Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Memories  (Read 24563 times)

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
Re: Favorite Childhood Memories
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 07:39:17 pm »

Those were so much  fun!!! I could be entertained for a long time with either one of them. I copied the comic section of the paper on my Silly Putty,too, but I didn't chew it.  :P They still sell thiis stuff at Cracker Barrel! Thanks for the memories, David.

Shasta, some of us don't know what a Cracker Barrel is though.

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 07:42:50 pm »
Does anyone else remember these vintage soda pops?  Collecting the bottles, finding them on the side of the road or in the trash and then turning them at the store for the deposit?  I use to get my pocket money that way :D and in the summer time spent it on more Pop!

Chocolate Yoo-Hoo, Kickapoo Joy Juice, Frostie Root Beer, Bubble Up, Nesbits Strawberry Soda, Grape Nehi
I remember all of these, except Kickapoo Joy Juice.  I always thought that Kickapoo Joy Juice was a made up thing - a reference to something that had some kind of extra "kick" to it - as in alcohol.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 11:46:31 pm »
I remember all of these, except Kickapoo Joy Juice.  I always thought that Kickapoo Joy Juice was a made up thing - a reference to something that had some kind of extra "kick" to it - as in alcohol.
I thought everybody knew about Kickapoo Joy Juice  :) Just joking, I have never heard of it. Has anyone ever heard of the drink called Orbitz? It has these bits of something suspended in the bottle.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2007, 09:15:33 am »
Shasta, some of us don't know what a Cracker Barrel is though.

Cracker Barrel is a restaurant on one side and a store on the other side. A lot of the things in the store part are in the "nostalgia" category. Christmas is great at Cracker Barrel.

Most of the time the stores are close to the interstate and people stop to eat breakfast there a lot. Meals are served all day, though.

Here is a site:

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/index.cfm

There are 10 of them in AR, and there are some in 41 states. I don't know where you live, but there is a map on the website and it will tell you where the stores are located (if you are in the U.S.). I don't know if there are any Cracker Barrels outside the country.

Anyway---good food, good shoppin'!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2007, 09:28:09 am »
When I was in the 6th grade (you know---the big kids on campus), at lunch time we were allowed to walk off campus to a little store across the street. It was like -- the coolest thing -- (we lived in a farming community---cool was defined differently). You know--away from school authorities; out without parents, etc.

Anyway--the lady at the store made sandwiches, and we bought chips and coke, and candy there if we didn't want to eat in the lunchroom that day. I always bought a Pommac. It was a carbonated drink that looked like beer. That added to the coolness of eating "off campus".

I hadn't thought about it (or seen one) in years until you all started talking about different soft drinks. So I looked it up---it has a very interesting history.

Pommac is a Swedish carbonated soft drink made of fruits and berries and matured in oak barrels for 3 months. The first pommac was made in 1919. The name comes from "Pomm" as in pomme, apple in French, and "ac" as it is matured on oak barrels like cognac. The recipe is kept a secret.

In 1919, Anders Lindahl, a failed businessman from Hudiksvall moved to Stockholm, Sweden, and founded Fructus Fabriker and began to make Pommac. The recipe was made by a Finland-Swedish inventor. The drink was made for the upper classes as an alcohol free substitute for wine.

Dr Pepper distributed a formulation of it in the US as a diet drink from 1963 to 1969 in six-and-a-half- and ten-ounce bottles. It took a while for people to become accustomed to the taste, so sales were slow. When sales remained stagnant after six years, and its sweetener, sodium cyclamate, was banned, Dr Pepper discontinued the product.

Some of its loyal (particularly younger) fans thought of it as "near beer." Pommac is also served as ersatz champagne for teetotallers and car drivers on public celebrations.

Have any of you ever heard of Pommac--or had one? I thought they were very tasty, too.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2007, 12:42:29 pm »
I haven't heard of Pommac. It sounds very interesting, but I doubt I could find one now from the sounds of it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2007, 12:43:38 pm »
Breakfast is excellent at Cracker Barrell!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2007, 07:18:16 pm »
I thought everybody knew about Kickapoo Joy Juice  :) Just joking, I have never heard of it. Has anyone ever heard of the drink called Orbitz? It has these bits of something suspended in the bottle.

I've heard of Orbitz gum, but never Orbitz drinks. What's floating in there? Candy or something? I can't imagine what it could be.

I remember they once sold a drink, a liqueur I think and they put little gold flakes in it. Real gold. But I think they stopped selling it once they figured out people shouldn't consume metallic objects.  :P
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2007, 07:20:57 pm »
I've heard of Orbitz gum, but never Orbitz drinks. What's floating in there? Candy or something? I can't imagine what it could be.

I remember they once sold a drink, a liqueur I think and they put little gold flakes in it. Real gold. But I think they stopped selling it once they figured out people shouldn't consume metallic objects.  :P
No, they still sell Goldschlager! Taht stuff is evil! Almost as bad as Jagermiester but not quite!
I have seen orbitz drinks but could never make myself drink it. It was like a gel more than a liquid with flavor orbz floating in it!
 :P
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2007, 04:15:47 pm »
No, they still sell Goldschlager! Taht stuff is evil! Almost as bad as Jagermiester but not quite!
I have seen orbitz drinks but could never make myself drink it. It was like a gel more than a liquid with flavor orbz floating in it!
 :P

That stuff puts a whole new spin on the phrase "shit a golden brick".

Think about it for a minute.  ;)  :laugh:

I haven't seen that around here in years. I just assumed they pulled it off the shelves. I've always been curious about it, but I never did try it. Eating/drinking gold doesn't sound very tasty to me. I know they sometimes sprinkle gold on the cakes and desserts at the Academy Awards, which also sounds very strange to me. 

Yuck.  :P

Thanks Lee. I'll start looking for Goldschlager. Maybe I'll even try it sometime if I can work up enough nerves.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.