I've rationalized it that it's my body's biological clock ticking but there's no way I'll be listening to that anytime soon.  Thinking about that plastic surgery thread?  Maybe we need one 'To freeze or not to freeze (ova)?  ::) :D

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 12:03:36 am »
i was in 4th grade when i got my first bra.. it was size 32A.  I remember.. 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 12:07:22 am »
i was in 4th grade when i got my first bra.. it was size 32A.  I remember.. 

Cool beans - sounds like your parents were on the ball instead of Denialville with my Mom!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 12:12:50 am »
It was really embarrassing getting fitted for my first bra.. they tried it on over my shirt right in the store.. not the dressing room!   could you imagine?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 12:21:50 am »
Man, if we're not already in therapy, we prob'ly need to be.   ;D ;D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 01:00:33 am »
Man, if we're not already in therapy, we prob'ly need to be.   ;D ;D

thats the truth  :D

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 02:35:07 am »
...I'm worried about a seeming overall trend for girls to start menstruating at earlier and earlier ages.  ...

Are girls menstruating earlier?  They used to marry girls off at very young ages in past times so I am wondering if they also started their childbearing earlier in those days & it only became later during times when the population exploded and nutritional standards declined for many that the onset became later.  I am also worried about artificial hormones everywhere & also just messing about with hormones in general - things like HRT and the Pill. 

Earlier & earlier sexualisation of girls is definitely a problem. Just yesterday in the news there was a story about girls as young as 7 or 8 going to pole-dancing classes for fitness.  The argument for it was the pole was just being used as a tool to help with the exercise.  I think most people were firmly not in favour! 

:laugh: I'm laughing at first bra stories, but with you not at you!  :)
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 03:59:01 am »
oooooooh I might inevst in a little epilator.
Are they expensive?

Did anyone get a crop top to wear before they got an actual bra - i felt so grown up when i got that!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 09:08:49 pm »
Well, good luck if you try epilating Susie & Kelda - remember that is only my experience though.  My mini one was about half-price the normal sized epilator.  I think they normally range from maybe 30-60GBP.  I have only seen the mini one available from the TV shopping chanel,not in the shops, but I just remembered the normal ones usually come with an additional smaller head too.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over