Author Topic: What is the happiest scene?  (Read 20760 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What is the happiest scene?
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:44:33 am »
I needed an antidote to the thread about what scene most makes you cry. I hope this isn't too simple, and that there's more than one answer.

But for me, the happiest scene is the reunion scene, hands down. Despite Alma's pain. I have learned to ignore that because it is so overshadowed by Ennis' and Jack's happiness. No one was ever happier than they are in this scene, and what makes them happy makes me happy.

Ennis no doubt assumed he would never see Jack again, and yet he clearly hadn't forgotten him, is still pining after four years. Now Jack is here, and Ennis can hardly believe his luck.

Meanwhile Jack has always had more control over their separation; all it took to fix it was his decision to send a postcard. But he can't be sure how Ennis will respond. Of course, "YOU BET" may have been a clue. Still, he had good reason to believe Ennis would be pleased enough to see him but not interested in resurrecting the sexual part of their relationship. And yet here is Ennis, not only going along with it, but actually instigating! It must be unbelievable for Jack, too.

If only the movie would end here!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:56:10 am by latjoreme »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: What is the happiest scene?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:02:50 am »
Yep-the reunion scene. There are many happy scenes but the reunion scene is Ennis's best moment.

Heathen

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:19:50 am »
Happiest scene....hmmm...I hate picking one because there are so many precious ones...but...here goes

'Sending up a prayer of thanks' gets my vote because I think Ennis looks the happiest and most at peace here, until the Earl story, of course.

The reunion scene is absolutely priceless, but Alma's emotions interrrupt the joy there, for me.

Now that I'm re-reading this...we don't get many (any?) scenes that are happy without the spectre of pain looming, do we?...Aguirre invading the Brokeback Eden, as an example.

Just my thoughts.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:20:59 am »
Agreed Lynne!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:46:17 am »
Now that I'm re-reading this...we don't get many (any?) scenes that are happy without the spectre of pain looming, do we?...Aguirre invading the Brokeback Eden, as an example.

Hmmm, this is what stops me from considering the flash-back, even though it's the happiest we ever see Jack, to me it's the sadest.

Reunion, definitely 'cause it doesn't have any pain looming, and the prayer of thanks I guess.

But then there's the horsing around after TS2, that looked pretty happy even if Aguirre was watching!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:10 am »
I love the horsing-around post test scene2 also, Chris...It just so obviouly viewed thru Aguirre's binoculars, I can't enjoy it.  I think we really needed one or two scenes of unadulterated happiness before they came down off Brokeback...
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:27 am »
I love the horsing-around post test scene2 also, Chris...It just so obviouly viewed thru Aguirre's binoculars, I can't enjoy it.  I think we really needed one or two scenes of unadulterated happiness before they came down off Brokeback...
-Lynne

As do I.....but I wonder 'how much' Aguirrie actually saw?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:38:39 am »
I may be confussing story and movie, but I'm under the impression that he saw all...something about he waited until Ennis had gone back up to the sheep before making his presence known.  Then was disrespectful/dismissive of Jackl in that he delivered his message to Jack and left w/o even dismounting...that's in the story, right?
-L
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:46 am »
I may be confussing story and movie, but I'm under the impression that he saw all...something about he waited until Ennis had gone back up to the sheep before making his presence known.  Then was disrespectful/dismissive of Jackl in that he delivered his message to Jack and left w/o even dismounting...that's in the story, right?
-L

ROFL....shockin confession #1....I never read the story....

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 07:15:49 am »
Hmm,   I'll have to say the reunion scene too.     Just look at the smile on Ennis's face after he introduces Jack to Alma and the are talking about the kids.   But here even Jacks smile fades quickly.  He and Ennis are anxious to get out of there and I think Jack is uncomfortable being around Alma.   Notice how he waits by the truck the next morning.

Close runner up is the horsing around scene that aguirre saw.     The flasback scene is good too, but that is a different kind of "happy".   More of a contented happy.

oh, as far as how much Aguirre saw, he saw it all.    First of all, the book says so, secondly he mentions it (stemming the rose) the next year when Jack comes back.   And we also  see him looking at his watch to see just how long these boys are going to be screwing around instead of working.